Reading contents of a drive pulled from raid.

I recently replaced a drive in an existing raid. I was only doing this to increase the capacity of the array. The old drive was and seems to be working correctly.

Due to me hatefully doing so I found myself adding a driving instead of replacing the drive. In short after all is said and done I now have a working array with the new drive with more space and a drive with SOME of the my data on it. Luckily this data isn't critical in anyway, But part of me wondered if there was a way for me to access the drive and copy the information off it?

I've tried connecting it to a stand alone Linux machine, Drive will not mount stating "cant read superblock".

I've downloaded a few utilities on a windows machine and CAN see information on the drive, But to copy the data I need to pay for the application. This information is not worth enough to pay for the application.

So as it stands, Is there a way to recover the information using a stand alone machine? It now is more of just a challenge to see if it is possible.

I have, And that is how I have it connected. But when I goto mount the drive it gives me the "Cant read superblock" error. Given that the other application can SEE info on it I am guessing I am just missing a command or an addition piece that is needed for Linux to read it.

In unraid it will not mount the drive. When I look at the logs I am getting the same error.

6 minutes ago, Yamanipanuchi said:

The disk WAS part of an array. It is no longer. Effectively taking the files that were on it with it.

What kind of array? If it was any kind of striped array (anything other than RAID 1 or Unraid, really) it won't have complete files on it.

If it was a Data Drive from the Unraid Array and you left the File System settings as default it would be in XFS format.

You would be able to mount this as a device with the unassigned devices plugin.

Optionally if you plugged it into a windows machine for example you could install https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows/ to read the filesystem under windows.

The Trial use to let you have unlimited access for 30 days that would be enough time to copy the files off.

You can Verify the Drive with Auto Repair and see if you can read it at that point.

16 hours ago, Maticks said:

If it was a Data Drive from the Unraid Array and you left the File System settings as default it would be in XFS format.

You would be able to mount this as a device with the unassigned devices plugin.

Optionally if you plugged it into a windows machine for example you could install https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows/ to read the filesystem under windows.

The Trial use to let you have unlimited access for 30 days that would be enough time to copy the files off.

You can Verify the Drive with Auto Repair and see if you can read it at that point.

Perfect! That worked! I had a feeling there had to be a way! Thank you for the help!