VMWare tools for unRAID

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started with a fresh build of unRAID and installed the opentools v12 package via the PLG.  I'm seeing this in the events in ESXi...

Error message from ESXi.WORKGROUP: The VMware Tools power-on script did not run

successfully in this virtual machine. If you have configured a custom power-on script in this

virtual machine, make sure that it contains no errors. You can also submit a support

request to report this issue.

John

Yo,

I still get this error with latest Unraid + VMtools and parity check when starting up!

Error message from ESXi: The VMware Tools

power-on script did not run successfully in this

virtual machine. If you have configured a custom

power-on script in this virtual machine, make

sure that it contains no errors. You can also

submit a support request to report this issue.

error

26/03/2013 9:17:42

UNRAID_VM

User

Anyone?

Yo,

I still get this error with latest Unraid + VMtools and parity check when starting up!

error

26/03/2013 9:17:42

UNRAID_VM

User

Anyone?

Any idea what is going on here Zeron?

Regaridng this error in the ESXi Events...

error

I found a quote from Zeron (here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11449.msg218490#msg218490) where he states:

The shut downs script is found at: /etc/vmware-tools/scripts/poweroff-vm-default.d/01-halt

However, when I telnet into the unRAID VM and browse to that location, it looks like the scripts live in /etc/VMware-tools/:

opentools1_zpse8cfbcea.png

The /etc/VMware-tools/scripts folder is empty other than for a VMware folder:

opentools2_zps1b42db71.png

Maybe just a typo by Zeron???  I don't know.  But maybe also what is causing this error.  Is it possible that others are not seeing that error because the upgraded from an earlier version of the plugin that placed the scripts in the expected folder?

I am going to make a copy of all scripts into the /etc/VMware-tools/scripts folder and see what happens.

John

OK, as stated above I copied (did not delete or move) the scripts from /etc/vmware-tools/ to /etc/vmware-tools/scripts.  I stopped the array and rebooted via the unRAID webgui.  No errors in the ESXi events.

I then initiated a Guest Restart via the Vsphere Client with the array started.  The array was stopped and the VM was cleanly restarted.

I am now going to remove all scripts from the /etc/vmware-tools folder and try the same again.  If successful, that tells me that the TGZ needs to be recompiled to correct the path issue for the scripts.

John

oh lala! this is awesome!

hopefully Zeron sees this post soon.

Well, it looks like it may have just been a typo on Zeron's part.  I deleted the scripts from the /etc/vmware-tools folder and when I tried to Restart Guest, I got a popup error stating that the call failed.  The VM did not restart.

So, ignore everything I said above.  :)

Now, may be it really is a matter of there just being somehting wrong with the Power-On script:

error

I have not seen this error with any of the other scripts (power-off, restart, etc).  I don't know anything about scripts so I wouldn't even be able to find the error in teh script if one does indeed exist.

John

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who is receiving the below error message in the ESXi Events:

power-on script  did not run successfully in this

error

I have rebuilt my unRAID VM and I am no longer receiving these errors.  I made quite a few changes since I stopped receiving the errors:

1.  New motherboard (Supermicro X8DTH-iF)...although all other HW remained the same

2.  I used BateQuasi's pre-built VMDK (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26639.0)

3.  I selected "Ubuntu Linux (32-bit) for the Guest Operating System (as BetaQuasi suggests) for my unRAID VM.  Previously I had selected FreeBSD 32-bit (as suggested in the Atlas thread).

I really think #3 is the key.  Give it a shot....it may help you also!

John

For anyone who is receiving the below error message in the ESXi Events:

power-on script  did not run successfully in this

error

I have rebuilt my unRAID VM and I am no longer receiving these errors.  I made quite a few changes since I stopped receiving the errors:

1.  New motherboard (Supermicro X8DTH-iF)...although all other HW remained the same

2.  I used BateQuasi's pre-built VMDK (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26639.0)

3.  I selected "Ubuntu Linux (32-bit) for the Guest Operating System (as BetaQuasi suggests) for my unRAID VM.  Previously I had selected FreeBSD 32-bit (as suggested in the Atlas thread).

I really think #3 is the key.  Give it a shot....it may help you also!

John

I have unRAID set as Other Linux (32-bit) and also do not receive this error.

Some more info...

I right clicked on my unRAID VM and selected Upgrade Virtual Hardware.  This took the VM from v8 to v9.  After I did this I started to receive the Power-On script error in the Events again.  I rebuilt the VM and did not perform the upgrade and once again I don't see the error.

I was able to perform a Restart Guest and the array was shutdown nicely, the VM rebooted and a parity check WAS NOT needed.

John

Or is it better to delete the VM and start over, now I just edited the settings of my VM,maybe that's why I still get parity checks?

I also have an issue with rights...I can not change the VM tools settings in Unraid nor can I update for instance Unmenu as it states Read-Only!SOLVED!

How can I solve this?

Thanks

OK, I have to ask for help on this as well. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I had unRAID (5.0rc12) running native on the hardware with my production config.

I had successfully run a test-unraid-vm on ESXi with passthrough, etc. etc.

I installed the open_vm_tools plugin on my production box while it was running native.

Booted my production server under ESXi using the same setup as my test-vm.

I see this on the VMTools plugin tab on my server:

VMWare Status
Host Time	20 Apr 2013 19:01:37
Speed	2893 MHz
Time Sync	Enabled
Shared Folders	/mnt/hgfs is not mounted (shared folders may not be enabled on the host)
Session ID	0x51fc486381e6e769
Memory Ballooning	0 MB
Memory Swapping	0 MB
Memory Limit	4294967295 MB
Memory Reservation	2048 MB
CPU Reservation	0 MHz
CPU Limit	4294967295 MHz

open-vm-tools v.2012.10.14-874563 Release 8 compiled for unRAID 5.0-rc12

However, ESXi is telling me on the events tab that the power-on script did not run successfully.

VM type is set to Linux-Other(32b) and I have also tried the Ubuntu 32b with no success.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...