Plex app

Apologies if this isn't in the right forum area.

I am working on setting up my Unraid server and transitioning from FreeNAS to Unraid.  That being said, one of the most important apps for me to get up and running as soon as possible is Plex.  I am a Plexpass user.

That all being said, there are three different plex apps that seem to get a lot of attention:

binhex plexpass - Binhex's Repository

plex - linuxserver's Repository

Plex Media Server - Official Plex Repository

I thought I recalled seeing that one of the apps was no longer going to be supported/updated.  What is the best app to do?  Is there a compare/contrast between all the apps?  I regularly keep my PMS updated with latest updates so being able to do that is a top priority since I use pretty much all of the Plex features.

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Hawkins12 said:

I thought I recalled seeing that one of the apps was no longer going to be supported/updated.  What is the best app to do?  Is there a compare/contrast between all the apps?  I regularly keep my PMS updated with latest updates so being able to do that is a top priority since I use pretty much all of the Plex features.

All three docker containers use the same Plex Media Server.  The docker container is just packaging.  There are some minor differences, but nothing that causes one to work better than the other or expose something in PMS the others do not.

Primarily, it comes down to support.  Since Linuxserver.io and Binhex Plex containers are created by member of these forums, they are supported here.  The Plex official version is supported in the Plex forums but not here,

Just now, Hoopster said:

Primarily, it comes down to support.  Since Linuxserver.io and Binhex Plex containers are created by member of these forums, they are supported here.  The Plex official version is supported in the Plex forums but not here,

Thanks for the reply.  I recall in a Youtube video (which I can't find any longer) that one of the Plex Apps was no longer going to be updated.  I believe the reasoning was there are other plex apps that work fine and they wanted to refocus efforts on other things.  I think it was Binhex but  not entirely sure.  Any idea on this?

Thanks!

Just an FYI. I've been running the Offical Plex Docker the one not maintained here and had no issues. Not that it should sway you in any manner. Just saying. Lol

One no longer maintained would of been the one that  LimeTech aka the creators of unraid built is no longer being kept up and I'm pretty sure its no longer in CA (Community Apps)

Just now, kizer said:

Just an FYI. I've been running the Offical Plex Docker the one not maintained here and had no issues. Not that it should sway you in any manner. Just saying. Lol

One no longer maintained would of been the one that  LimeTech aka the creators of unraid built is no longer being kept up. 

Thanks - that may have been it -- LimeTech's  -- i believe it was a fairly recent annoucement

Edited by Hawkins12
Just now, Hawkins12 said:

one of the Plex Apps was no longer going to be updated

The version no longer supported is one that Limetech themselves created.  The three mentioned previously are all actively supported.

I think there is even a 4th from the Hotio repository.

Personally, I use the Linuxserver.io version as I have a lot of their other containers.  Binhex is also very good and well supported.

Basically its your choice. 

You have a few Pickup Trucks sitting in front of you. They all Haul Gravel just depends do you want the Ford, Chevy or Dodge. No matter what they all have a Toyota Motor in them anyways. ;)

Silly Explanation, but I'm sure you get the idea. 

Also if you decide you don't like one docker you can always backup your Plex folder and remove the docker and then switch and re-map everything and your back in business. 

1 hour ago, kizer said:

Basically its your choice. 

You have a few Pickup Trucks sitting in front of you. They all Haul Gravel just depends do you want the Ford, Chevy or Dodge. No matter what they all have a Toyota Motor in them anyways. ;)

Silly Explanation, but I'm sure you get the idea. 

Also if you decide you don't like one docker you can always backup your Plex folder and remove the docker and then switch and re-map everything and your back in business. 

Makes perfect sense.  Thanks -- hard to see what I'd dislike about one docker vs. another.  I just want the ability to update Plex as new versions come out (which is typically 2 times a month or so it seems).  Doing this in FreeNAS was a fiasco -- hopefully it's easier with one of these dockers.