VMWare tools for unRAID

So, was experimenting with these under b12a using the tgz in the extra folder.  Seems to work well to start, vmxnet3 driver appears to work properly and the openvmtools load on startup.  However, its stated that there's a custom script to do a clean shutdown - supposedly so I could have the vmhost initiate the call, correct?  When I tested this by executing a guest shutdown from the vmsphere client, the unraid web client shuts down, I believe the array was stopped, but the guest vm will not actually shut down. 

Am I missing something here that should be evident?  Any help would be great, as this is one piece to getting my vmhost on automated ups shutdown.  Thanks!

If I recally correctly, b12a wouls segfault on shutdown on some systems.  Perhaps that is what is happening to yours.

Thanks for the very fast reply, and for all your work on this.  Is there any solution to this on b12a other than simply upgrading beta (assuming that is a fix)? 

I'm holding off on moving up to b14 b/c I'm using an LSI SAS controller and read that there was issues with that, so until a new release comes out I believe I'm stuck at 12a.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! this installed great from the extra folder, but doesn't get the ethernet working (I have it set to "flexible" in vSphere for ESXi 5U1.  Which on a windows machine loads the vmxnet3.  Do I need to force it down to vmxnet2?  And how do I do that?

Thanks,

[edit]

well, reseting the network /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart, worked.

Do i need to add that to my Go script?

Thanks! this installed great from the extra folder, but doesn't get the ethernet working (I have it set to "flexible" in vSphere for ESXi 5U1.  Which on a windows machine loads the vmxnet3.  Do I need to force it down to vmxnet2?  And how do I do that?

Thanks,

[edit]

It should work if you set the type to VMXNET3 instead of flexible.

Thanks,

[edit]

It should work if you set the type to VMXNET3 instead of flexible.

There is no option for me to do that... its flexible or E1000

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I upgraded from v5.0 u1 to v5.1 today. No problems so far. I upgraded primarily because of the auto vm start-up bug, although I have not yet tested if it works now.

My main concern is the Zeron's tools being compatible with 5.1.  Guessing that's not an issue?

In vSphere Client I can see VMware Tools are running (3rd-party/Independent) so I guess it's OK. :)

• 1 month later...

I have 5.1 installed and open_vm_tools-2012.05.21.724730_unRaid5.0rc8-i686-3Zeron.tgz.

Not sure if this is related but when I attempted to add the network adapter I have only two options: "Flexilble" or "E1000", which is different than what I see for my windows vms (vmtools current) where I see "VMXNET3". Could it be that Zeron's vmtools is not fully compatible with ESXi 5.1 ? In vSphere Client I can see VMware Tools are running (3rd-party/Independent). Maybe that's why I do not see the VMXNET3 option.