Boot To GUI Mode Display Resolution Change?

Hi All,

I am using UnRaid OS version 6.9.1 and booting straight into GUI mode on the same stand alone machine. Additionally, I am using an LG 4k Monitor which is connected to an Nvidia 710 card via an HDMI cable and also have an Nvidia 1030 for my Ubuntu passthrough.  The problem is my UnRaid OS GUI resolution makes everything on the display appear very big as shown in screen capture below:

image.thumb.png.d71868e03fa3262d130659e7d9e79bd7.png

When I go to the DISPLAY SETTINGS area in the GUI I cannot find any monitor resolution setting that will allow me to see my GUI in a 4k resolution.

How do I install an UnRaid OS compatible Nvidia driver that will allow me to view my UnRaid OS GUI in 4k mode?  Any tips will be greatly welcome.

Edited by slipstream
1 hour ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Install the Nvidia driver plugin from Community Applications.

Once installed (+ server reboot) the GUI will default to 4K, so the scaling should be improved.

tjb_altf4,

Thanks for the help.  Just a followup question I hope you or anybody in the community can answer.  I have two Nvidia cards.  One is a 710 and the other is a 1030.  The 1030 is designated for my Ubuntu VM and setup as a passthrough card. And the 710 is designated for my UnRaid OS to run in GUI mode.  Is it possible to install this Nvidia driver plugin you mention so it only impacts the 710 card and not the 1030 card? My 1030 card is working great for my Ubuntu VM as a passthrough and I would like to know before I install this Nvidia driver plugin for my 710 card if this driver can be installed on a sever that has two different Nvidia cards without it conflicting with my 1030 card.  Any information will be greatly welcome. Thank you for your time.

Edited by slipstream

I have a similar setup with a 710 and 1060.  

All you need to do to ensure the 1030 is available for the VM is to go to Tools > System Devices in the Unraid interface, and check the box next to that card (and any associated devices i.e. audio controller), and press the BIND SELECTED TO VFIO AT BOOT button.  Upon next reboot it should be free for VM use.

If you don't do this step, that GPU will bind to the NVidia driver instead.

Edited by tjb_altf4
  • Like 1

Hi all,

tjb_altf4 thank you for your post. I went to my System Devices area as you advised and I have the following to report. I was not aware of this before making my last post but It looks like adding my 710 card has made my 1030 card dissappear from my System Devices area. I no longer see it listed in System Devices and when I go to my Ubuntu VM it shows the 710 card has taken the place of the 1030 card.  This is bad news for me because my Ubuntu VM was working great on my 1030 card setup as a passthrough. I hate to think my Ubuntu VM no longer works due to how my 1030 card has disappeared fromt he System Devices List.

The process I followed to add my 710 card is as follows. I added my 710 card by changing the VGA parameter on my Supermicro BIOS to OFFBOARD (ONBOARD is the default). I also disabled the onboard VGA connector by changing the JPG1 Jumper on the motherboard to a disabled position. 

Can this change I made to my motherboard BIOS and Jumper setting for the purpose of accomodating my 710 card have inadvertantly disabled my 1030 card and caused it to dissappear from my System Devices list?  Or is the problem possibly associated to a parameter change I need to make on my UnRaid OS after adding my 710 card which I have yet to make?   Currently I have my  "PCIEe ACS override" parameter set to "MultiFunction".  Is it necessary to change it to DISABLED for the purpose of running two GPUs on a single motherboard? 

As of right now I have not yet installed the Nvidia Driver because I would like to figure out why my 1030 card has dissapeared from my System Devices List.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

System Info:

SuperMicro X10SRH-CF Motherboard

128GB ECC RAM

Intel Xeon E5-2640 v3 CPU

UnRaid OS v6.9.1

Nvidia GT1030 GPU passthrough for my Ubuntu VM

Nvidia 710 GPU for my UnRaid OS in GUI Mode

Noctua Fans

Seagate 18TB Hard Drives

I am adding the screen capture below which shows my VFIO PCI Log. The pink errors are associated to my 1030 card which is showing up missing after I installed my 710 card.  The ERROR reads: "Vendor:Device #### not found at ####. Unable to bind device."  One error is for the GPU and the other error is for the Audio on the GPU.

Does anybody in the community have any advice on how I could fix the error below so my 1030 card can come back as a passthrough binded device? Before adding the 710 card my 1030 card was working correctly and I was able to launch my Ubuntu VM remotely from my Windows10 client PC.  However, I now seek to no longer use my Windows10 client PC and do it all within the UnRaid OS GUI mode environment which is the reason I have added the 710 card.

What is the correct way to install a 710 Nvidia card to the motherboard so the 1030 card installed on the primary PCI 16x slot does not end up dissappearing in the UnRaid OS?   My goal is to dedicate the 710 card to support my UnRaid OS in GUI mode and my dedicate my 1030 card to support my Ubuntu VM as a binded passthrough device.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

image.thumb.png.9fade179368d7ddf73e598f799ddb2e5.png

System Info:

SuperMicro X10SRH-CF Motherboard

128GB ECC RAM

Intel Xeon E5-2640 v3 CPU

UnRaid OS v6.9.2

Nvidia GT1030 GPU passthrough for my Ubuntu VM

Nvidia 710 GPU for my UnRaid OS in GUI Mode

Noctua Fans

Seagate 18TB Hard Drives

Edited by slipstream
9 hours ago, slipstream said:

I am adding the screen capture below which shows my VFIO PCI Log. The pink errors are associated to my 1030 card which is showing up missing after I installed my 710 card.  The ERROR reads: "Vendor:Device #### not found at ####. Unable to bind device."  One error is for the GPU and the other error is for the Audio on the GPU.

Does anybody in the community have any advice on how I could fix the error below so my 1030 card can come back as a passthrough binded device? Before adding the 710 card my 1030 card was working correctly and I was able to launch my Ubuntu VM remotely from my Windows10 client PC.  However, I now seek to no longer use my Windows10 client PC and do it all within the UnRaid OS GUI mode environment which is the reason I have added the 710 card.

What is the correct way to install a 710 Nvidia card to the motherboard so the 1030 card installed on the primary PCI 16x slot does not end up dissappearing in the UnRaid OS?   My goal is to dedicate the 710 card to support my UnRaid OS in GUI mode and my dedicate my 1030 card to support my Ubuntu VM as a binded passthrough device.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

Unless the supermicro bios has the ability to let you choose the boot gpu (not a common option), you might need to swap the 710 to the top (x16) slot which is typically a primary GPU slot, and then move the 1030 to the x8 slot.

If you do this, you will have to update the binds and the vm config for the gpus, as the hardware addresses will change.

Actually disabling the onboard might have changed the hardware addresses in itself, maybe try setting these again (bind + vm config) before doing the above

Edited by tjb_altf4

Thank you for the post Tjb_altf4.  This problem with my 1030 card dissappearing from my UnRaid OS System Devices list after I addied a 710 card seriously kicked my butt.  I spent an entire day fixing this problem.  Not sure which of the three approaches listed below fixed the problem:

1. I reset my Supermicro Motherboard BIOS to factory default settings.
  2. I deleted the SpaceInvader One VBios dump script.
  3. I deleted the data found in the /config/vfio-pci.cfg file located on the Flash drive.

The result is shown in the screen capture below. In short, I can now see both my 1030 card and 710 card listed in my UnRaid OS System Devices like it suppose to be.

image.thumb.png.e26536edeab4769f5e7605190890f913.png

Now I have the ordeal of re-establishing my 1030 card as a passthrough card to support my Ubuntu VM.  I plan to re-apply the SpaceInvader One Vbios dump scipt to make that happen. My confusion is how SpaceInvader One in the middle of his video shows he also applies his script to to his 710 Nvidia card.  

In my case I think I should only apply his script to the 1030 card and not my 710 card. And then after I apply his script to my 1030 card I am going to do what you mention about clicking on the BIND VFIO AT BOOT button after I select my 1030 card.  Nevertheless, my question is if it is necessary to apply SpaceInvader One VBios Dump script to both my 710 and 1030 cards?  Any advice will be much appreciated.  Thank you for your time.