[SOLVED] Allocate CPU cores ONLY to unRAID?

Good morning:

I think I remember seeing somewhere that you can pin CPU cores ONLY to the unRAID system itself, but I can't remember what it's called.  I'd really like to dedicate a couple cores to unRAID as sometimes I have a Docker container or something on the fritz that's pinning its CPU cores which grinds the whole system to a halt.  Even the UI won't load until whatever is hammering the CPU stops.  It's really annoying.

What's it called when you pin CPU cores to the system itself?...because I REALLY need to do it...lol

Thanks.

As an example, if I'm seeing this...

image.thumb.png.b66597a94e2f81dcba67b006e77efe5a.png 

...I know that, if I try to go see how I have the CPU pinned for instance, all I'm going to see is this...

image.thumb.png.e9f28802b29b09039f09d9d3ffcf5b16.png

...the Docker and VM tabs do it, too and sometimes the entire UI takes forever to load.  I have all the VMs and Docker containers pinned to their own CPUs, but they share them with the system.  I think (hope) that, if I set a couple cores ONLY to the system itself, it will stop that.

Assuming no VMs, you would simply pin every container to specific cores, and never touch any core that you want unraid to have exclusive access to.

With VMs, you would isolate the CPU cores that you want the VMs to use from the OS and then do the above.

Note that it is basically impossible though to completely isolate containers from the OS, as the OS can if it needs to use any core that's not isolated to them.

If you really want to go hog wild, then you isolate every core from the OS except for say 0 and 1, then pin what you want your VMs to use and you could pin each container to a SINGLE isolated core.  It is not possible in this circumstance to pin a container to 2 or more isolated cores and have it execute on any of them except for the lowest numbered one.

• rmp5s changed the title to [SOLVED] Allocate CPU cores ONLY to unRAID?