Disk disabled...again

Hello, I've had a disk from my array pop up as disabled and is showing 2048 errors on the main page.

Smart Report shows passed (attached with full diag)

I've had this happen before since then I've changed the SATA cable although I realise now not the power cable for the drive so perhaps I'll try that next (assuming this drive is OK to rebuild on?)

Do I need to considering replacing the disk or is it worth another try with a different power cable?

Many thanks in advance!

furnnet-servur-diagnostics-20210504-2056.zip furnnet-servur-smart-20210504-2055.zip

• Like 1

No one here can absolutely, positively say that anyone needs to replace a drive. It depends on what's on the drive and how important it is to you. I'm cautious to the point of paranoid, but I still use one disk that has one SMART error that occurred about 4 years ago.

Make sure you have a backup and, after that, there are a million friends here that might help you restore things to "working"... BUT... no one wants to be responsible for you loosing things that are important to you.

I hope this helps.

7 hours ago, 6of6 said:

It depends on what's on the drive and how important it is to you.

If the drive is in the parity array, it's not just what's on that drive, but what's on any drive in the array. If any drive dies, ALL other drives must read perfectly from end to end to reconstruct the failed drive. If a drive with all your most important data dies, you are relying on a drive with potential errors to rebuild it.

17 hours ago, FattyDave18 said:

(attached with full diag)

For future reference, Diagnostics already includes SMART for all attached disks.

SMART for that disk looks fine, including the fact it has just passed an extended SMART test.

Which controller is that disk using?

7 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

You should check your connections (data & power)

On 5/5/2021 at 2:41 PM, trurl said:

For future reference, Diagnostics already includes SMART for all attached disks.

SMART for that disk looks fine, including the fact it has just passed an extended SMART test.

Which controller is that disk using?

Thank you, noted.

Controller is a LSI SAS 9210-8i.