Looking for recommendation for Low Power AMD CPU

DoeBoye

Hey Folks,

I'm running a Sempron 140, and love it, but am considering replacing it with something with a bit more juice (without replacing mobo) because I've started using the server for Downloading/Extracting content as well, and may start using it for encoding. Not really sure if it's necessary, but thought I'd start doing a little investigation...

I'd like to keep the chip as low-power (watts-wise) as possible while increasing the oomph... Any recommendations? My 11-drive server (including cache and parity) currently uses around 97 watts with drives spun down and idle, and 150 watts with drives spun up and serving content.

EDIT: Board supports AM2/AM2+/AM3

Thanks!

:)

BE-2400 underclocked and undervolted.

Thanks! That looks like it will almost double the performance I currently get (Based on CPU Benchmark). Found one on Ebay for $57! :)

Anyone using a AMD Athlon II X3 400E? Came across it on Ebay. Claims 45w TDP as well, but looks like it does even better on synthetic benchmarks. Selling for $80...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AMD-Athlon-II-X3-400E-AM2-AM3-CPU-Triple-Core-45W-/220743166302?pt=CPUs&hash=item336551695e

Your mobo will play a large role... particularly the chipset.

One rule of thumb is to look at the size of the heatsinks on the mobo... big heatsinks means it generates heat and that means wasted Watts.

My favorite unRAID mobo for low power server is the Biostar TA690G AM2 with a BE-2400.

BE-2400 underclocked and undervolted.

Thanks! That looks like it will almost double the performance I currently get (Based on CPU Benchmark). Found one on Ebay for $57! :)

Anyone using a AMD Athlon II X3 400E? Came across it on Ebay. Claims 45w TDP as well, but looks like it does even better on synthetic benchmarks. Selling for $80...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AMD-Athlon-II-X3-400E-AM2-AM3-CPU-Triple-Core-45W-/220743166302?pt=CPUs&hash=item336551695e

I have an Athlon II X3 445 unlocked to a Phenom II B45 and it runs very cool.  Lots of those are secretly Phenoms.