[solved] Postgres docker preventing disk spin down

Hi all;

there are multiple topics on this subject, but I did not want to hijack a thread pointing to a different cause. 

After searching for multiple days I've found my postgress container is the one causing my first drive in the array (and parity) to not spin down anymore.

Any idea what I might be able to do to fix this? Do I need to move the docker.img file somehow? or is it postgres specific? 
I really like the idea of consuming energy as much as possible by spinning down disks when I am not actively using my nas. 

Any help much appreciated. 

Edited by Zorb

Your 'system' share (which contains the docker.ing file) is on disk1 which so running any container will tend to keep it (and parity) spun up. 

You can follow the steps outlined here  in the online documentation that can be accessed via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI to get it moved to the cache.

40 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Your 'system' share (which contains the docker.ing file) is on disk1 which so running any container will tend to keep it (and parity) spun up. 

You can follow the steps outlined here  in the online documentation that can be accessed via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI to get it moved to the cache.

Thank you! Worked perfectly.

I feel I should've been able to figure this out myself. So thank you for taking the time to respond to my nooby question! 

1 minute ago, Zorb said:

Thank you! Worked perfectly.

I feel I should've been able to figure this out myself. So thank you for taking the time to respond to my nooby question! 

These things are always much easier when you already know the answer :)

There are continual improvements being made to the online documentation so always worth checking there.   Often the Help built into the GUI helps as well. 

• Like 1
On 5/4/2021 at 4:37 PM, itimpi said:

These things are always much easier when you already know the answer :)

There are continual improvements being made to the online documentation so always worth checking there.   Often the Help built into the GUI helps as well. 

I'll dig deeper next time. 

But thanks for showing me what a friendly and helpful community this is. My trial was almost over and on the fence to buy or not. There are some caveats here and there (zfs support only when at least one normal array, turbo write things, custom plugins for ssd trimming etcetera) but there seems to be a solution for most of these things I came across either in the docs/forums/plugins and the forum users seem to be a helpful bunch of people! 

(long irrelevent story short; I'm buying.. it feels like a decent product with a nice community behind it. )

• Like 1
  • Zorb changed the title to [solved] Postgres docker preventing disk spin down