Getting 'yellow warnings' to respect drive temp settings (on 6.9.1)

3 hours ago, Squid said:

First, you should update to 6.9.2

would love to...but when I did - drive spin down after timeout stopped happening...bug report submitted.

3 hours ago, Squid said:

If it still happens, then delete smart-one.cfg from /config on the flash drive, reboot and set things back up if necessary

the original smart-one.cfg seemed to have the correct information (and I have rebooted multiple times since originally changing/correcting the numbers).  Will try again - super appreciate the follow-up & response!

Ok...when I went back to update/change the numbers (changing them on the line and clicking 'Apply') - it doesn't seem to 'take' - they revert back to the original numbers after the 'Apply' is pressed and screen refreshes!  BUT looking at the file from the CLI shows the correct info in the file.  I guess it is just waiting for a reboot to show on the screen?

And such a weird thing....my 'Cache' drives are showing the temps in 'F' (which is what my system default is) but the 'Dev 1' drive (which is part of 'Unassigned Drives') is showing its information in Celsius?  (the correct information with my updated temps - but still different format)....I'm thinking that might be the issue?

Thanks again - dave

Just now, ds679 said:

And such a weird thing....my 'Cache' drives are showing the temps in 'F' (which is what my system default is) but the 'Dev 1' drive (which is part of 'Unassigned Drives') is showing its information in Celsius?  (the correct information with my updated temps - but still different format)....I'm thinking that might be the issue?

OH....and another weird issue.....my Cache drive entries include their names....while the assigned drive entry does not?  Here is my new file:

root@Tower4:/boot/config# cat smart-one.cfg 
[GIGABYTE_GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD_SN202808919XXX]
GIGABYTE_GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD_SN202808919XXX_hotTemp="140"
GIGABYTE_GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD_SN202808919XXX_maxTemp="158"
at0="5"
at1="187"
at3="197"
at4="198"
at5="199"
[GIGABYTE_GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD_SN202808919XXX]
GIGABYTE_GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD_SN202808919XXX_hotTemp="140"
GIGABYTE_GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD_SN202808919XXX_maxTemp="158"
at0="5"
at1="187"
at3="197"
at4="198"
at5="199"
[Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_250GB_S4P3NG0M1159XXX]
hotTemp="60"
maxTemp="70"

And just another follow-up.....after rebooting the GUI page for each drive shows non-corrected values (still the default ones) for all of my NVMe drives....BUT the CLI reading of the files shows the accurate/corrected values.

Something seems really broken?

welp....I figured that 'time would tell' if those changes were successful.....the answer is no.

Just received the 'Yellow Warning' with the 115F temp (whereas the actual file shows correct/higher temp) and it is ignoring it.

Is it an 'Unassigned Devices' issue?  (UPDATE:  Nope....as it just happened to my other NVMe drive - yellow warning @ 115 and not the set temp)

-dave

Edited by ds679
  • 1 month later...

I am also having the same issue with an unassigned device: Samsung NVME drive.  I get the yellow warning at the general warning temperature of 115F, whereas the smart-one.cfg file shows:

[Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_1TB_S59ANM0R50XXXXA]
hotTemp="55"
maxTemp="60"

Jeff

55 minutes ago, diyjeff said:

Jeff

What happens if you configure the system to use Celsius temperatures, instead of Fahrenheit? Settings -> Display Settings -> Temperature Unit, and note the information in the GUI help:

Selects the temperature unit for the disk temperature thresholds. Changing the unit will adjust the existing value in the disk temperature thresholds as appropriate.

Make sure any newly entered values represent the selected temperature unit.

I only ever use the Celsius scale and haven't had any problems, except for the fact that at one point the mechanism for updating the smart-one.cfg file was broken. The drives report their temperatures in Celsius so displaying them in Fahrenheit and comparing them with threshold values involves a trivial calculation but there might be some bug there.

OK.  I changed to Celsius and also bumped the warning and critical temperatures by 1 degree C so that smart-one.cfg is:

[Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_1TB_S59ANM0R50XXXXA]
hotTemp="55"
maxTemp="60"

and still get a yellow warning that the device is hot (50C), not when it is >55C.

The general disk warning temperature is 46C.

Jeff