Port Forwarding for My Servers Issue

I have just watched the Spaceinvaderone video on My Servers.  I am stuck at the port forwarding portion however.  I have the same issue with Plex so not sure if my ISP is blocking this ability or what?  Basically no matter what I choose as an external port it will not successfully allow my to connect to it.  Are there some steps to go through to see if the block is on my ISP's end before I call it quits?

But does the modem have a built-in router?  You will either have to put the modem into bridge mode and reconfigure the router slightly (but many ISPs now explicitly don't allow this on their modems without paying for a business account), or put your router into the modem's DMZ)

1 hour ago, Squid said:

But does the modem have a built-in router?  You will either have to put the modem into bridge mode and reconfigure the router slightly (but many ISPs now explicitly don't allow this on their modems without paying for a business account), or put your router into the modem's DMZ)

The modem is stand alone. Not sure how to get into the modem settings or if it is even possible?  It looks very bare bones with just the phone line coming in and an Ethernet cable coming out.  I have a Netgear Nighthawk router separate from it which I set up the port forwarding rule on with no luck.

5 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

If the WAN IP is on the list of private IP's, (192.168.X.X or similar as mentioned in the wiki) then it's private. If it's not, then it's public.

My WAN I believe is in this format 10.36.xx.xxx.  That would be public then correct?

When I do a Whats My IP though it shows a 206.83..xx.x format though.

Edited by Johnny Utah
3 minutes ago, Johnny Utah said:

My WAN I believe is in this format 10.36.xx.xxx.  That would be public then correct?

No. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network#Private_IPv4_addresses

The very first line in that section means that if the address starts with 10.X it's private.

You need to

14 hours ago, Squid said:

You will either have to put the modem into bridge mode and reconfigure the router slightly (but many ISPs now explicitly don't allow this on their modems without paying for a business account), or put your router into the modem's DMZ)

Either search the model number of the modem and find directions on how to accomplish this, or call your ISP tech support and get them to walk you through it.

19 hours ago, jonathanm said:

No. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network#Private_IPv4_addresses

The very first line in that section means that if the address starts with 10.X it's private.

You need to

Either search the model number of the modem and find directions on how to accomplish this, or call your ISP tech support and get them to walk you through it.

Solved:  A quick call to my ISP and they confirmed I had a private IP.  They kindly assigned me a public one and I am good to go!