Tracking down why disks are spinning up?

currently running 6.9.2 and observing disks spinning up when there's no reason to.  i've tried tracking it down but no luck.

the syslog pretty much always contains "emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdb" when the disk spins up.  i believe this is a red herring as unraid itself is not the one that actually spins up the disk, but will use smart to read the temperature after something else spins up the disk (please correct if wrong).

i installed the File Activity plugin so there are cases where i observe "read SMART" without a corresponding entry to read/write anything.

what's most confusing is that my parity disk will spin up with no writes logged anywhere.

any other tips & tricks i can try before i brute force turn off all docker containers/plugins to narrow it down one by one?

1 hour ago, bling said:

currently running 6.9.2 and observing disks spinning up when there's no reason to.  i've tried tracking it down but no luck.

the syslog pretty much always contains "emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdb" when the disk spins up.  i believe this is a red herring as unraid itself is not the one that actually spins up the disk, but will use smart to read the temperature after something else spins up the disk (please correct if wrong).

i installed the File Activity plugin so there are cases where i observe "read SMART" without a corresponding entry to read/write anything.

what's most confusing is that my parity disk will spin up with no writes logged anywhere.

any other tips & tricks i can try before i brute force turn off all docker containers/plugins to narrow it down one by one?

Post diagnostics.

8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Post diagnostics.

if there's particular information from diagnostics you're specifically looking for i can provide that.  but since i have verbose logging turned on everywhere i'd have to go through all the files to ensure it's appropriately anonymized.

8 minutes ago, SimonF said:

This thread may be your issue also. Did it happen on 6.9.1?

not sure if it happened in 6.9.1 because i wasn't looking at it.  i only stumbled upon this because it appears 6.9.x changed the default for spin down to "never", and when i noticed all my disks were always green i went ahead to changed it and that's when i observed that disks were up when they weren't supposed to.

had a brief read of your linked thread but i don't think my issue is that.  i don't have problems spinning down disks, that happens as expected.  my problem is they randomly wake up and there's nothing in file activity logs or syslogs to indicate any read/write is happening at the same time.

Edited by bling
  • 4 weeks later...

closing out my own thread.  TLDR, turned out it was one of my docker containers spinning up on a schedule to scan files.  took a while to find it, but i think the effort was worth it.  i got super annoyed so i used the brute force hammer method.  i installed graylog and configured every container to send all logs there.  also added all the system stuff like dmesg, syslog, etc.  sooooo, yea, scratching this itch gave me centralized logging for everything 🙂

• Like 2