when using a bittorrent should you download to Array or a single drive?

comet424

so i used  transmission and deluge both have pros and cons

but i wanted to know should i be using the array to save files to as it slowy downloads.. as the drives are constantly spinning

or should you be doing a Single drive to download to and then move files to the array when complete..

what is the best way.. i guess if to a single drive then array spun down..  but if saving to the array then the array  is faster and constantly spinning etc

but i not sure what way to go.. what do you guys recommend

i dont have a spare SSD   but is using a SSD also a way to go... just trying to improve performance on unraid   and such as i dont wanna go the freenas way as that os looks nice but i dont like how it hates plex and u need all the same drives etc.. so i really like unraid.. i just wanna try to get the best speed out of it..  i just a home user   no business here but wouldnt mind best speeds too   but figure i start with transmissions

Edited by comet424

The best performance is to use a SSD in a pool (so it is not part of the array), and then unpack to a share with a Use Cache = Yes setting.    That way the files stay on the pool during the download and any unpack process (keeping array disks spun down), and then gets moved to the array when mover runs (typically overnight).

oh ok so i only have a cache drive ssd for dockers and the appdata and my vms ...  i find dockers are slow  on the webpage  if i dont use unraid for a while.. but once using  it  it refreshes fast.. not sure how i do that to fix it?  and i not sure do i need 2 ssds for vms  appdata dockers .   as i find also  Plex sometimes slow..

but like i mentioned it worked hands down over freenas and although its free it was a headache but people i see always say you want performance you go with freenas and unraid is an infant..  but cant please everyone right ;....

so can you have more then 1 cache pool?    so 1 be for the app data dockers vms and 1 for downloads ssd..   as i never used more then 1 ssd  1 couldnt afford it.. and 2nd only gotten into SSDs last couple years..

and this setting for use Cache =yes   is that the "shares"   

so i make a downloads share  i set this cache =yes... and ya i dunno how that goes after that...  since i only had 1 ssd for unraid  

and can  you ..

1 ssd   dockers/appdata

1 ssd vms

1 ssd downloads

and or would the ssd  link to the array when you mount it..  as i have never used an ssd with unraid till about dec last year   i only ever used the array  

so i fairly new with SSD's  using with unraid  i put everything into upgrading the HD  to bigger sizes 1  at a time from my 2 tb drive and 2.5tb drives  to 12  so i can backl up mine my parents and sisters files...

and on top of that is there a better SSD cache drive to use.. or a Size that works the best... like with Unraid there are certain  USB drives you need to use with unraid to boot up

is that the same for unraid

i currently use a XPG 1TB nvme ssd  for everything ...  but i usually use WD hard drives and SSDs for my laptops  but is one SSD better then another for cache unraid etc