[SOLVED] Recent Frequent Crashing (Not related to unRAID version or macvlan?)

Honestly, I have no idea what's going on. But recently, I'm having unRAID crashes. I was on 6.9.1 with some crashes, then updated to 6.9.2. Attached are my diags after such a crash. Happened in 6.9.1 and now 6.9.2 as well. And from what I barely understand, I don't have any dockers with custom IPs so not a macvlan issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong on these assumptions.

Unfortunately I really only find out after the crash when I get a notification that a parity check has started. As a result, I'm not really sure of what's going on.

I'm also not physically near my hardware, it's at my brother's house (has better internet). But can IPMI into the box. 

And of course, I'm not quite knowledgeable about all this stuff, so please let me know if you need more information or anything.

Much appreciated!

hathor-diagnostics-20210427-1015.zip

Edited by Majawat
solved!

I turned off all my Docker containers and my VMs, and it hasn't crashed in a while now. I'm going to slowly turn on one at a time and see what thing is doing it. I have a feeling it's my new-ish W7 VM, which I hope not.

Edited by Majawat
(VM isn't that new, just most recent change)

I turned on two docker containers to help me test another issue: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/107528-docker-containers-become-slowunusable-during-large-data-movement/

Then everything was ok for a while there. Then I turned on a single VM (not the new-ish one, one I've had for a long time). And then pretty quickly got a crash. Specifically, I turned on the vm called Hraf. Though what's the liklihood that I'd choose the one VM with an issue? I'm guessing it's more so that I'm using any VM that's causing the crashing... I'll try other ones and see what happens.

Edit: It crashed with just a file copy job going, nothing else running; no VMs, no Dockers. Though I think a parity check was going. I'm going to restart in Safe Mode and see what happens.

Edited by Majawat

Ok, couldn't sleep, so I stopped the memtest and got the syslog and timestamps.

Pings showing it went down and when:

5:27:14.78 Reply from 192.168.9.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
 5:27:15.81 Reply from 192.168.9.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
 5:27:16.82 Reply from 192.168.9.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
 5:27:17.85 Reply from 192.168.9.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
 5:27:22.80 Request timed out.
 5:27:32.80 Request timed out.
 ... (truncated)
 5:29:43.29 Request timed out.
 5:29:45.32 Request timed out.
 5:29:47.35 Reply from 192.168.9.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
 5:29:49.38 Reply from 192.168.9.10: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
 5:29:51.41 Reply from 192.168.9.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
 5:29:53.44 Reply from 192.168.9.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
 5:29:55.47 Reply from 192.168.9.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Attached is the syslog. At the time of crash, all I was doing was navigating from the Dashboard to the Main tab. No docker or VMs were started, and no parity check.

Apr 28 05:22:33 Hathor rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.2002.0" x-pid="14293" x-info="https://www.rsyslog.com"] start
Apr 28 05:25:37 Hathor ntpd[2090]: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41: Clock Unsynchronized
Apr 28 05:30:23 Hathor root: Delaying execution of fix common problems scan for 10 minutes
Apr 28 05:30:23 Hathor unassigned.devices: Mounting 'Auto Mount' Devices...
Apr 28 05:30:23 Hathor emhttpd: Starting services...
Apr 28 05:30:23 Hathor emhttpd: shcmd (81): /etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

It shows no logs immediately prior to that crash.

Here are my syslog settings

image.png.df468f5aa35d57872da013c9cd79cfba.png

As I was gathering this information, it crashed again despite not using the system. I'm restarting the memtest. but for some reason it only shows 3 slots?

image.png.f45089bff7e63c9f2520243dc41c1ed5.png

syslog-192.168.9.10.log

Nothing being logged about the crash usually points to a hardware problem, one more thing you can try it to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disable, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

• Like 1

The PassMark one is the one I've used to test ECC Memory. Be sure to boot to UEFI on the Memtest boot stick, not the traditional Memtest86 with the blue screen that is Legacy/BIOS boot. It will have both. The UEFI one is the one that did the trick for me testing ECC, i think the legacy one does not.

I figured out what is the cause of the server shutting off: https://imgur.com/a/RGSmkJz. Burnt 24 pin connector. Not sure if it's the power supply or the motherboard's fault. But time for some replacement parts. At least motherboard and power supply it seems.

Wonder if I should replace it with some newer hardware, and if so, which...

pinsburnt.jpg

moboburnt.jpg

• Majawat changed the title to [SOLVED] Recent Frequent Crashing (Not related to unRAID version or macvlan?)
1 minute ago, Majawat said:

Not sure if it's the power supply or the motherboard's fault.

Yes. That kind of damage is typically caused by a loose fit, where the metal on metal doesn't firmly hold, causing only a small spot to touch, causing high resistance and temperature. Technically the power supply end is what is supposed to provide the clamping and spring force, but the board tolerances probably didn't help. The motherboard could possibly be salvaged, by thoroughly cleaning the burnt parts on the metal posts inside the connector, but that would be a serious pain to do, probably with a very small bit on a dremel.