Cannot view Web UI after utilizing delugevpn network from another container, even after following Spaceinvader One's video.

I have followed Spaceinvader One's video describing how to route the network traffic of one container through another on my Unraid 6.9.1 installation. Specifically, I have routed my binhex-jackett container traffic through my binhex-delugevpn network. To do so I first edited the jackett setup

1. Network type from "Bridge" to "None"
  2. Added Extra Parameters: '--net:container:binhex-deluge'

image.png.0352bb4961f7eb3a7bf0d40d1e94ea85.png

Then edited the delugevpn setup

1. Added new port utilizing jacket's (9117, 9117, TCP)

image.png.566f9757a3fbc2ada4982c4bb80fd63a.png

Utilizing Spaceinvader One's trick to view the container's IP with `curl ifconfig.io` I can confirm that both containers share the same IP address. I can also view the logs of each container and both are running normally (based on what I have viewed in the log outputs before).

image.png.f8c7b03c20873b6fabfa96d329f8a4a1.png

I have also performed the same steps to route another container's, netdata, traffic through the delugevpn container to see if it is just an issue with jackett. I can also confirm that it shares the same IP address and the logs "look fine". Though for either container if I navigate to my server's IP address with the specific port for a given routed container, the WebUI still does not load.

image.png.928ad658ee0620fe0d1348be8ad27303.png

Interestingly. While the Web UI for jackett does not load, after it has failed it seems to have resolved to the '/UI/Dashboard'

image.png.9b5444f97db5c0cf5c07cfc167954f6d.png

Though, I have visited the Web UI prior to implementing these changes, so I assume that is just cached in my browser... But, this does not happen when attempting to navigate to netdata's address.

My only other guess is that I need to edit delugevpn's "Connection Manager" to allow for a new/another connection from the containers?.. I have tried a few seemingly logical connection settings to no avail.

image.png.8cc51d7fe545223b72f534de7c818649.png

Edited by kevindckr
  • kevindckr changed the title to Cannot view Web UI after utilizing delugevpn network from another container, even after following Spaceinvader One's video.

I can't provide MUCH help, because this is a little complicated and treads into dark waters with Docker stuff and networking.

I can confirm it's not regarding the internal Deluge container's Connection Manager settings, at least not yet - the webUI should be accessible regardless, Connection Manager just tells the webUI where to find the Deluge host(s), since the webUI can be run separately from Deluge itself in edge cases, and can always manage more than one instance.

I'm not personally familiar with using a container's network to provide a network for another container and accepting incoming connections to it, so unfortunately that's where my help ends.

If I had to suggest an alternate approach, should your attempts to get this working prove futile, I might look into a four-container solution; a Reverse Proxy (handles accessing multiple destinations from one IP using, usually, URL-to-target mapping) as well as a VPN, Deluge, and Jackett.

As a side note, this is technically the support section for unRAID OS specific support, and this question is very much a Docker Engine and/or Docker Container related topic. You might be better served posting over there, where people more deeply familiar with Docker tend to hover.

https://forums.unraid.net/forum/47-docker-containers/

https://forums.unraid.net/forum/58-docker-engine/

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 5:24 AM, tetrapod said:

I have been going the same route and had some problems. Did you configure these ports in the binhex-delugevpn container config?

delugeconf.JPG.adc15dbf5fc8488408e619b89c0eda5a.JPG

I missed this and was struggling until I had read and fully understood Q24-27 in binhex exelent guide:
https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

I did not have these parameters set, only the "extra" Port variables. After setting these it seems to be working better..

Though, what is the difference between adding the ports to VPN_INPUT_PORTS versus VPN_OUTPUT_PORTS. I see that you have 9117 (Jackett WebUI) as an input port but not output, but you also have 8686 (lidarr WebUI) as an output but not input. Why the difference for a WebUI port?

Edited by kevindckr
13 hours ago, kevindckr said:

I did not have these parameters set, only the "extra" Port variables. After setting these it seems to be working better..

Though, what is the difference between adding the ports to VPN_INPUT_PORTS versus VPN_OUTPUT_PORTS. I see that you have 9117 (Jackett WebUI) as an input port but not output, but you also have 8686 (lidarr WebUI) as an output but not input. Why the difference for a WebUI port?

The distinction between VPN_INPUT and OUTPUT wasn't clear to me either, and I'm still not sure I understand this correctly :-$

But, what I empirically understood was that, at first when I only had jackett routed through delugevpn, I only needed to define input ports so that I could reach the jacket GUI. At that point I didn't need any defined output ports.

Then, when I added nzbhydra to the mix, I kinda worked also with only adding the the vpn input port. But, for nzbhydra to work as intended nzbhydra also need access to the arrs (and not only the other way around) and that did not work until I added the arrs' ports to VPN_OUTPUT_PORTS.

That made sens to me, and is how I now understand it. The VPN part of the variable name is actually confusing. It has nothing to do with the vpn function of the container. As I understand it the INPUT ports are where you define access to the containers on the binhex-delugevpn "net". The OUTPUT variable is where you define the ports that containers on the binhex-delugevpn "net" needs access to.

I hope that helped.

Edited by tetrapod