Mover not Working - Cache not enabled [Solved]

I only use Cache for Dockers / Appdata, and Transcoding for Plex, so normally all my Cache shares are Cache:Only.

I've recently upgraded to 6.9.2 and discovered I was having the excessive write issues on Cache so trying to resolve that using the "Mover Method" described here:  https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/unraid-os-version-690-beta29-available-r1066/

I've changed my Cache settings to Cache:Yes

Selected Disk 4 for the location and removed Disk 4 from the exclusions

When I click "Move" the screen refreshes but nothing happens.

I looked in the log file and see the following:

• May 5 17:32:26 TODD-Svr emhttpd: shcmd (566875): /usr/local/sbin/mover |& logger &
  • May 5 17:32:26 TODD-Svr root: mover: cache not enabled

As I dont have the share settings to allow split directories when this didnt work at first, I created the folders on Disk 4 of the same name to see if that would allow the mover to work, but no luck there.  Those folders were not there for the first attempts.

I have attached my diagnostics file, and a screenshot of my cache drive settings.

Any advice on how to resolve the mover issue is appreciated.  Thanks All in advance.

Alternatively, If i use the binhex-krusader docker to copy the full contents of the cache drive, would that work?  Are there some hidden files/folders that don't get picked up in a copy that the mover gets?

Cache Share Setting.JPG

todd-svr-diagnostics-20210505-1736.zip

Edited by TODDLT

There's a line missing from a config file, and for the life of me I can't find where to set it in the GUI, so as a workaround

On the flash drive edit the file /config/share.cfg (notepad will work fine to do this)

Add this line to it at the bottom

shareCacheEnabled="yes"

Save and reboot.

23 minutes ago, Squid said:

There's a line missing from a config file, and for the life of me I can't find where to set it in the GUI, so as a workaround

On the flash drive edit the file /config/share.cfg (notepad will work fine to do this)

shareCacheEnabled="yes"

Save and reboot.

@JorgeB Am I blind? where is this setting?

Thanks!

When go back to not using the "mover" again, do I get rid of this or just leave it in place?

1 minute ago, Squid said:

Just leave it in place.  It's a global setting for if the cache pools are basically enabled or not, but the individual share's cache settings take precedence (ie: just set the share to not use the cache if you don't want it going forward)

Thanks, just rebooted and will confirm everything worked.  

I'm now thinking the line is a deprecated setting removed from the GUI, but if you make any change to Global Share Settings it will automatically add it in.

Has this server been used for quite a while through old versions of the OS and you've just recently added in or started using a cache drive as a cache drive?

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

I'm now thinking the line is a deprecated setting removed from the GUI, but if you make any change to Global Share Settings it will automatically add it in.

Has this server been used for quite a while through old versions of the OS and you've just recently added in or started using a cache drive as a cache drive?

This server has been used and upgraded since .. I think... version 4... which ever was back when 2TB was the largest allowed by the system. 

I think that qualifies as a definitive yes, its been around a while.  Obviously the hardware is kept up with.  Generally, the system is rock solid and trouble free. (save the occasional upgrade related troubleshooting like this)

The cache drive came into the picture when I started running Plex (my first use of dockers) and that had to be 5 or 6 years ago, and then added the cache pool.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

shareCacheEnabled="yes"

Save and reboot.

@JorgeB Am I blind? where is this setting?

From 6.9 onwards the global setting was deprecated due to multi-pool functionality, and is now set via each shares settings.

For each share, you can now choose the type of pool use (including none), and the pool you want to use.

Yeah, except the line HAS to be in share.cfg for mover to work.  Hence my "any change in Global Share Settings" should also fix it up.

It's probably because of v4 was the starting point for this flash device, and the setting never got enabled over the years.

• Like 1
Just now, tjb_altf4 said:

From 6.9 onwards the global setting was deprecated due to multi-pool functionality, and is now set via each shares settings.

For each share, you can now choose the type of pool use (including none), and the pool you want to use.

Well when I changed from Cache None to Cache Yes, it still didn't enable the use of cache so the mover didnt work.

Adding the command line by hand did.

Not sure if having my cache sent to No during the upgrade and then trying to swap to Yes, meant it wouldn't create the command line.

• TODDLT changed the title to Mover not Working - Cache not enabled [Solved]