VMWare tools for unRAID

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone tried the latest plugin with RC13 yet?

John

RC13 is using a completely different kernel so Zeron (or someone else) is going to have to build a new VMWare tools plugin.

The version of open-vm-tools I was using does not compile against kernel 3.9.3  unfortunately neither does the current open-vm-tools release.

I do not have a lot of time available to work on this so it will be a few days before I can have a new plugin available for unRaid 5.0rc13

Anyone tried the latest plugin with RC13 yet?

John

RC13 is using a completely different kernel so Zeron (or someone else) is going to have to build a new VMWare tools plugin.

The version of open-vm-tools I was using does not compile against kernel 3.9.3  unfortunately neither does the current open-vm-tools release.

I do not have a lot of time available to work on this so it will be a few days before I can have a new plugin available for unRaid 5.0rc13

Weird, because the package for 12a is showing as running in both the vSphere Client and in the unraid web gui.

If this requires you to compile headers for the kernel, you will need an extra package to make the config. For anyone needing to compile headers for RC13 (or any linux kernel 3.9 and greater), bc-1.06.95 is now required.  Extended details of what I did to compile VirtualBox with this kernel can be found in VirtualBox for unRAID thread. Also updated the wiki page Installing_VirtualBox_in_unRAID with this information.

I am not familiar with the process of creating VMWare tools, but since I saw "compiling" & "kernel" mentioned... & this caused me some problems earlier... wanted to share the fix.

Will any of the older versions work of VMWare Tools for the current RC15 or should I wait for it to be rebuilt for RC15?  Thanks

The kernel modules from previous version will not load into the kernel used in unRaid5.0rc15.

The modules from the current version of open-vm-tools do not build correctly against the kernel used in unRaid5.0rc15 so it may be some time before there is a new version available.

Will any of the older versions work of VMWare Tools for the current RC15 or should I wait for it to be rebuilt for RC15?  Thanks

The kernel modules from previous version will not load into the kernel used in unRaid5.0rc15.

The modules from the current version of open-vm-tools do not build correctly against the kernel used in unRaid5.0rc15 so it may be some time before there is a new version available.

There was a post somewhere about needing some additional files to compile against the newer kernels used on RC13 and RC15 don't know if they would help or not but I will try and find the post I saw.  It is in this thread so I doubt it is useful as you probably already saw it.  Anyway here is the post.

Hi Zeron,

Is the vmhgfs module a showstopper? 

Reason I ask is that I was having a go at compiling this myself.  Looks like I picked a bad time to learn eh. 

I notice there are two issues depending on which snapshot release is used:

open-vm-tools-2012.10.14-874563 gives an error in inode.c during compile of vmhgfs

open-vm-tools-2013.04.16-1098359 does compile, however due to vmci and vsock being merged upstream, it breaks the loading of vmhgfs module.

I found a bunch of posts regarding patches for other distros, but afraid I'm not clever enough to work out how to adapt them to fix this problem.

Regards,

overbyrn

Hi Zeron,

Is the vmhgfs module a showstopper? 

Reason I ask is that I was having a go at compiling this myself.  Looks like I picked a bad time to learn eh. 

I notice there are two issues depending on which snapshot release is used:

open-vm-tools-2012.10.14-874563 gives an error in inode.c during compile of vmhgfs

open-vm-tools-2013.04.16-1098359 does compile, however due to vmci and vsock being merged upstream, it breaks the loading of vmhgfs module.

I found a bunch of posts regarding patches for other distros, but afraid I'm not clever enough to work out how to adapt them to fix this problem.

Regards,

overbyrn

Yes - that and one other module has a unresolved symbol issue when you try to load it.

I hope to get some time attempt the compile late this evening.

• 3 weeks later...

Zeron - Any idea if you'll be able to get the tools compiled for 16b?

I have been working on it for the last few hours.  22nd compile attempt running now.  With a bit of luck; it should be posted in the next few hours.