Looking for a way to see disk I/O

SavellM

Hey all,

I'm looking for a way to view the current read/writes and MB/s to a specific Unassigned Device.

Basically I have started to do Chia plotting, and found a way to get it running via docker, but I want to monitor the disk I/O to see if its running faster than in a VM. 

Is there any app or anything I can run to see how my drive I/O and general server is performing?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mondama13 said:

I want to start Chia Plotting/farming but i cant debate if i should have the main farm on unRAID, Ubuntu VM, or a Windows. I prefer as much GUI as possible since I dont have any CLI experience and I dont want to mess something up.

I plot on unRAID and my windows gaming pc and then copy's the plots to unRAID where it gets farmed.

I have a windows VM with the full Chia node running (farming, plotting, etc) basically as it installs.  I have another Unraid box in which I got the above docker running (thanks for that post OP by the way).  I want the docker to only plot files.  Can anyone tell me exactly how to do that.  I already have the mnemonic key file and the directories set up.  I just want it to plot files that I can transfer to my main Chia VM.  Exactly how can I instruct the docker to only plot?  Thanks for the help in advance.🙂

On 4/20/2021 at 6:02 PM, SavellM said:

Hey all,

I'm looking for a way to view the current read/writes and MB/s to a specific Unassigned Device.

Basically I have started to do Chia plotting, and found a way to get it running via docker, but I want to monitor the disk I/O to see if its running faster than in a VM. 

Is there any app or anything I can run to see how my drive I/O and general server is performing?

Have you found something suitable? 

I've been using dstat. Specifically dstat -pcmrd

You can install this with Nerd Pack. Gives you a decent (although I don't completely understand it) view of I/O. 

I was also using top or htop to watch my CPU utilization. As the unRAID dashboard isn't the bet metric. top will tell you how many tasks are waiting for a CPU. I think this can help you tune your plotting better than just a graph. 

I'm going to try out Swar next.