Lost files after new config

Hi there

Following is a series of events, that has led me to lose a lot of files, including recorded video backups, i would rather not lose.

I hope some of you are able to help me!

I have an unraid system with 3 2TB disks and a single 2TB parity disk.

I have had the system going for several years now and I use the Plex media server Docker to serve media-files to my TV. Unraid was version 6.3.

Yesterday I ran into a problem, where my Plex Docker config wasempty, and i noticed my AppData shares had not been set to cache only.

So I wanted to reinstall the Plex community app, but I got stuck on a disclaimer pop-up in an infinite loop (Choosing to only trust community apps, but the OK button triggered the disclaimer again), so i decided to update the out-of-date Unraid OS, in the hope to get past that issue.

The update finished, but upon rebooting i got a boot error "Failed to load LDLINUX.C32"
So I download unraid again, formatted the flash drive and assigned the license key to a brand new config.

Not remembering the setup of my drives, i assigned all 4 drives as Data drives, and the single unmountable one was identified, as my parity drive. so I assigned that to parity and the other ones to disk 1-3 along with my SSD cache drive and started a parity check.

While most of my data seems to be restored just fine, my Media share, which contains movies, series and most importantly my own recorded video backup material along with premiere and after effect projects, seems to be completely empty.

It also seems as if the used space on the array has gone down significantly - can one of these steps, have simply wiped my data-drives?

Is it possible that the single unmountable drive, was not really my parity drive, but instead one of my data-drives?

Nothing obviously wrong in the diagnostics, and they do show that you have almost certainly assigned the correct disk to parity.    It might be worth running a file system check on each of the data disks as a check that there is no corruption at that level.

a few minor anomalies I noticed in share settings:

w——w has files on cache with Use Cache=No.   The No setting prevents files moving from cache to array

system has files on disk1 with Use Cache=prefer.    Might want to check out what/why files have not been moved to cache

appdata has files on array disks with Use Cache=Only.    The Only setting prevents files moving from array to cache.

Hi itimpi - how would i run a file system check on the drives - we are talking terminal check disk or something similar, right?

As for the Appdata share anomali, i think this is due to a fix I made because of my docker losing config (As the appdata was not set to Cache only) right before making the new config?

Edited by sorenki
8 minutes ago, sorenki said:

Hi itimpi - how would i run a file system check on the drives - we are talking terminal check disk or something similar, right?

As for the Appdata share anomali, i think this is due to a fix I made because of my docker losing config (As the appdata was not set to Cache only) right before making the new config?

No - there is an option to run the check from the GUI by clicking on the drive on the Main tab.    For XFS drives you need the array running in Maintenance mode.

this is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the GuI.

Thank you - i found that in link another forum-post.
I've stopped my array, starting it up in maintenance mode, running the checks for my xfs drives with -v

Ran fine for about a minute for each drive - nothing special to note from the verbose output, so I don't think there is any corruption here. :(