What PCI Slot Boot Order does the UnRaid OS use?

Hi All,

Below is an illustration of my Supermicro X10SRH-CF motherboard. Can anybody in the community please clarify for me if the UnRaid OS boots from a Left to Right PCI slot order or a Right to Left PCI slot order?  Right now the problem is my 710 card is in PCI SLot position #1  however for some reason I don't know the UnRaid OS chooses PCI SLot position #2 as the default GPU to boot from.  I do not want it to boot from the 1030 Card. I need my UnRaid OS to choose the PCI slot holding my 710 Card to run as  a "Boot To GUI Mode" operation.  And I need the UnRaid OS to choose the 1030 card at PCI SLot position #2 for my Ubuntu VM.

Will moving my 710 card to PCI SLot position #3 make the UnRaid OS choose the 710 card as the first GPU card to boot from?  I hope somebody can clarify this for me because my UnRaid OS is not choosing the correct GPU to boot from.  Any advice welcom.

image.thumb.png.583615ae558fd53d6836bcaa0b83ebc4.png

3 hours ago, slipstream said:

Can anybody in the community please clarify for me if the UnRaid OS boots from a Left to Right PCI slot order or a Right to Left PCI slot order?  Right now the problem is my 710 card is in PCI SLot position #1  however for some reason I don't know the UnRaid OS chooses PCI SLot position #2 as the default GPU to boot from.  I do not want it to boot from the 1030 Card. I need my UnRaid OS to choose the PCI slot holding my 710 Card to run as  a "Boot To GUI Mode" operation.  And I need the UnRaid OS to choose the 1030 card at PCI SLot position #2 for my Ubuntu VM.

I do have some problems to understand what you really want:

1.) Unraid boots from USB stick

2.) PCIe Slot-Order is shown on your diagram Slot #2 to Slot #7. There is no Slot #1.

3.) If you want to use the 1030 GPU in a VM you need to block that device on the page Tools/System Devices. After a reboot, Unraid won't see that 1030 GPU any longer then. This device needs to be added to the VM creation/editing windows then. For further GPU passthrough instructions please check the SpaceInvader One videos.

You also have onboard graphics via the BMC, but you need to specify in the bios onboard and connect primary monitor to vga port.

IPMI(BMC) will also allow access to console via the LAN if setup. You may need to update to latest IPMI firmware.

Thank you to all for your post.  Sorry for the confusion my bad writing caused.  Correct, the UnRaid OS boots from the USB stick. However, my question is really about what order does the UnRaid OS address the PCI slots while it is booting up from the USB stick and loading itself into the RAM.  Does the UnRaid OS first recognise the PCI slot closest to the CPU (#3 in my graphic above)? Or does the UnRaid OS first recognize the PCI slot farthest away from the CPU (#1 in my graphic above)?

SpaceInvader One in his video only mentions "Primary Slot".  So I was left confused what does the UnRaid OS see as the Primary Slot when it is going through its bootup process?  Today after work I'm going to move my 710 card over to slot #3 and my hope is the UnRaid OS will recognize it as the first PCI it needs to mount. 

The problem is really all about how my UnRaid OS is using the wrong card to boot into GUI MODE.  It is using the 1030 card and not the 710 card.  My theory is because the 710 card needs to precede the 1030 card by moving it to the PCI slot right before the 1030 card PCI slot.    Again thanks to all for your post.