VM or docker for dev environment

Hi, 

I've just stsrted using Unraid this week, so please bear with me, if I'm missing the obvious. 

I was planning to configure a Ubuntu VM as a development environment (golang, C, python, ...) and connect (vs-code server) to the VM from my relatively old and slow laptop to speed up the development process. However, I've just noticed Ubuntu is not listed as a supported VM guest OS.

Is it possible to leverage the power of my server to speed up the development process in a docker environment? Or how would you recommend me to deploy a development environment?

12 minutes ago, Jorgensen said:

However, I've just noticed Ubuntu is not listed as a supported VM guest OS

It's there on my system when I click add VM.

"Supported OS" doesn't now particularly mean that any given OS isn't supported.  It's just a template with some default entries filled out.

1 hour ago, Jorgensen said:

Thanks for the quick responses. Since I'm not home right now, I couldn't actually check VM templates but from https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/VM_Guest_Support I assumed that Ubuntu was not supported.

Great to hear that Ubuntu is actually available, thanks a lot. 

That is by no means an exhaustive list.     In principle if KVM supports it then it should work OK under the unRaid KVM implementation.