[Support] Partition Pixel - Chia

I've got my Docker up and running, but I don't have a large enough SSD in my Unraid Setup to use it for plotting. If I'm using another Windows PC for plotting and store the finished plots in my NAS, do I have to keep the Windows Machine running to be able to harvest the plots? Or is the Docker doing that automatically?

31 minutes ago, Tarrlagg said:

I've got my Docker up and running, but I don't have a large enough SSD in my Unraid Setup to use it for plotting. If I'm using another Windows PC for plotting and store the finished plots in my NAS, do I have to keep the Windows Machine running to be able to harvest the plots? Or is the Docker doing that automatically?

I've got this running on my win pc pumping out plots https://pythonawesome.com/a-cross-platform-plot-manager-for-chia-plotting/ don't even have chia running on win 10 it's just installed...and I have the docker running on unraid as a full node plotting and farming so...not U dont have to keep the windows one open if unraid one is going so long as they are both using the same key

I followed this for setup 

Edited by burgess22
  • Thanks 1

Out of the box this docker isn't configured optimally for logging, after some research these are two changes I've made to get better logging.

Both changes are made to the config.yaml file that will be in chia's appdata folder:

1. change log_level to INFO (from WARNING) 
  2. change log_stdout to true (from false)

Change one adds more useful info to the logs, change two pushes the logs to the standard docker logging mechanism, which means it is visible from the GUI's log button.

Happy hunting!

• Thanks 4

Hey all, before I answer questions I just wanted to say this, for me the update is now visible in unraid :

image.png.d39c459e73c6729b3b9972cea161b591.png

However I think I made a mistake and I had to change something first (I'm not 100% sure, if someone could confirm for me that'd be great), it is fixed in the template now but for those of you who already had it installed you may the need to change something first (sorry this is my first unraid docker template).

That something is this :

image.png.6200c8e07eb8df2b7ffc308032fc4e76.png

to this:

image.png.8b8730ca299cf7d0a6bfdd8d8ffad32d.png(So juste remove the ':latest')

If someone that still has the ':latest' could confirm that the update is not visible (or that it is) with me that would be great !

This is the reported version once updated (before that it was 1.1.5.dev0) :

image.png.0497182b1e121a4b64d7e466cb51bc1d.png

image.png

Edited by Partition Pixel
7 minutes ago, tjb_altf4 said:

@Partition Pixel it should be:

ghcr.io/chia-network/chia:latest

I updated yesterday, and I'm currently on 1.1.6.dev0 according chia version

You should only need to press the check for updates button on docker page, if you want to force a check

Thank you ! Safely ignore my comment then 😆 everything is good, and I also didnt even know about the check for updates button as I never had to update in a hurry lol I feel dumb ! 😩

Edit: I'm reading that not writing :latest just implies :latest by default so I guess I prefer it this way it's shorter

• Like 1
20 hours ago, danktankk said:

How do we map log files to say.... /appdata/logs for this container?

the template doesnt appear to have any way to see or route them

I'm adding this to the template right now,

If you want to add it manually, do the following (create a new path and type this):

image.png.740d0d13cbcbb6f5a5c5aa7198c7ef17.png

I didnt test it but I don't see why it wouldnt work, feel free to report back ! (testing on my side now)

Edit: managed to make it work, but I also had to change something in the config.yml :

image.png.895ad296e483f4f57f45bc912c053574.png

You will need to add the first '/' before the 'log/debug.log'

Don't know if there's another way without modifying the config.yml but I this is how I managed to make it work (got limited time can't check any further)

35 minutes ago, Partition Pixel said:

Thank you ! Safely ignore my comment then 😆 everything is good, and I also didnt even know about the check for updates button as I never had to update in a hurry lol I feel dumb ! 😩

Edit: I'm reading that not writing :latest just implies :latest by default so I guess I prefer it this way it's shorter

Yeah if you leave it off will get latest and then you can put other versions like :1.1.14 in if you don't want docker to update like my mariadb they are changing to alpine or something soon so I'll leave it locked on the version running ATM until I can work out how to update without breaking stuff 😂

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, Partition Pixel said:

I'm adding this to the template right now,

If you want to add it manually, do the following (create a new path and type this):

image.png.740d0d13cbcbb6f5a5c5aa7198c7ef17.png

I didnt test it but I don't see why it wouldnt work, feel free to report back ! (testing on my side now)

Edit: managed to make it work, but I also had to change something in the config.yml :

image.png.895ad296e483f4f57f45bc912c053574.png

You will need to add the first '/' before the 'log/debug.log'

Don't know if there's another way without modifying the config.yml but I this is how I managed to make it work (got limited time can't check any further)

Thank you for the reply.  I have tried everything you have there already.  At this point,  I don't mind it going to the default location.  I just need the log files to give some output and then I can worry with where they go.   I also added the leading `/` in the yaml file as well.

Here is my path setup for it:

log-path.png.9cf4d46992719aedf00858a94cfa1889.png

I have also tried `log_stdout` both true & false

Any other ideas?  Many thanks!

Edited by danktankk
1 minute ago, danktankk said:

Thank you for the reply.  I have tried everything you have there already.  At this point I don't mind it going to the default location.  I just need the log files.   I also added the leading `/` in the yaml file as well.

Here is my path setup for it:

https://xbackbone.dankk.io/lesu8/geWIcAMa55.png

I have also tried `log_stdout` both true & false

Any other ideas?  Many thianks!

Can't see your url (it says access denied) 😢 log_stdout must be false otherwise it won't work (it will write to the console instead of the file), other than that you need to restart your docker after making the changes in the config.yml. It is very important that the container path value be '/log' with no S (unless you put one in the config.yml). Other than that it should work ! Don't hesitate if you still have problems

3 minutes ago, Partition Pixel said:

Can't see your url (it says access denied) 😢 log_stdout must be false otherwise it won't work (it will write to the console instead of the file), other than that you need to restart your docker after making the changes in the config.yml. It is very important that the container path value be '/log' with no S (unless you put one in the config.yml). Other than that it should work ! Don't hesitate if you still have problems

I changed the URL to an Image.  Try to refresh the page?

`  logging: &id001
    log_filename: /log/debug.log
    log_level: INFO
    log_maxfilesrotation: 7
    log_stdout: false`

Edited by danktankk

In an attempt to speed up syncing, I copied the contents of mainnet and wallet db folders to my docker from a synced windows install.  For some reason it's not syncing.  I have port 8444 forwarded to my unraid server ip and can see one full node connected when I issue: 

docker exec -it chia venv/bin/chia show -s -c

but after changing log level I am noticing this quite frequently:

2021-05-11T00:38:14.486 full_node full_node_server : [32mINFO [0m Cannot connect to host 95.82.254.21:8444 ssl:True [SSLCertVerificationError: (1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate is not yet valid (_ssl.c:1123)')][0m

Any ideas?

UPDATE-  Never mind this question, forcing an update fixed my issue....

Edited by NVrEnough
ignorance
20 hours ago, ozzylins said:

That´s the problem,... I don´t know what I am doing.. lol    

Is there a real newbie tutorial to farm with docker on unraid?  I volunteer to be the "lab rat" of such topic...  = ) 

Found this https://pythonawesome.com/a-cross-platform-plot-manager-for-chia-plotting/,  perhaps "we" could create a docker for it... 

It's the same as farming with the command line on any OS, I suggest you take a look at things like these if you want to grasp the basics (it can help that he is using the interface, then afterwards you can search for the actions he is doing on the interface but with the command line) :

18 hours ago, equipped said:

When the docker updates on github will it update automatically if we re-install the docker?

Yes it should have an update pending for you if didnt already by now, if not force update the docker

16 hours ago, gandalf15 said:

I tried to run it, since I have a Windows Chia client in the same network I tried to change the port to 8445. But somehow it always adds it anyway as 8444. And therefor it doesnt work.

Anyone knows how to fix it?

How did you try to change the ports ? Through the unraid docker template and/or though the config.yml ? image.png.1d825c2b63dc21b785c72b35e59640fd.png

12 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Any idea how to trigger the Chia Docker to sync the blockchain? I did sync for more than 1 day and is now at a different netspace as my Windows PC. Also the Docker gives the status not synced as the blockchain status.

You still got problems ? I think it might have been the hotfix of yesterday, try to update your docker and see if that changes anything...

5 minutes ago, danktankk said:

I changed the URL to an Image.  Try to refresh the page?

`  logging: &id001
    log_filename: /log/debug.log
    log_level: INFO
    log_maxfilesrotation: 7
    log_stdout: false`

The config yml seems good, now for the path on the docker template if you want the path you gave me earlier your 'Host Path' should be '/mnt/user/appdata/logs/' or '/mnt/user/appdata/chia/mainnet/log/' for the default one

13 minutes ago, Partition Pixel said:

The config yml seems good, now for the path on the docker template if you want the path you gave me earlier your 'Host Path' should be '/mnt/user/appdata/logs/' or '/mnt/user/appdata/chia/mainnet/log/' for the default one

I have appdata Container Path: set as /config  and Host Path: set as /mnt/user/appdata/chia 

However, I did try it adding the path your way and I still am not getting a debug.log file in the default location of /mnt/user/appdata/mainnet/log/debug.log

I am only using this to make plots so maybe that is why?

Edited by danktankk
4 minutes ago, danktankk said:

I have appdata Container Path: set as /config  and Host Path: set as /mnt/user/appdata/chia 

However, I did try it adding the path your way and I still am not getting a debug.log file in the default location of /mnt/user/appdata/mainnet/log/debug.log

I am only using this to make plots so maybe that is why?

Oh I see, then yes I think this is possible, didnt test with only harvester but that might be the case ! Do you have any debug.log file at all in your mainnet/log/ ? If not then I guess that's the case

6 minutes ago, Partition Pixel said:

Oh I see, then yes I think this is possible, didnt test with only harvester but that might be the case ! Do you have any debug.log file at all in your mainnet/log/ ? If not then I guess that's the case

I cant get a logfile to show up no matter what.  In windows it logs without anything but a plotter running

In the console when this container starts I see the following: 

Chia directory /root/.chia/mainnet
Can't find private CA, creating a new one in /root/.chia/mainnet to generate TLS certificates
No keys are present in the keychain. Generate them with 'chia keys generate'

None of my appdata works in this way and I use /config to map my appdata paths.  Could this be an issue?  Further down in that log it does go to the proper directory and reads my mnemonic and start the chia_harvester.

Im just astonished at this not giving me log files lol

Edited by danktankk
10 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Out of the box this docker isn't configured optimally for logging, after some research these are two changes I've made to get better logging.

Both changes are made to the config.yaml file that will be in chia's appdata folder:

1. change log_level to INFO (from WARNING) 
  2. change log_stdout to true (from false)

Change one adds more useful info to the logs, change two pushes the logs to the standard docker logging mechanism, which means it is visible from the GUI's log button.

Happy hunting!

Awesome find ! I'm putting this on the topic post.

3 hours ago, luixmod said:

Connection error. Check if farmer is running at 8559

i am getting this error and dont farme, i need to open this door on the router? he makes the sync and de plot fine.

I'm not seeing anything about opening port 8559 online (only port 8444). Maybe you already have something running on port 8559 ?

1 hour ago, burgess22 said:

Yeah if you leave it off will get latest and then you can put other versions like :1.1.14 in if you don't want docker to update like my mariadb they are changing to alpine or something soon so I'll leave it locked on the version running ATM until I can work out how to update without breaking stuff 😂

Yeaah I knew about other versions, I just wasnt sure how unraid knew if there was another version available, but :latest it is of course. Oooh very good to know I'll probably do that I'm using that docker for a few things lol

20 minutes ago, danktankk said:

I cant get a logfile to show up no matter what.  In windows it logs without anything but a plotter running

Just did a re read of what you said and if your appdata container path is in /config, it's possible there is some confusion with the /config folder inside of the chia appdata. Check if there's any log file in chia/config. Other than that the only difference I have with you is the appdata location (mine is /mnt/user/appdata/chia ) 🤔

3 minutes ago, Partition Pixel said:

Just did a re read of what you said and if your appdata container path is in /config, it's possible there is some confusion with the /config folder inside of the chia appdata. Check if there's any log file in chia/config. Other than that the only difference I have with you is the appdata location (mine is /mnt/user/appdata/chia ) 🤔

I dont see it anywhere.  i added more to my initial statement as well with an edit

7 minutes ago, Partition Pixel said:

Try this in your Host Path for logs

/config/mainnet/log

instead of

config/mainnet/log

(missing first /).

If that still doesnt work I would try going back to the /root/.chia for your appdata

log-path.png.3c555079b45608df3086364166ec782f.png

my config does havce the leading `/` in it.  Im not sure where you saw that it didnt?

Im not sure how to use /root/.chia for appdata or where it would be moved to.  I am not that great with unraid.