New Unraid build help

Hi there,

Planning this build for an Unraid NAS + Windows 10 VM. I have searched for weeks about the topic but still have some unanswered questions, hope I will get more chance here.

The NAS usage will be normal file server (planning to reach 60 Tb not counting parity) , and the Win10 VM will be used for Digital art software (Clip Studio Paint) with a Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 (this device support touch functions). I want to use ECC memory, and I am concerned about USB and GPU passthrough, latest Nvidia drivers and stuff.

The parts:

• CPU: Ryzen 5 3600/3600x - Ryzen 7 2700/2700x. Used 2nd gen Ryzen is the same price as new 3rd gen, which one is better? Especially concerned about motherboard choice and ECC compatibility.

• MB: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI). ECC support is listed with Ryzen 3000. Nothing about the 2000 series. Does anyone know if this board REALLY support ECC functions? I mean not just running the rams but running them with their error detecting/correcting function. Any other tested board?

• ECC RAM: KSM26ED8/16ME. Only ECC memory present on QVL of Asus and Asrock motherboards that list support of ECC.

• HBA: LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA Fujitsu D2607-A21 FW:P20 9211-8i IT Mode. Cheapest 8i HBA card I have been able to find. Should I be wary of something?

• Cables: SAS to SATA. Regular 1 SAS to 4 SATAs cables.

What do you think? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

• 10 months later...