Frequent crashing on 6.9.2

I recently decided to upgrade from 6.8.3 to 6.9.2. I first attempted this a couple weeks back, and immediately noticed some pretty severe stability issues. I'd typically end up rebooting my system for one reason or another, but it wasn't uncommon to have uptimes of several months. After upgrade, my server would typically crash within 12-24h. The symptoms would often first manifest as inability to load docker or VM tabs in the web interface, up to loss of the web interface itself. Typically I could still ping the server, though not in every case. At the time, I thought it might be related to a mining VM I was running on my 1080ti. (I thought possibly the card might be going bad.) Eventually, I rolled back to 6.8.3, and the stability issues disappeared. Recently I removed that video card to a separated machine (where it's been rock-solid, fwiw), and decided last night to attempt moving back to 6.9.2 again. The same thing is happening - I think I got about 12-14h of uptime before the system crashed.

I could roll back to 6.8.3 again, but if it's possible to figure out the issue that would be great. I've attached a diagnostic. Any help that might be provided is appreciated. Thanks!

unraid-diagnostics-20210422-0928.zip

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Macvlan call traces are usually the result of having dockers with a custom IP address, more info below.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/70529-650-call-traces-when-assigning-ip-address-to-docker-containers/

Thanks for the response! Is there something in the diagnostics that's indicating this might be the cause of the crashing? 

I read through that thread, and I'm also using a pihole docker, so I'll disable that for the time being. (Pretty sure that's my only one with a mapped IP.) I feel like I might've read that 6.9 modified how some of the docker networking works - is there a better way I might map an IP onto a container now? 

Edited by supagold

Hi there,

Let's try booting 6.9.2 in safe mode and disable all docker containers for the time being.  See if that works.  If so, start turning containers on one at a time, giving ample time for the issue to occur in between, until you've been able to reproduce the issue.  Then we can look more specifically at that container to see what's wrong.  If none of them give you an issue, it may be an issue with a plugin.  Either way, we need to step through the troubleshooting to figure out what's causing your problem.

On 4/26/2021 at 3:07 PM, jonp said:

Hi there,

Let's try booting 6.9.2 in safe mode and disable all docker containers for the time being.  See if that works.  If so, start turning containers on one at a time, giving ample time for the issue to occur in between, until you've been able to reproduce the issue.  Then we can look more specifically at that container to see what's wrong.  If none of them give you an issue, it may be an issue with a plugin.  Either way, we need to step through the troubleshooting to figure out what's causing your problem.

Thanks for the followup. I have narrowed it down to either my pihole or unifi dockers, which are the only ones that have an assigned IP. The other dockers are currently up and running with normal stability. This does seem to match the thread that JorgeB reference, the difference is that it looks like those people were adding new hardware, where mine is existing hardware that's perfectly stable under 6.8.x and only shows issues with 6.9. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...