Desktop Hardware 24/7

Kippenhof

16 minutes ago, Kippenhof said:

good idea to run the server 24/7

I have one that has run 24x7 for years as have many others.  It get restarted for upgrades of OS and hardware and when changing disk configuration, but other than that, it runs 24x7.

With my electricity costs, running for a month at idle would cost about $2.  I figure that is my real cost of running it 24x7 as other uses of the server cost what they cost to use it as intended.

Like Kizer, all my disks spin down after a period of inactivity (1 hour in my case) and all dockers and VMs are on SSDs.

• Like 1

Wow, Thanks. 

At this time  I just installed all docker images and wanted to migrate my external nas (2 Desktop Seagate 8tb Drives via usb to an raspberry pi in raid 1) into my Unraid Server. The only things where I have no clue where to save are my Nextcloud and element instances. 

1 minute ago, kizer said:

I'm pretty sure there is a NextCloud and a OpenCloud Docker in the Community Applications. 

I know, maybe I've wrongly expressed myself. I am already running Nextcloud with an solid Reverseproxy/Authelia setup, but I don't know, if I enter in apps like Nextcloud/jellyfin/element an path to an hdd, if they would not let the drives spindown. 

If I am honest, I don't really know how that works xD

Oh. Normally the way I setup my stuff. 

For example with Plex

I use UserShares  TV/Movies/Music and set the share to use SSD. So when files are written to TV they are first written to SSD for speed and then every Sunday at 12:05AM they are moved to my Array to the TV folder. So my Drives are not spun up unless I'm reading off them directly or if a file I request via the TV share is stored on the Hard Drive vs the SSD/Cache. 

I'm guessing you could do the same with NextCloud so when files are written they are dropped onto your SSD and drives are not spun up unless you need to read data which would spin up your drives. 

Cache Drives on SSD are kinda neat because you can decide if you want files to be written to your Array/Hard Drives or be written kept on SSD for speed and keeping your Hard Drives asleep. 

You also have the option to use Unassigned Devices which are not in the array and act like their own animal. I don't know if you've seen any of his Videos, but I honetly think most of them should be required viewing. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/c/SpaceinvaderOne/videos

In my Experience all Dockers should be stored in the appdata folder on an SSD for speed and makes a HUGE difference when you are viewing thumbnails if your running Plex.