Request Intel GVT-g module

Hi,

Intel IGD has a good feature, that is GVT-g.

Intel GVT-g is a technology that provides mediated device passthrough for Intel GPUs.

It requires kvmgt, vfio-iommu-type1 and vfio-mdev. But unraid kernel disabled.

Please add module for use GVT-g.

Ref. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_GVT-g

I've got a Xeon E-2288G that I have to use 

modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri
to be able to get the quicksync video to encode properly inside plex and transcoding containers. Unfortunately as soon as I launch those two commands, it kills video out of the VGA port (and IPMI Remote video).

Would GVT-g being enabled solve this so that I could keep video out of the VGA port too?

1 hour ago, ionred said:

modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

Try to remove these commands from the go file or wherever you have put them to enable the module and install the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin from the CA App it would basically do the same and also installs intel_gpu_top so that you can use the GPU Statistics plugin from @b3rs3rk to show real time stats from the iGPU.

1 hour ago, ionred said:

Unfortunately as soon as I launch those two commands, it kills video out of the VGA port

This shouldn't happen are you sure that it kills the video output? It should only switch to a higher resolution since it's enabling the iGPU.

Have you installed a dedicated GPU too?

1 hour ago, ionred said:

Would GVT-g being enabled solve this so that I could keep video out of the VGA port too?

As said above this should not be a problem and GVT-g wouldn't solve this, I think there is some other problem when you enable the i915 module.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, ich777 said:

This shouldn't happen are you sure that it kills the video output? It should only switch to a higher resolution since it's enabling the iGPU.

Have you installed a dedicated GPU too?

Yes, it may be something related to this chipset I'm using. It's an ASRockRack E3C246D4U. I'm not using a separate GPU.... just the on board video because it supports Intel QuickSync Video which meets all my needs for transcoding multiple streams at once. 

Hoopster on the forums has had similar issues with the same board/proc combo, wasn't sure if this might help.

10 minutes ago, ich777 said:

As said above this should not be a problem and GVT-g wouldn't solve this, I think there is some other problem when you enable the i915 module.

That's a pity but oh well, thanks for getting back with me on it! :)

11 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I also have the Xeon E-2288G processor on an ASRock E3C246D4U motherboard.  With that board and BIOS, this is what happens.  The VGA port is associated with the ASpeed 2500 BMC.  When modprobe i915 is executed (no matter the method) video output to the VGA port is interrupted and there is no longer any KVM video via IPMI.  It's like either the VGA output is supported or the iGPU output but not both.

I have no separate GPU installed.

9 hours ago, SimonF said:

try running modprobe ast to see if that restores the BMC

That does nothing; still a blank monitor connected to VGA port and no KVM video in IPMI.

This is not a huge deal.  I have video all during the boot process, can access the BIOS and make changes, etc.  It is only at the end of the unRAID boot process when i915 drivers are loaded that all output via the AST2500 disappears.  By that time, I have terminal access via the GUI or PuTTY.

All IPMI functions except KVM video are available.

i915/QSV are used only for hardware transcoding and provide no actual video output.  Even with a monitor attached, I essentially have a headless server. 

Do I wish I could have both AST2500 and i915 functioning at the same time?  Absolutely!  Can I live with the current restrictions?  Yes.

23 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

That does nothing; still a blank monitor connected to VGA port and no KVM video in IPMI.

This is not a huge deal.  I have video all during the boot process, can access the BIOS and make changes, etc.  It is only at the end of the unRAID boot process when i915 drivers are loaded that all output via the AST2500 disappears.  By that time, I have terminal access via the GUI or PuTTY.

All IPMI functions except KVM video are available.

i915/QSV are used only for hardware transcoding and provide no actual video output.  Even with a monitor attached, I essentially have a headless server. 

Do I wish I could have both AST2500 and i915 functioning at the same time?  Absolutely!  Can I live with the current restrictions?  Yes.

You running latest BMC and BIOS?

2.30	4/17/2020	BIOS	Instant Flash	5.99MB	1. Update Microcode
2. Update H/W Monitor		
2.30	4/17/2020	BIOS	DOS	6.03MB	1. Update Microcode
2. Update H/W Monitor		
2.30	4/17/2020	BIOS	Windows®	6.63MB	1. Update Microcode
2. Update H/W Monitor		
01.80.00	4/17/2020	BMC	Megarac SP GUI	25.38MB	1. Add "Sensor Sync" function
2. Add "PSU Temp" sensors
3. Update KVM function
4. Improve WebUI interface
5. Enhance BMC stability

Have you raised issue with Asrock?

4 minutes ago, SimonF said:

You running latest BMC and BIOS?

Yes.  To support the iGPU I, and a bunch of others in these forums, had to get a special BIOS (started with L2.21a and is now up to L2.34 which is what I am running) from ASRock as the regular BIOS does not allow the iGPU to be enabled.

BMC is version 1.80

5 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Have you raised issue with Asrock?

Yes, they are well aware. I don't think they plan to fix it.

Many SuperMicro boards have the same problem.  There is a recent thread in these forums about a way to work around it with certain SuperMicro BIOS versions, but recent BIOS updates seem to have broken it again.

• Thanks 1
  • 10 months later...

GVT-g not enabled in Kernel Module i915

Please make sure that the file '/boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf' exist and contains the line 'blacklist i915' (without quotes).
After ensuring that the file exist and contains the above content reboot your server!

• ich777 locked this topic