[Support] Partition Pixel - Chia

On 5/13/2021 at 8:25 PM, bnevets27 said:

Dumb question? So I ran the command to start 3 plotting tasks, one in each window of tmux. Great, all worked, got 3 plots. I expected it to start a new plot after finishing, it apparently does not. So I would have to run the command again. Obviously it doesn't make sense to manually start a plotting task, so how does one make sure a new plot starts after the last one finishes?

I've been using tmux and sleep successfully for this. What I do:

Open a terminal and start a tmux

Make that tmux terminal split screen with Ctrl and b then % (this saves screen real estate!)

You can swap between the split screens with Ctrl and b then <arrow key>

I do this a few times to make ~ 8 screens (4 windows split)

Then manually start the plotting in each pane with:

(first one)

docker exec -it chia venv/bin/chia plots create -b 3200 -r 4 -n 1 -t /plotting -d /plots

(second one)
sleep 70m && docker exec -it chia venv/bin/chia plots create -b 3200 -r 4 -n 1 -t /plotting -d /plots
sleep 140m && docker exec -it chia venv/bin/chia plots create -b 3200 -r 4 -n 1 -t /plotting -d /plots
sleep 210m && docker exec -it chia venv/bin/chia plots create -b 3200 -r 4 -n 1 -t /plotting -d /plots

etc.

etc.

I'm still experimenting with my parallel stagger. Your source, destination and time delay will vary.

tip: you can scroll up in a split pane with Ctrl and b then [

Of course it would be easier to use a plot manager which i'll set up soon.

Edited by adminmat
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Trinity said:

Thank you, for the answer :)
Right now everything is out of sync, I don't understand, what is happening there, all I do is plotting and here and there call chia farm summary, chia show -s -c and chia wallet show. Suddenly everything stopped syncing and there are so many entries inside the debug.log - I'll wait for the plots to finish, then I will restart the container and clear the log, to get only new entries to narrow it a little more down and when it fails again, I'll provide my log here.
Could there by anything inside it, which could leak anything sensitive of my system?

did you say you were farming in Ubuntu? Have you tried to disable the firewall (UFW) or open a port 8444? I think I read about that in another thread.

Thanks to Partition Pixel for the effort to get this working and to the rest of the community for their in put.

I am note sure if I missed this somewhere, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

I am currently plotting to an unassigned device and it seems to be working fine.

I want to start a 2nd (parallel) plot, but with a different temp directory (on a different unassigned device), but the same final temp directory.

How would I go about doing this?

I assume that I would have to create another path, pointing to the 2nd temp directory?

Then, how do I start the docker to plot to the new temp directory?

At present, I am opening the docker console and then starting the plot from there.

Is there a better way of doing this?

17 minutes ago, Darryn said:

Thanks to Partition Pixel for the effort to get this working and to the rest of the community for their in put.

I am note sure if I missed this somewhere, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

I am currently plotting to an unassigned device and it seems to be working fine.

I want to start a 2nd (parallel) plot, but with a different temp directory (on a different unassigned device), but the same final temp directory.

How would I go about doing this?

I assume that I would have to create another path, pointing to the 2nd temp directory?

Then, how do I start the docker to plot to the new temp directory?

At present, I am opening the docker console and then starting the plot from there.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Thank you ! And indeed thanks for everyone that is contributing and helping.

You caught me before going to bed 😉

You are correct, you will need to add another path for the second temp directory. Let's say you called it plotting2 and that this plotting2 folder is pointing to your 2nd unassigned device. You can then start some plots with this as your plotting temp folder

venv/bin/chia plots create -b 5000 -r 2 -n 1 -t /plotting2 -d /plots

And some others with your first unassigned device (let's assume it's named plotting1 ) :

venv/bin/chia plots create -b 5000 -r 2 -n 1 -t /plotting1 -d /plots

At the moment there is no better way than with the console for this docker (or via the tmux console, see OP for details on this)

EDIT: The template variable would look like this :

image.png.128ee0572cf5913858b5b69db2930e28.png

Edited by Partition Pixel
6 hours ago, Partition Pixel said:

I'm guessing it's the syncing but hard to say didnt check my cpu usage when it was still getting synced. Do you still have this issue ?

it took about a day of 100% CPU usage and now it is synced so that is working fine now.

Problem is anything that i plot on my NAS using the same mnemonic seed does not show up in the GUI on my main PC its all listed under plots not found for some reason.

Someone said its related to that my Chia instance in docker has a different private key then my main rig but i though the mnemonic was supposed to make sure that doesnt happen.

the big question is now what can i do to make everything use the same private keys and preferably do so without losing any plots?

The chia on the unraid system can see all plots just fine for some reason but there also seem to be two wallets here.

I have a problem with fully syncing my node, and I think the problem is that my docker container is in the wrong timezone, even with the correct variable passed (-e TZ="Europe/Berlin"). 

My containers clock is 2 hours behind and the node only syncs 2 hours behind.
Does anyone have a solution for this?

10 hours ago, adminmat said:

did you say you were farming in Ubuntu? Have you tried to disable the firewall (UFW) or open a port 8444? I think I read about that in another thread.

I use the official chia docker container, which indeed uses the ubuntu 20.04LTS container as a base, but since it's the official chia container, I'd expect they took care of that. Else, everyone who uses the docker, would have the same problem, wouldn't they?

Edited by Trinity
1 hour ago, j3rksn said:

I have a problem with fully syncing my node, and I think the problem is that my docker container is in the wrong timezone, even with the correct variable passed (-e TZ="Europe/Berlin"). 

Since migrating to my docker being the full node I have had random times where I drops back into syncing mode. Now that I read your comment I have also noticed the Timezone is clearly wrong in my docker as well. So what's the fix?

1 hour ago, j3rksn said:

3 minutes ago, jaj08 said:

Since migrating to my docker being the full node I have had random times where I drops back into syncing mode. Now that I read your comment I have also noticed the Timezone is clearly wrong in my docker as well. So what's the fix?

I just discovered, it's the same for me. And it seems like it doesn't install some basic stuff inside this ubuntu.
I entered the container and ran apt-get systemd

It will prompt you to enter your timezone.
But The bad thing is, this would be necessary every time the container is rebuild. So that's something the official chia docker needs to fix or we need a custom own docker container to make sure such things are executed on build time...

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Trinity said:

I just discovered, it's the same for me. And it seems like it doesn't install some basic stuff inside this ubuntu.
I entered the container and ran apt-get systemd

It will prompt you to enter your timezone.
But The bad thing is, this would be necessary every time the container is rebuild. So that's something the official chia docker needs to fix or we need a custom own docker container to make sure such things are executed on build time...

Woohoo, apt-get install systemd and following the setup worked for me.

I restarted the docker for good measure, made sure time zone was right, and almost immediately went back to showing a synced status.  I had things drop out of sync the other day but simply restarting the docker seemed to fix that problem. Hopefully now I can stop fiddling with the docker so I can earn some chia...   I currently have 124 @home, and 632 at the office, but still a member of the 0XCH club.

Hello,

I always get the request that I should enter my key.

Note: log into your key using 'chia wallet show' to see rewards for each key

There are No save Privat Key.

But I saved this as txt in mnenonic.

Sorry my English is not that good come from Germany

Thank you very much for the great thread here!

Edited by speedycxd
1 hour ago, jaj08 said:

Woohoo, apt-get install systemd and following the setup worked for me.

I restarted the docker for good measure, made sure time zone was right, and almost immediately went back to showing a synced status.  I had things drop out of sync the other day but simply restarting the docker seemed to fix that problem. Hopefully now I can stop fiddling with the docker so I can earn some chia...   I currently have 124 @home, and 632 at the office, but still a member of the 0XCH club.

Just to be sure, you understand that anything you install will be blown away by the next update, correct?

• Thanks 1

Haven't seen mention of this error/issue in this thread, so maybe it's just me!

I have been running Chia on a windows machine for a few weeks and so already have a key. When I saw that we had a CA version I quickly loaded it. Followed the instructions and created my mnemonic.txt file and pasted by 24 words. Whenever I try and start the app I get the error that it can't find the file. I've checked the spelling.... I've tried moving it to another folder and changing the entry in the setup page and still the same issue.  FYI... I have windows set to always show file extensions.

Any ideas?

image.png.3f68656ab760a5bccd1430163571aaa2.png

5 hours ago, j3rksn said:

I raised that issue a few posts above, but the problem is tzdata is not included in the official docker, which is out of reach for the author of this template ... So, the TZ variable is just ignored. I only run a harvester on the docker, and it communicates properly with my full node/famer, despite the container is in UTC time and the full node in "Europe/Paris", 2 hours behind just like you.

There's a manual workaround to have the correct time, but you have to redo each time you restart the container :

- entrer the container console

- stop all chia processes : 'chia stop -d farmer'

- install tzdata : 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get install tzdata', there you can set the timezone

- restart chia : 'chia start farmer'

* change 'farmer' in the commands above according to the set of process you run in the container. For me, it's 'harvester' to run 'chia_daemon' and 'chia_harvester' only. 'farmer' is fine for a full node, farmer, harvester and wallet.

Hope that can help, although I doubt your sync issues are related with timezone. I'm almost sure everything is managed as UTC time at network level, and the timezone is only used to display timestamps in logs.

If you don't open and forward the port 8444 to the container (in practice to the IP address of your Unraid server) on your router, you will have difficulties to connect to peers on the network, and thus the sync will take ages. It's exactly the same as in Bittorrent and many other P2P protocols. The oldest may remember the "Low Id" in emule 😉

Edited by Gnomuz
36 minutes ago, Gnomuz said:

Hope that can help, although I doubt your sync issues are related with timezone. I'm almost sure everything is managed as UTC time at network level, and the timezone is only used to display timestamps in logs.

If you don't open and forward the port 8444 to the container (in practice to the IP address of your Unraid server) on your router, you will have difficulties to connect to peers on the network, and thus the sync will take ages. It's exactly the same as in Bittorrent and many other P2P protocols. The oldest may remember the "Low Id" in emule 😉

From the official chia docs: https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/wiki/FAQ#i-am-seeing-blocks-and-connections-but-my-node-says-not-synced

This is usually a system clock issue, which is causing the display of "Not synced", even though you are. Your clock must be set to the exact time, and cannot be more than 5 minutes off. Check your phone and your computer and ensure the time is the same.

So It can be related, I think. I also have troubles to sync, but even after installing systemd it seems like its not syncing correctly.
I have no idea, why the whole docker is causing so much trouble, but I tried to run the GUI in a windows vm on unraid. This. Was. Horrible. The docker container was synced more than twice as fast as the one in the windows vm. So it doesn't seem to be an option. It must work with docker. Because if everything is to slow, one could have a bazillion plots, and would never win, because the reaction of a challenge is to slow...
But the docker feels very unstable. For me it syncs, then it stops, then it works, right now after fixing the time it's again not syncing... It's a nightmare. Oh and the wallet never ever synced on my end. Not sure, what is going on there.

Edited by Trinity

Unraid may be the easiest way to manage these Chia plots and drives. Thank you again for this docker-app.

I ended up setting up a server with a trial license:

- Did not use parity for optimal write speeds. Parity is also not needed as lost data can be replotted. Since UnRAID has data stored at each disk, no need to worry about losing the entire array.

- I used 4x 400GB S3700s as a cache pool to catch all the plots coming from my plotters. The mover-tuning script allowed me to ignore .tmp files when the mover runs every 2hours or so. This is to prevent from causing a traffic jam at spinner-disk array level.

- Saturate my 10gbps connections.

If things get serious (more than 28 drives?), I'll start having to figure out how to use the unassigned drives as a place to store plots.

Hey All! Loving this docker! Thanks @Partition Pixel!

I've been trying for days to make a Plot Manager work with this docker, but I think/agree that the only solution is to integrate it into the docker.

If we're taking votes on Plot Manager integration, I'm a big fan of Swar. I find it a bit more user friendly then Plotman, and can be used in all OSes if you're running more than just the docker (I'm using my MacBook as well as a Windows machine). Here's a screenshot of the interface to try and make the sale :).

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 4.10.07 PM.png

On 5/13/2021 at 12:19 AM, Trinity said:

For me it works :D But yes, the whole docker thing is still very hacky, I can execute all commands I want, can start and stop all the services of chia and I am plotting. Non the less I am not synced some times, especially the wallet. It also does not simple load my keys if I restart the container... I hope they will improve on that.

all good.  im truly glad someone has it working in unraid.  I loaded a basic ubuntu VM and it is plotting 7 staggered plots perfectly  with Swar plot manager which is another thing I cant get to work right in unraid at all.

Just to update, but fixing time zone ended up not fixing my syncing issues. In a way that makes sense, as time was proper, just wrong Timezone, and why would chia be broken in specific time zones?

Any way, for now I was forced to migrate my full node back over to my Windows Desktop where I have been synced all day without issues. For now the docker is strictly a harvester for me.

2 minutes ago, jaj08 said:

Just to update, but fixing time zone ended up not fixing my syncing issues. In a way that makes sense, as time was proper, just wrong Timezone, and why would chia be broken in specific time zones?

Any way, for now I was forced to migrate my full node back over to my Windows Desktop where I have been synced all day without issues. For now the docker is strictly a harvester for me.

Yes I can confirm, it's the same for me. Fixing the timezone alone didn't do the trick. It was syncing, then it was stopping, then syncing again, but after some time it never reached the fully synced status.
To be honst, I just don't get it. I expected the docker container to just work, but it clearly doesn't. Chagning things inside the container shouldn't be necessary at all, so maybe it's not in a perfect state yet.
It might be a good idea to switch to a GUI. The only issue is, I am a little worried about the performance. When I tried running chia inside a windows vm it was horribly slow.

On 5/12/2021 at 5:44 AM, Jimpy said:

Has anyone found a good way to view the plotting process if you accidentally close the terminal?  I messed around with strace but couldn't get it to work.  If this isn't possible, what's the next best option?  Enabling logging after this plot finishes?

I would love to know the answer to this as well.

28 minutes ago, eranwolf said:

I would love to know the answer to this as well.

Yes, this is a good reason to have a plotting manager bundled into the Docker image.  In that case, the plot manager runs plotting in the background even if an Unraid (or other) terminal window is closed.  However, if entire Docker container is restarted/updated, then all plots are killed.

I'm working on this with Machinaris, which bundles Plotman + a basic WebUI along with everything in the main Docker image.  I hope to have Machinaris listed in the Unraid CA repo soon.  Any feedback is appreciated.