Drive disable with Errors, new m.2 SATA Controller JMB585

Hey,

does someone tested KALEA-INFORMATIQUE - M.2 (PCIe 3.0 M oder B+M Key) mit 5 Port SATA III 6G Controller Karte. 5X SATA 6G. CHIPSATZ JMB585 with Unraid?

I installed two of this on weekend and ended up getting Errors on one drive.

Parity Re-build runs fine, but if i delete or write files on my 10TB WD Red, unraid detects Errors and disable the drive.

After the first Errors, i saw, that the second m.2 SATA controller wasn't good connected to the m.2 Port, so i fixed this.

On the first m.2 SATA controller are two cache SSD connected. No problem.

On the second are the following drives conntected:

Parity 10TB WD RED

Drive1 4TB WD RED

Drive2 10TB WD RED

I switched the m.2 SATA controller, i switched the m.2 slots, i changed ALL SATA Cabels.

Now i am unsure if Drive2 or the m.2 SATA controller is bad.

Board: ASRock H470M-ITX/AC

Here two Diagnostics, maybe it will help.

unraid-1-diagnostics-20210502-1737.zip unraid-1-diagnostics-20210503-0651.zip

Edited by sonic6

JMB585 usually works fine with Unraid.

1 hour ago, sonic6 said:

I switched the m.2 SATA controller, i switched the m.2 slots, i changed ALL SATA Cabels.

Not clear if you then rebuilt the disk and it happen again, because once a disk is disable it needs to be rebuilt.

11 minutes ago, sonic6 said:

i did a rebuild.

OK, just wanted to make sure since some users expect replacing cables/controller fixes a disable disks.

First diags show a successful rebuild, second ones show a rebuild in progress, there are some ATA errors though, you say it's always the same disk that gets disable, even if you connect it to a different controller?

• Thanks 1

Till now i just tried the two m.2 data controller. 

When the current rebuild is finish tomorrow I will try some writing on the 4TB WD Red. If this also failed. Then I think the m.2 controller ish the source of the problem. If there are no errors, I will try the M1015 HBA.

So, today ich switched back to my old M1015 HBA. After rebuild my 10TB WD Red the Array works fine since 8 hours. I deleted some files and does some writings on the array to Disk1 and Disk2 and i got no Errors again.

Looks like the m.2 Sata Controller won't work with my System.

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Or the JMB controller doesn't like that specific disk model, if it was only that disk you can try connecting it to another controller instead, like the onboard SATA ports.

Disk2 and Parity are the same WD Red 10TB (WDC_WD100EFAX) and the Errors only appears on Disk2. I also got some "199UDMA CRC error count" on Disk1 (WDC_WD40EFRX) over the last week i was using the JMB585.

I am too afraid losing data from my disk, so i don't did more tests with the JMB controller. So i'm sorry :S

Edited by sonic6