Server Detected Hardware Errors

I got the following alert from Fix Common Problems. I did not have mcelog installed at the time I received this message. It's installed now, although I haven't received the notification again since I installed. I have attached my diagnostics for further assistance. Thanks in advance!

Your server has detected hardware errors. You should install mcelog via the NerdPack plugin, post your diagnostics and ask for assistance on the unRaid forums. The output of mcelog (if installed) has been logged

EDIT: Updated Diagnostic report with mce log

Edited by cmarshall85
Update diagnostics with mce log
  • Thanks 1

Ok I checked out syslog.txt from the diagnostics and included relevant log entries below.

It looks like on April 17th the Hardware Error occurred:

Apr 17 21:30:26 Tower kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
Apr 17 21:30:26 Tower kernel: [Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required.
Apr 17 21:30:26 Tower kernel: [Hardware Error]: CPU:0 (17:71:0) MC27_STATUS[-|CE|MiscV|-|-|-|-|SyndV|-]: 0x982000000002080b
Apr 17 21:30:26 Tower kernel: [Hardware Error]: IPID: 0x0001002e00000500, Syndrome: 0x000000005a020001
Apr 17 21:30:26 Tower kernel: [Hardware Error]: Power, Interrupts, etc. Extended Error Code: 2
Apr 17 21:30:26 Tower kernel: [Hardware Error]: Power, Interrupts, etc. Error: Error on GMI link.
Apr 17 21:30:26 Tower kernel: [Hardware Error]: cache level: L3/GEN, mem/io: IO, mem-tx: GEN, part-proc: SRC (no timeout)

FCP logs this every day when it runs the daily scan:

Apr 18 04:40:08 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Machine Check Events detected on your server
Apr 18 04:40:08 Tower root: mcelog not installed

On April 22nd I installed mcelog. From April 23rd to present, FCP logs it slightly different on its daily scan.

Apr 23 04:40:08 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Machine Check Events detected on your server
Apr 23 04:40:08 Tower root: mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 23: mcelog does not support this processor.  Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead.
Apr 23 04:40:08 Tower root: CPU is unsupported

This thread I found explains why the log is slightly different once mcelog was installed (mcelog doesn't work with AMD).

My questions are as follows:

1. Is that initial error anything to worry about if it just occurred once?
  2. Do I keep getting the FCP popup notification about a hardware error, even after I told it to ignore it, because that error from the 17th still exists in the system log and FCP keeps detecting it when it runs the daily scan? 
  3. If I just reboot the server, and the error from the 17th doesn't happen again, will I not get that FCP popup notification anymore because the syslog will be erased on reboot and will no longer contain that error from the 17th?
Edited by cmarshall85
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, cmarshall85 said:

mcelog doesn't work with AMD

The note about mcelog not supporting the processor is a misnomer.  It's telling you (in very bad english) that it's using the edac_mce_amd package instead)

Do I keep getting the FCP popup notification about a hardware error,

You shouldn't

If I just reboot the server, and the error from the 17th doesn't happen again, will I not get that FCP popup notification anymore because the syslog will be erased on reboot and will no longer contain that error from the 17th?

Yes

• Like 1