VMWare tools for unRAID

open-vm-tools-2011.07.19-450511-unRaid50beta10-dan1.tgz Added.  Will post an update to open-vm-tools-2011.07.19-450511 for 4.7 soon.

Thanks for this lastest!

No errors now when I installed. Tried to restart via vSphere Client, it shutdown unRAID but did not restart, any idea?

Would you be willing to share the dev tools you use and their version to get this to compile (or work around)? No pressure, it would be nice though.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this lastest!

No errors now when I installed. Tried to restart via vSphere Client, it shutdown unRAID but did not restart, any idea?

Both the reboot event and shutdown event call the same script:

/etc/vmware-tools/scripts/poweroff-vm-default.d/01-halt

I have not found how to get the reboot event to call a different one, or found a way to detect that the event is reboot instead of shutdown.

Would you be willing to share the dev tools you use and their version to get this to compile (or work around)? No pressure, it would be nice though.

I install the following packages on my development VM in order to do the build (for v. 5.0beta-10):

binutils-2.20.51.0.8-i486-1.txz

cpio-2.9-i486-2.txz

cxxlibs-6.0.13-i486-2.txz

gcc-4.4.4-i486-1.txz

glib2-2.22.5-i486-1.txz

glibc-2.11.1-i486-3.txz

kernel-headers-2.6.33.4_smp-x86-1.txz

make-3.81-i486-1.txz

nano-2.2.4-i486-1.txz

ncurses-5.7-i486-1.txz

patch-2.5.4-i486-1.txz

perl-5.10.1-i486-1.txz

pkg-config-0.23-i486-2.txz

pkgtools-13.1-noarch-1.tgz

libdnet-1.11-i486-5sl.txz

linux-2.6.39.3.tar.gz

open-vm-tools-2011.07.19-450511.tar.gz

I compile the kernel using the files from /usr/src/linux-2.6.39.3-unRAID/ merged with the files from linux-2.6.39.3.tar.gz

Then open-vm-tools can be compiled.

I install the following packages on my development VM in order to do the build (for v. 5.0beta-10):

cpio-2.9-i486-2.txz

gcc-4.4.4-i486-1.txz

glib2-2.22.5-i486-1.txz

glibc-2.11.1-i486-3.txz

make-3.81-i486-1.txz

nano-2.2.4-i486-1.txz

ncurses-5.7-i486-1.txz

patch-2.5.4-i486-1.txz

perl-5.10.1-i486-1.txz

linux-2.6.39.3.tar.gz

I compile the kernel using the files from /usr/src/linux-2.6.39.3-unRAID/ merged with the files from linux-2.6.39.3.tar.gz

I highlighted the ones i had installed, the rest I did not have. Thanks for sharing, I will add them (is perl really needed?). Learning here, why would you need the linux 2.6.39.2 tar? if the that is what Tom already installed? and how does one merge them?

Went looking for the event id of a restart:

In addition to the scripts outlined above, an additional mechanism is provided on Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD guests for executing commands when a virtual machine is either shut down or rebooted. These are specified in the /etc/vmware-tools.conf file using the halt-command = and reboot-command = directives.

But I dont see open vm tools supplying it.

Looking throught the source I found the following line of code in "powerOps.c" dont know if it helps:

state->scriptEnabled[GUESTOS_STATECHANGE_HALT] =

state->scriptEnabled[GUESTOS_STATECHANGE_REBOOT] = enabled;

I found references that it works just fine on our linux versions.

Best I could find http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00615.html

cpio-2.9-i486-2.txz

gcc-4.4.4-i486-1.txz

glib2-2.22.5-i486-1.txz

glibc-2.11.1-i486-3.txz

make-3.81-i486-1.txz

nano-2.2.4-i486-1.txz

ncurses-5.7-i486-1.txz

patch-2.5.4-i486-1.txz

perl-5.10.1-i486-1.txz

linux-2.6.39.3.tar.gz

I highlighted the ones i had installed, the rest I did not have. Thanks for sharing, I will add them (is perl really needed?). Learning here, why would you need the linux 2.6.39.2 tar? if the that is what Tom already installed? and how does one merge them?

Yes; linux-2.6.39.3.tar.gz is needed.  We need to have the kernel sources for open-vm-tools to compile.

Some of those packages are not required - don't think you really need perl.  I just have it because I use the same script to install packages to compile a few things.

You do need to add pkgtools, pkg-config and libdnet for open-vm-tools.  I will experiment when I have some time to see what packages from that list can be removed.

once you get everything in place you can compile open-vm-tools using this configure command:

./configure \

--enable-static \

--disable-multimon \

--disable-unity \

--disable-docs \

--disable-tests \

--without-gtk2 \

--without-gtkmm \

--without-x \

--without-pam \

--without-icu \

--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu \

--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu

• 3 weeks later...

hi, excellent! thank you!

does this support esxi 5.0?

It should work on esxi 5 just fine - pretty sure some posted that they were using it on this forum somewhere.

I have not tested it myself yet as I am currently 8,000miles from my servers.

Hi,

so I gave it a go, installed the package (copied to flash share as described by beta11 instructions), seemed to install ok, could see the new tab in browser. Tried a shutdown, looking at the console there was an error in the open tools programme (didn't take a screen shot). Had to force shutdown, on reboot the machine would hang after checking all the disks, before smb/http was up and running.

Tried again - same again - hang on boot.

Removed all open vm tools package folders/files, rebooted, back up and running again but now a forced partity check running...

Will try again once parity done in about 3/4 hours! will capture screen shots if it does it again.

Hi,

so I gave it a go, installed the package (copied to flash share as described by beta11 instructions), seemed to install ok, could see the new tab in browser. Tried a shutdown, looking at the console there was an error in the open tools programme (didn't take a screen shot). Had to force shutdown, on reboot the machine would hang after checking all the disks, before smb/http was up and running.

Tried again - same again - hang on boot.

Removed all open vm tools package folders/files, rebooted, back up and running again but now a forced partity check running...

Will try again once parity done in about 3/4 hours! will capture screen shots if it does it again.

I can confirm this, it only occurs for me with the .plg package though, manually installing the .tgz works fine.

I can confirm this, it only occurs for me with the .plg package though, manually installing the .tgz works fine.

Double confirm, something causes the "upgradepkg" script to die (i.e <defunct>)

You can telnet into the box and kill the process and the rest of the system comes up.  All the vmtools is installed, so I am not quite sure what the issue is.  Perhaps there are some remnants from a previous vmtools package?

Double confirm, something causes the "upgradepkg" script to die (i.e <defunct>)

You can telnet into the box and kill the process and the rest of the system comes up.  All the vmtools is installed, so I am not quite sure what the issue is.  Perhaps there are some remnants from a previous vmtools package?

I have seen this on one of my test machines as well.  If you run the upgradepkg command manually it works just fine, but when the plugin installer runs it, it hangs up.

I think that it is because the install script in the .tgz file backgrounds the vmtoolsd process.

Unfortunately I have been sent to one of our foreign offices and will not have access to my devel server until the middle of next week.

For now, just drop the .tgz file in /extras on the USB stick and it will load up correctly.  I will remove the .plg file from the first post.