Suggestions to keep Beta releases from messing up production servers

lionelhutz

My point is that it is very unlikely that a NewBox announcement is going to get us a new beta tester. In reality announcements serve to get us more users "testing" betas with real data they wouldn't like to lose... which are not beta testers.

And yes you were misquoted my brain inserted the work "stop" where you hadn't written it. Thought it was unusual that we agreed on something :P

The other alternative is to do nothing... which might be the best option. You are not going to teach people that want "shiny" new beta versions to all of a sudden realize what that actually means risk wise. We can make the risks clear and move along. THis is an age old problem that really cant be fixed, all we can do is our best and not try to solve the impossible. SO re-word "This is beta software, please read the Release notes before installing." TO "This is beta software FOR TESTING ONLY. NOT FOR PRODUCTION.  please read the Release notes before installing."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be no risk if you keep a cool and collected head about yourself when you do the upgrade.

In the past some users have not kept cool so they panicked and hit a button which wiped out a data drive or two. Even after that, if they had kept cool and posted about it in the forums and we could have directed them on how to recover a vast majority if not all of their files. Some user had not kept cool at that point and then did other actions which caused them to completely loose their data.

Just the other week I tried out 5.0b5b and it looked like my data drives were wiped out, but I remained cool; I did a simple single step for each drive that fixed everything in the matter of seconds. No data was lost at all.