Unraid Valheim Dedicated Server Guide

34 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

I would suppose that Snipe3000 thinks about the update of the server content when the gamedevs release a new version.

The description actually says that you simply have to restart the container if a update of the game is released:

grafik.png.6f4a35fd370670defc9f902f2b935718.png

The reason why I asked @Snipe3000 is because I implemented also a update script (because many user requested it) that will check automagically if a newer version is available every hour and restart the container if a new version is found if this variable is set to 'true':

grafik.thumb.png.70b866242b541e8ad596ffd5d610858a.png

• Thanks 1

Do you know the best way to capture game logs? My understanding is that the runtime has some output into standard out about who logs in etc but doesnt save this info anywhere, I added " >> /var/log/valheim.log > /dev/null &" to GAME_PARAMS to capture it but it doesnt seem to work. 

So that it runs like this:

/serverdata/serverfiles/valheim_server.x86_64 -name [servername] -port 2456 -world Dedicated -password [password] -public 1 >> /var/log/valheim.log > /dev/null &

Edited by maxwell
words

Hi, I have a question regarding velheim game docker server, is was OK and running with I just install the docker, but when I stop the docker and copy in my world files from my desktop, I not able to login, and keep having this log is the loop. 

I have the world name the same in the docker and my desktop also, all other setting is default. 

Anything I been missing?

Anyone can help? :(

Screenshot_20210423-084930.png

8 hours ago, maxwell said:

So that it runs like this:

It should be enough to add '>> /var/log/valheim.log', no guarantee that this works...

What you can actually do is to set the Variable Debug Log output to 'true' and then add '>> /var/log/valheim.log' (this is very verbose!).

But keep in mind that you save it to /var/log directory inside the container, wouldn't it be better to save the log to the server directory?

Isn't the Docker log enough?

7 hours ago, Ong Hui Hoong said:

Anything I been missing?

Something seems wrong with the save game.

From what I've see the container has also problems to connect to the internet, are you sure that the container has exclusive access to the internet without any blocking software like PiHole or Steam Cache in front of it?

Please go to the support thread from the container and read the second recommended post in the game server thread.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, ich777 said:

It should be enough to add '>> /var/log/valheim.log', no guarantee that this works...

What you can actually do is to set the Variable Debug Log output to 'true' and then add '>> /var/log/valheim.log' (this is very verbose!).

But keep in mind that you save it to /var/log directory inside the container, wouldn't it be better to save the log to the server directory?

Isn't the Docker log enough?

Thanks for the response, The Docker log doesnt have specific game information, I'm trying to see who logs on and when and store this information somewhere. Doing it like this doesnt seem to generate any output unfortunately...

10 hours ago, ich777 said:

What do you mean exactly? 😅

You made this beautiful guid/tutorial... 😍

I'm only here to give support for the container itself. ;)

It’s just a meme I saw once.  Glad you are answering all the questions because uh, idk anything.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, maxwell said:

Thanks for the response, The Docker log doesnt have specific game information, I'm trying to see who logs on and when and store this information somewhere. Doing it like this doesnt seem to generate any output unfortunately...

Go to your template and click on 'Show more...' and set 'Debug Log output' to 'true' this will show you everything including who does log on and off, but as said above this is very verbose.

• 1 month later...

Hey, thanks for this!

I'm having moments of brain lags and can't think through on how to properly configure subdomain redirection on a dynamic IP using cloudflare and duckdns.

I'm supposed to add an A record in cloudflare which redirects valheim.mydomain.com to my external IP.

Not sure how to properly configure this so it follows duckns?

1 hour ago, Tzundoku said:

I'm having moments of brain lags and can't think through on how to properly configure subdomain redirection on a dynamic IP using cloudflare and duckdns.

Why would you do that?

If you have your IP exposed you can simply join from ingame with your domainname: yourdomain.net since the game will resolve "yourdomain.net" to something like 5.10.246.31 (only an example of a public IP) and it automatically adds the default port 2456

If you have a second container running on your machine simply enter (depending on the port that you've exposed): yourdomain.net:2556 for example.

Hope that makes sense to you... :)

38 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Why would you do that?

If you have your IP exposed you can simply join from ingame with your domainname: yourdomain.net since the game will resolve "yourdomain.net" to something like 5.10.246.31 (only an example of a public IP) and it automatically adds the default port 2456

If you have a second container running on your machine simply enter (depending on the port that you've exposed): yourdomain.net:2556 for example.

Hope that makes sense to you... :)

I thought I had to! :P

I have my ip proxied through cloudflare, unsure if that counts. I just tried adding a CNAME that points valheim.mydomain.com to mydomain.duckns.com, doesn't seem to work though.

Just tried accessing through IP and that didn't work either though, so my issue is probably related to my mikrotik router settings not playing well with the containers' fixed IP assigned through unraid (although I can ping the container, its not showing up on my routers IP leases so possible issue there with forwarding traffic).

Thanks for the reply!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nightfall said:

I did everything related to the Blog, the Docker container is running but I can't find it locally and just overall i am not sure whats the problem.

Everything seems fine and the container is running like it should. ;)

Please go to the support thread for the container, also @luckyy has made a pretty good writeup here:

Also please post a screenshot from your template in the support thread.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Tibbe said:

I'm trying to copy over an old Dedicated.db and Dedicated.fwl from another server but on server/Docker start those two files get overwritten for some reason.

Please go to the support thread for the container, I've linked you here a good write up from @luckyy:

I can only imagine that the world is not compatible with the server, are you sure that you've named the world in the template exactly the same as it where before, otherwise it won't work.