Chia farming, plotting; array and unassigned devices

Shunz

I might get bigger disks at some point, if the $/TB is right.  I'd want to have 2 backup copies anyways so I was clearly focused on $/TB vs. absolute convenience.  Plus, with them being smaller like that, if a disk does die it takes less with it.  That coupled with having duplicates, and them being cold storage, I figure i'm on the better side of being safe.

with regards to running all these forks (7 currently) on the same box...

looking at a couple metrics I'm seeing...

CPU < 20%

memory is 6.8GB/8GB

boot/DB storage HDD is getting crushed at near 100% average.

now that the replacement drives have come in for another project, I'll get the SSDs pulled out of that, and re-task one of them to this and the other NR12000 box.  we'll see what effect that has.  otherwise, i'm starting to think that I'll need to split the forks between these 2 boxes, and cross-link them to gain access to their plots.  both have dual NICs, so i'm considering doing a dedicated/sandboxed network, just for plot sharing. that'll keep management/proof traffic from causing contention.

and i'm seeing over on the HDD coin page, there's a dude who's won WAY more than should be possible... and he's running 16 nodes.

now i'm starting to wonder, if I shouldn't retask all these old machines, not as plotters, but as farmers.

3 hours ago, sota said:

so apparently the newest version of chia plots faster?

if I upgrade to that, will it bork my plots for the other shitcoins?

I don't want to plot "portable" plots right now, and I want to keep farming on all the other coins.

I did a test plot yesterday and it was at least 30% faster 

Also connected a watt meter to my farmer, as expected the drives are pulling around ~200w, fans pull between 5w - 75w depending on the speed lol and everything else seems to use around ~40w.

Tweaked the fan settings some and setup speed fan to keep the fans speed in check and save some power that way. I don't need them going 10k all the time, just during a few hours at the hottest part of the day.

I just never could get behind burning SSD's for chia, didn't compute.

With many parallel drives I was able to use normal hard drives to get 3TB/day of plots.

With madmax I was able to greatly simplify things by using a 110gb ramdrive + HDD and get about 3.6tb/day.

Plotting 100% in ram got me up to ~4tb/day. Showing that the drive speed really is not that much of a bottleneck if you optimize the rest of the system. I could even use an SSD in combo with the ramdrive and it would last 4x as long as plotting to the SSD exclusively.

I would totally buy more ram over SSD's for plotting. It never wears out and is faster too boot. Plus you could resell it or use it for something else down the road vs killing an SSD's and it just being tossed in the garage.

tonight's education:

• NR12000 can only use PC3-xxxxxE memory. U or R is no bueno.
  • I happen to have 4 1GB sticks of the correct memory floating around, so the machine now has 11GB of ram. :D
  • It's happier (namely, more responsive.)  I'd figured out, but running resource monitor, that the pagefile was getting hit pretty good with only 8GB of ram and 7 sh!tcoins going.
  • I'll need to order up 6 sticks of 8GB PC3-12800E memory to boost both boxes to 32GB ram (might as well.)  No idea if that's the max the board will take, but since I can't find any docs for the damn thing I'll go with that.  Maybe when box #2 comes in I'll try searching on whatever numbers I can find on the mainboard itself.
  • Starting all 7 sh!tcoins is a pain in the *bleep*.
  • Hoping to have the SSDs off the server in the next day or 2. Then I'll have the fun of backing up, restoring, and waiting for all of the sh!tcoins to re-sync after being down for what will probably be 30-45 minutes.

PS C:\Plots> .\getStats.ps1
Start Time: 07/11/2021 10:08:17
BLOCKCHAIN: .chia
Eligible for Farming

Count    : 82598
Average  : 1.25960677013971
Sum      : 104041
Maximum  : 9
Minimum  : 0
Property :

Found 0 proofs
0 .chia
------------------
BLOCKCHAIN: .flax
Eligible for Farming
Count    : 56098
Average  : 1.30614282149096
Sum      : 73272
Maximum  : 10
Property :

Found 1 proofs
2 .flax
------------------
BLOCKCHAIN: .spare-blockchain
Eligible for Farming
Count    : 60985
Average  : 1.29961465934246
Sum      : 79257
Maximum  : 8
Property :

Found 3 proofs
48 .spare-blockchain
------------------
BLOCKCHAIN: .chaingreen
Eligible for Farming
Count    : 6373
Average  : 1.44217793817668
Sum      : 9191
Maximum  : 10
Property :

Found 0 proofs
0 .chaingreen
------------------
BLOCKCHAIN: .goji-blockchain
Eligible for Farming
Count    : 76075
Average  : 1.25460400920145
Sum      : 95444
Property :

Found 12 proofs
24 .goji-blockchain
------------------
BLOCKCHAIN: .seno2
Eligible for Farming
Count    : 66070
Average  : 1.28883002875738
Sum      : 85153
Maximum  : 11
Property :

Found 9 proofs
20 .seno2
------------------
BLOCKCHAIN: .hddcoin
Eligible for Farming
Count    : 22356
Average  : 1.41058328860261
Sum      : 31535
Property :

Found 88 proofs
42 .hddcoin
------------------
End Time: 07/11/2021 10:38:18
Elapsed Time: 1801.1945474 seconds

PS C:\Plots>

HDDcoin had some problems early on, as you can see.