Newbie alert!

WiZu

Hi there, I stumbled up on unraid and thought "This is what I want!"

In the past I was playing many games, now not so much anymore but would like to do it sometimes. I use the PC for surfing, and work now (developer). So my Idea was what if I turn my pc into a unraid server. And set it up with a windows VM with GPU pass through for the incidental gaming sessions, and a Linux VM for the daily/ working stuff. These 2 would not be running at the same moment. I also would love to combine this with Home Assistant, Plex media server and Nas storage.  I was hoping that some of you long term users could tell me if what I want is possible/ realistic?

So task summary of the server would be

• Daily Linux VM (coding editor, internet surfing, music listening, youtube etc)
  • Incidental Gaming on Windows VM (no 4k)
  • 24/7 Home assistant server (now running on a pi)
  • Plex media server that could be used few times a week I think
  • Nas storage for media/ overall storage

Hardware at this moment:

• Intel Core i7 4790K
  • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
  • 4x 4GB Kingston 1600 Memory
  • Asus Strix GTX970 4GB
  • 1x 256GB Samsung SSD (830)
  • 1x 1TB Kingston NVME

HDD's to add to this system (dont know the specs at this moment)

• 3x 1.5TB HDD
  • 1x 1TB HDD

If all of this works and I like how it works I am planning to upgrade the system starting with replacing the HDD's for a few NAS 8/12 TB versions. But first I hope to get some info/ feedback on my plan. Hope to hear from you guys/ girls.

Edited by WiZu

I don't run VM's on my 4790K, but it has zero issues running plenty of dockers and Plex. ;) FYI, plex has been running non stop on my server for 2years now. Once the family uses it, its nearly impossible to tell them I'm shutting down the server when Plex barely does anything idling except an occasional scan when you add new content. 

I also don't have any issues running my video since the 4790k doesn't require a video card to display so you could easily use another Video card for a VM. 

What your asking doesn't seem unreasonable at all. 

I'd consider throwing so more ram at it thou that way you have plenty of headroom to dedicate to VM's and whatever else you end up using it for. Some might argue that 16 is plenty, but its just my opinion of course. ;)

Others will probably chime with some suggestions which I'm interested in now. I might have to play with some VM's now. Lol

Hi there @kizer

Thank you for your response! Good to this type of CPU works well with UnRaid! The memory is getting a upgrade for sure if all works out fine! I am a many tab chrome person (usually around 11/ 13G overall usage) , so well yeah I need some memory :-)!

At this moment I have a simple nas/ kodi setup running, but cant wait to move it over to UnRaid->Storage->Plex.

Could you maybe help me out with a small question about the key options. Do I get it right when I read the `max attached storage devices` are like 6 hard drives? Or do i need to see it as kind of number of volumes I can create? If its about the real harddrives, would it be possible to swap drives out after about half a year with newer/ bigger version without any problems regarding the key?

The only thing unraid cares about is the serial number of your USB. Your license is tied to it. So if you want to build a machine and then swap literally everything out all your doing is taking the USB out and plugging it into the new machine. Wham'0 license works. 

Like @ChatNoir said your current license covers how many connected drives you are using. Yes that does include SSD's too. So if you purchase a 6 drive license and later want to add more drives you simply upgrade your license and your good to go. I purchased a 6 drive license in 2009 and later bought pro for the price of the upgrade. Now I'm back down to 6 drives because I was worried about having 12 drives and one of them failing so I downsized. I was runnning 10 2TB drives. Now I have 5 4TB drives. ;) 

Basically unraid looks at the serial numbers of all your drives and that's how it remembers how they are assigned in your machine. So later when you decide to add more or place in larger ones it will look at your serial numbers and help you upgrade to larger drives or let you add more drives. Always take note of your drive assignments before swapping them out just incase. 

If you look at my Build in my signature if you have show signatures enabled. I've done the following. 

I'm on my 3rd Motherboard

I'm on my 4th Processor

I've swapped out ram 3 times

I've swapped out countless drives

I've swapped out 2 power supplies

I'm using the same case I started with

Now I'm sure your thinking. Its all great that everything is tied to the USB. What happens if the USB crashes or burns out. Don't worry you can request another License for a new USB and then your current USB will be added to a BlackList so it can no longer function and now your on a new USB. You can do it manually or use the MyServer Plugin and obtain it remotely and automagically from within the forum.