Slow array after controller swap

Hey, I swapped my two LSI controllers to an Adaptec 71605 controller to free up a pcie slot. 

Updated the firmware on the Adaptec and changed to HBA mode. I've also enabled some write cache setting for all devices on the controller. 

I have 10 out of 13 array drives connected to it and getting 10MBps during a parity check. So it seems it doesn't handle more than ~100MBps throughput at the moment. It is connected to my first pcie slot and at the moment no other pcie devices are connected. 

Unraid 6.9.1. 

Have I missed something? As far as I know it should be able to handle a few GBps atleast.. 

8 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

How about if test by Diskspeed , use it to check does slow on some disks or all or controller issue. Pls also post diagnostics.

So far I've tested 2 drives on the controller, both doing around 7MBps... Cache drive is also connected to the Adaptec. It's also doing 7MBps. Also tested a drive running on the motherboard controller and it was fine at ~150MBps.

Diagnostics are attached

diabetes-diagnostics-20210501-2023.zip

Edited by kakmoster
4 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

No abnormal found in diagnostic.

Suggest revise on that setting.

If problem persist, read through below post and update HBA firmware

https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/raid/sas_raid/sas-71605/

I reset the settings on the controller and only activate HBA and drive listing. Still got 7MBps. Firmware is latest available from Adaptec (released in 2018 something). 

I have the same HBA and it is working without an issue (although recently upgraded to the 24 port version).

Try that above link smartctl command to enable the write cache. There is a script at the bottom I run hourly so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Although even with writecache disabled the perfrmance should at most be minorly effected, not like you are describing.

You could try moving a drive or 2 to the onboard sata ports and speed testing them to see if they run at full speed there.

1 hour ago, TexasUnraid said:

I have the same HBA and it is working without an issue (although recently upgraded to the 24 port version).

Try that above link smartctl command to enable the write cache. There is a script at the bottom I run hourly so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Although even with writecache disabled the perfrmance should at most be minorly effected, not like you are describing.

You could try moving a drive or 2 to the onboard sata ports and speed testing them to see if they run at full speed there.

I've tested the other drives that are connected to the onboard, they work fine of course. I have moved back to my two old controllers for now. I'm gonna build a test machine when I have time to see if I can get the controller working. Maybe it's the cables. 

Bought this product: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193223352016

Same card I have, although I do not have the supercap hooked up (and there is no need with it in HBA mode).

I also have those same cables and actually really like them, they are running half my drives right now.

Strange it is having so many issues. Have you tried resetting the card in the setup options? What firmware are you using? I vaguely recall some issue I had with firmware and using a slightly different version but I might be thinking of my LSI card.

If all else fails I would try flashing an older firmware and see what happens.

Take a pic of the card settings menu if you can as well, I can compare it to mine.

1 hour ago, TexasUnraid said:

Same card I have, although I do not have the supercap hooked up (and there is no need with it in HBA mode).

I also have those same cables and actually really like them, they are running half my drives right now.

Strange it is having so many issues. Have you tried resetting the card in the setup options? What firmware are you using? I vaguely recall some issue I had with firmware and using a slightly different version but I might be thinking of my LSI card.

If all else fails I would try flashing an older firmware and see what happens.

Take a pic of the card settings menu if you can as well, I can compare it to mine.

I haven't plugged in the battery, however the AMF-700 is connected. Could it cause problems?

I hope the cables are good, if bad I'm sure not all of them should be.. 

The firmware file I flashed is called 71605_fw_b32118. The older firmware that was already on the card didn't show the correct serials of the drives so they ended up as missing when I booted the server. 

I should be able to get some photos of the settings during the day or tomorrow. I'm doing my bachelor thesis right now so I don't have much spare time. 

Could you post your settings while I'm at it? 

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

I am guessing your old firmware was not set to HBA mode.

IIRC I pretty much have all the settings set to enabled except the backplane mode and possibly 1 other setting.

I made sure to set it to HBA mode before connecting drives to it. I didn't touch backplane mode. What is your set to? What version are you running?