DDNS Updater Script

Execute this script every 5 minutes (custom cron */5 * * * *) through the user scripts Plugin. It opens the DDNS URL only if the IPv4 or IPv6 has changed. By default the IPv4 is obtained through a web service like icanhazip.com and the IPv6 through the servers ethernet interface.

Optionally you can obtain the IPv6 from a specific container:

ipv6=$(docker inspect "Nginx-Proxy-Manager-Official" --format='{{range .NetworkSettings.Networks}}{{.GlobalIPv6Address}}{{end}}')

Donate? 🤗

• Like 3
  • mgutt changed the title to DDNS Updater Script
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi. I am relatively new to Unraid. I have a "Vanity" Domain name that I would like to point permently  to my Home based Unraid server so that it can be accessed from the Internet when I am away from home. My ISP (Virgin Media) supplies  "Hub" to access my broadband but it is not possible to setup a "Static" WAN to the hub. It changes with time and on re-boot. I have been looking to find a suitable way to work with Unraid and my cloudflare account to "poll" my WAN address and deal with any changes.  I did purchase a separate router (TP-Link Archer Wi FI) but try as I might while I could setup my wireless and wired home network I was unable to reach the Internet after setting the Virgin Hub to Modem mode. I followed through a number od utube self help videos but with no luck. I know its possible to do what I want with the right software. I am hoping your offering will do the trick but I cannot find any step by step for a beginner in Linux etc.

59 minutes ago, masterchef said:

I have a "Vanity" Domain name

Does your domain hoster / provider offer "DDNS"? Sometimes it is called "DDNS API".  That is a main requirement to update the IP of a specific subdomain like cloud.yourdomain.com to your current internet IP address.

Another requirement is to have a public IPv4 address. Does your internet connection provide it? Check your routers webgui. It must not show a private IP address starting with 192, 10 or 168.

There are of course other solutions available, but this is the first I would suggest to check.