All transfers via FTP/SMB/HTTP/iperf from Unraid to any client capped at 10MB/s. Internet to Unraid (Usenet/P2P) is full gigabit speeds.

Hey,

I've been testing this extensively. I've transferred files from my laptop (wifi) and desktop (2.5G) to my unraid server on the same internal network, on the same switch, on different switches, on the same vLAN, on different vlans, any networking change I could do I made. I always get a max of 10MB/s. The eth0/eth1 adaptors on unraid are full gigabit duplex connections. On any P2P/wget/usenet connection on the unraid server gets the full gigabit connection speeds on both up and downloads. I have a network speed tracking service setup and both upload/download on the server has never dropped below 600Mbps.

I've transferred files from laptop/desktop -> unraid and unraid -> laptop/desktop and I always get 10MB/s. Doesn't matter protocol: sFTP transfers, SMB transfers (both Windows and OSX), HTTPs via docker containers (even simple a nginx docker container hosting a test 1GB file), and even iperf3 bidirectional is 10MB/s. 

This really sucks when I'm trying to transfer large pictures/videos from my desktop to my server for backing up purposes.

Some server info, It's an older server: 

Supermicro X8DT6

2x Intel X5690

48GB DDR3 ECC memory

1TB cache drive (in RAID1, 2x1TB SSDs)

~50TB storage, 15TB free

Ran the diskspeed script and all drives are getting 150MB/s or higher.

I've posted before here, and no replies for any solution or even why this is happening. Any further info or if I can provide some additional info to troubleshoot, please let me know!

Edited by Blaze9

Okay - since you mentoined it - I scanned your post history. You did post to the forum before, and you definitely got replies and solutions. When you posted for THIS ISSUE, you gave no hardware information, no networking information, no drive information, actually kind of no worthwhile diagnostic information at all. Regretfully, nobody came around to make you give them more information so they could start to try to help you.

I can't speak for before, but network performance related issues can be very tricky. Complaining about before isn't really a great motivator, because we're volunteers who aren't always around, some of us are new (like me, who joined a whole week and a day ago, or something like that) and honestly people often don't post unless they're confident they have a solution. They also don't always put out the effort to post when people don't put out the effort to give good information. Pointing a lack of reply out is actively unhelpful and implies the readers or potential posters have done something wrong. I understand that you're emotionally frustrated and that's resonable, but we're here to help with Unraid and that's really it. In this particular case, there isn't enough to have a firm answer, period.

Back to your problem -

My immediate impulse, which may or may not be worth anything in this case, is regarding Jumbo Frames. Many users enable Jumbo Frames on various equipment, but don't understand the caveats and issues it can cause -- this may be something to check. It's often overlooked, which is the sole reason I come to it first. Generally, any minimal performance gains achieved with Jumbo Frames aren't worth the potential for issues.

Other common "unusual" network traffic related issues could be the range of NIC Offload settings available on various cards. Improper core isolation settings technically could cause throughput issues.

Neither of those bits of information are new or revelatory, though -- both of those items are widely accepted "common knowledge" for those in-the-know in the networking world, which surely you would've found if you searched exhaustively for help and are still looking, which may also be in part why nobody spoke up.

Regarding limited throughput, it's honestly a fairly large list of potential causes and fixes, and we don't really have enough information.

Speaking of which another suggestion might be to post a diagnostics.zip file -- Tools, Diagnostics, Download -- so we can see more information about your hardware, its configuration, what tunables may be adjusted (or not!) and so forth. We don't even know what verison of Unraid you're using.

5 hours ago, codefaux said:

Okay - since you mentoined it - I scanned your post history. You did post to the forum before, and you definitely got replies and solutions. When you posted for THIS ISSUE, you gave no hardware information, no networking information, no drive information, actually kind of no worthwhile diagnostic information at all. Regretfully, nobody came around to make you give them more information so they could start to try to help you.

I can't speak for before, but network performance related issues can be very tricky. Complaining about before isn't really a great motivator, because we're volunteers who aren't always around, some of us are new (like me, who joined a whole week and a day ago, or something like that) and honestly people often don't post unless they're confident they have a solution. They also don't always put out the effort to post when people don't put out the effort to give good information. Pointing a lack of reply out is actively unhelpful and implies the readers or potential posters have done something wrong. I understand that you're emotionally frustrated and that's resonable, but we're here to help with Unraid and that's really it. In this particular case, there isn't enough to have a firm answer, period.

Back to your problem -

My immediate impulse, which may or may not be worth anything in this case, is regarding Jumbo Frames. Many users enable Jumbo Frames on various equipment, but don't understand the caveats and issues it can cause -- this may be something to check. It's often overlooked, which is the sole reason I come to it first. Generally, any minimal performance gains achieved with Jumbo Frames aren't worth the potential for issues.

Other common "unusual" network traffic related issues could be the range of NIC Offload settings available on various cards. Improper core isolation settings technically could cause throughput issues.

Neither of those bits of information are new or revelatory, though -- both of those items are widely accepted "common knowledge" for those in-the-know in the networking world, which surely you would've found if you searched exhaustively for help and are still looking, which may also be in part why nobody spoke up.

Regarding limited throughput, it's honestly a fairly large list of potential causes and fixes, and we don't really have enough information.

Speaking of which another suggestion might be to post a diagnostics.zip file -- Tools, Diagnostics, Download -- so we can see more information about your hardware, its configuration, what tunables may be adjusted (or not!) and so forth. We don't even know what verison of Unraid you're using.

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to sound like I was annoyed that there were no replies previously, I just meant to say that ya I posted before but I didn't get anything so let me try again. 😃

I will need to checkout jumbo frames and see if they are enabled/disabled and go from there! Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't check that out yet. 

I'll post the diagnostics as soon as possible, not accessible right now. Unraid version is the latest 6.8.x, have not updated to 6.9.2 yet. But honestly this issue has been there since 5.x, I just dealt with it lol. But now I'm ingesting alot of pictures since I'm getting I to photography and it takes way too long to dump my cards. 

Edit:

Just checked jumbo frames in my ubiquity hardware. MTU is at default of 1500, so AFAIK it is disabled. 

Edited by Blaze9
6 hours ago, Blaze9 said:

iperf3 bidirectional is 10MB/s. 

Try temporarily connecting peer to peer static IP on both ends single cable from Unraid to a client machine.

NO switches, no reusing current cables, just Unraid and one client machine with a single ethernet cable connecting them. Make sure you set proper static IP's in both Unraid and the client machine before disconnecting them from your main network.

6 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Try temporarily connecting peer to peer static IP on both ends single cable from Unraid to a client machine.

NO switches, no reusing current cables, just Unraid and one client machine with a single ethernet cable connecting them. Make sure you set proper static IP's in both Unraid and the client machine before disconnecting them from your main network.

I agree, I need to try this. I don't have physical access to the machine for a while (1+ week) while I'm away but I think that's the logical last step in seeing if it's anything on my network side (I doubt, but who knows) or if it's the machine itself.

Years ago I used a tool for LAN speed testing from a source called TotuSoft.  I googled and they are still providing it. 

DISCLOSURE:  I used this several years ago after having vetted the software via more google searching.  I did not do that this time.  So use either at your own risk or vet the download/software yourself to verify that it is safe.

PS:  My speed problem was actually a 'bad' Realtek Windows driver...

Edited by Frank1940

The Gurus are going to want to see your diagnostic file to verify that your hardware is properly configured.  You mention that 10MB/s was your fastest speed.  I am assume assuming that this is Megabytes(MB) and not megabits(Mb) .  (Networks speeds are usually measured in Mb/s but Windows reports copy speeds in MB/s.)

Edited by Frank1940