• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for creating this. I just dropped the file in the /boot/extra folder, and it just works (so far).

I create a custom bzroot with some software installed permanently rather than via packages at boot, and would like to include this. I could just install the package into my bzroot before I compress it, but could you elaborate on how this package is created?

Cheers.

Anyone else getting the following messages in syslog about every 30 secs?

Oct 17 11:05:05 TestTowerVM vmsvc[1778]: [ warning] [vmsvc] HostinfoOSData: Error: no distro file found
Oct 17 11:05:05 TestTowerVM vmsvc[1778]: [ warning] [guestinfo] Failed to get OS info.

Any ideas on how to rectify/fix/work around?

Anyone else getting the following messages in syslog about every 30 secs?

Oct 17 11:05:05 TestTowerVM vmsvc[1778]: [ warning] [vmsvc] HostinfoOSData: Error: no distro file found
Oct 17 11:05:05 TestTowerVM vmsvc[1778]: [ warning] [guestinfo] Failed to get OS info.

Any ideas on how to rectify/fix/work around?

I do not get that error on my unraid VM's.  I have check on the ones running under eSXI 4.1 and 5.0

I can confirm that those errors only appear in unRAID 4.7.  I hope to have an updated package ready later today or early tomorrow  that connects the issue.

Thanks..greatly appreciated.

Temporarily stopped the messages going to syslog by upping the logging level to error instead of warning

echo "[logging]" > /etc/vmware-tools/tools.conf
echo "vmsvc.level=error" >> /etc/vmware-tools/tools.conf

Version 2011.09.23.491607 for both 4.7 and 5.0beta12a have been posted.

I have added /etc/slackware-version file to the 4.7 package to prevent the "Failed to get OS info." message that was logged every 30 seconds.  unRaid 5 ships with /etc/slackware-version which is why the error message was not happening there.

The IP address on the server that hosts the files has changed, it may take a little while before some of you can access them.

Hello and thanks for the vmtools portage !

I'm a little bit confused regarding the VMXNet3 adapter.

lsmod shows that vmxnet module is loaded, but I cannot find the VMXNet adapter when typing ifconfig -a.

Is there something that should be done in order to be able to use the VMX adapter (instead of the E1000 that is working fine) ?

The internal 10Gbps speed is very interesting for an ESXi build, which is why I would like VMXNet3 adapter to work.

Any help will be appreciated :)

Note : I'm using 5.0beta12a

Why do i get "Cannot install /boot/open-vm-tools-2011.06.27-437995-unRaid50beta8-dan1:  file not found" I have made sure its in the right spot, root of my usb drive. Using 5.0-beta8d

perhaps you need to try  /boot/open-vm-tools-2011.06.27-437995-unRaid50beta8-dan1.tgz

you can also place the file in the "extra" folder on your flash drives and it will auto install.

A version has been posted for 5.0beat-13.

WARNING:  Due to a code bug in open-vm-tools that causes a null pointer deference when used under kernel 3.1 this version does NOT include hgfs support.  VMWare does a code dump to their GIT repository once a month near the end of every month so we can hope that this issue will be resolved in a few days time.

WARNING:  Due to a code bug in open-vm-tools that causes a null pointer deference when used under kernel 3.1 this version does NOT include hgfs support.  VMWare does a code dump to their GIT repository once a month near the end of every month so we can hope that this issue will be resolved in a few days time.

the plugin failed to load for me it poped an error in the syslog

"Oct 29 22:04:28 Goliath logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/boot/config/plugins/*.plg" in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13 (Minor Issues)"

do you have an old school install also?

the plugin failed to load for me it poped an error in the syslog

"Oct 29 22:04:28 Goliath logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/boot/config/plugins/*.plg" in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13 (Minor Issues)"

the .tgz is here:  http://unraid.zeron.ca/plugins/open-vm-tools/open_vm_tools-2011.09.23.491607_unRaid5.0beta13-i686-5Zeron.tgz

the .plg file is 4 lines and works fine here.  You either have a corrupted file or open-vm-tools is not the cause of your error.

do you have an old school install also?

Hello again,

Sorry to bump about my vmxnet3 issue but I would really like to know if it is worth spending time trying or if that just isn't supported.

Does anybody has been successful adding a vmxnet(3) NIC to unraid ? I see the vmxnet module is loaded but the NIC never appears in ifconfig.

As I'm not a bsd guru, maybe someone could give me a hint on how to do this ?

Many thanks again for your help.