[Support] Partition Pixel - Chia

Mine is syncing for more than a day, but I am still trying...

In the meantime:

venv/bin/chia wallet show

shows:

No online backup file found, 
 Press S to skip restore from backup 
 Press F to use your own backup file: 

Did I miss something in OP post? Should I copy files from my first node?...

3 hours ago, unririd said:

Mine is syncing for more than a day, but I am still trying...

In the meantime:

venv/bin/chia wallet show

shows:

No online backup file found, 
 Press S to skip restore from backup 
 Press F to use your own backup file: 

Did I miss something in OP post? Should I copy files from my first node?...

S to skip is what you want.

As long as the chia has picked up the mnemonic correctly (shows in docker logs), you're all good 

12 hours ago, zer0ed said:

Don't start the manager until you figure this out or else you will fill the docker to 100%.  It's irreversible, you won't mess up plots or anything. Just you will have to clean up the mess made to gain back free space.

Not sure what's going on there, the /plotting and /plots directories should point to their respective directories in unraid (outside of the docker).  You could put a fake file or folder in there from outside of the docker then see if you can see that file from within the docker at /plots and /plotting.

cd /plotting
ls

what's your output of the df command

crisis averted =D I didn't have that space in line 6

image.png.72400f705f6a86553dde2404a07e5cfe.png

image.png.43de3af1187e5f99be8ebb3188f9f8da.png

11 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

S to skip is what you want.

As long as the chia has picked up the mnemonic correctly (shows in docker logs), you're all good 

I am not sure whether it has picked up the mnemonic, docker logs:

Chia directory /root/.chia/mainnet
No keys are present in the keychain. Generate them with 'chia keys generate'
/root/.chia/mainnet already exists, no migration action taken
Added private key with public key fingerprint <MY MNEMONIC FIGNERPRINT> and mnemonic
<MY MNEMONIC>
Added plot directory "/plots".
Daemon not started yet
Starting daemon
chia_harvester: started
chia_farmer: started
chia_full_node: started
chia_wallet: started
Chia directory /root/.chia/mainnet
/root/.chia/mainnet already exists, no migration action taken
Added private key with public key fingerprint <MY MNEMONIC FIGNERPRINT> and mnemonic
<MY MNEMONIC>
Added plot directory "/plots".
Daemon not started yet
Starting daemon
chia_harvester: started
chia_farmer: started
chia_full_node: started
chia_wallet: started

However, both wallet and farm summary commands do not work:

image.png.39dbf2f8b894ab6b7b03ee4209284262.png

How to update this? I want to see my future XCH ;-)

I'm currently running the Windows GUI, but hopefully I'll switch back over to this docker soon.

Has anyone else ran into trouble with farming response times when storing your plots on your array? Apparently the response times need to be <5 seconds, but I'm averaging more around 15-18 currently. That's with the farmer running on my Windows machine and the plots stored on my unRaid array. They're both direct connected to the same switch using a 10Gb connection. Any ideas?

Edit: After reading some more, it seems like running the farmer on my unraid server would likely help with this. Tried moving my DB over to that machine, but it kept throwing errors, so now I guess I'll wait for it to slowly rebuild.

Edited by Cloggerdude
9 hours ago, Cloggerdude said:

I'm currently running the Windows GUI, but hopefully I'll switch back over to this docker soon.

Has anyone else ran into trouble with farming response times when storing your plots on your array? Apparently the response times need to be <5 seconds, but I'm averaging more around 15-18 currently. That's with the farmer running on my Windows machine and the plots stored on my unRaid array. They're both direct connected to the same switch using a 10Gb connection. Any ideas?

Edit: After reading some more, it seems like running the farmer on my unraid server would likely help with this. Tried moving my DB over to that machine, but it kept throwing errors, so now I guess I'll wait for it to slowly rebuild.

Yes, challenge response times will suffer if you are "harvesting" over an smb share.  I know challenge response is hardcoded to a 30 second limit, if you're beyond this then you forfit your "win".

PROTIP: you can

. ./activate

before you run any chia commands and this will save you from having to type out venv/bin/chia everytime

I see a lot of people doing the full path method, save yourself some typing ;)

this is the method they use in the chia documentation found on github!

Edited by zer0ed

has anyone checked their number of FULL_NODE peers? (docker exec -it chia venv/bin/chia show -s -c)   I was showing ~7 and I've since forwarded port 8444 to my server. I'm now seeing ~ 14 peers. I've seen on Reddit that some people have ~40 peers showing. Is there something further I need to do to increase this number?

And should I be running the container in host or bridge mode?

Edited by adminmat
On 5/18/2021 at 4:34 AM, zer0ed said:

SYNC ISSUES?

For the fullnode sync issues many people are having with the docker, I've moved my farmer to a separate ubuntu server VM with dedicated resources 4 core, 2 GB RAM. Shortly after it started syncing like a dream and has been staying in sync while plotting on the docker and using it as a harvester.  Watching htop from within the vm, I have seen it use 100% of 3 cores at times while syncing and it's just being a fullnode, farmer, wallet (no plotting or harvesting).

The full node not only maintains a copy of the blockchain, but also validates it which I assume is fighting for resources when plotting from the same machine. I can't be sure, but I've seen a few people mention in the chia reddit suggest not to plot from the same machine as the full node when they were having sync issues.

After I moved my fullnode to the vm, changed the forwarded ports on the router to the new ip (don't forget about that).. it only took a couple hours to catch up the sync and has been holding steady.  More info about the different jobs (farmer, harvester, wallet, full node) can be found here: https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/wiki/Network-Architecture  Help on how to setup different machines to do different jobs: https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/wiki/Farming-on-many-machines.

After all this I like to use Chia Harvest Graph to keep an eye on challenge response times on my harvester.  You can check the logs with INFO level set but this is a lot easier on the eyes :)  Just follow the install instructions on the github, it should build fine in the docker without having to apt-get anything.

So ..you run a VM will a full install of chia client and point you PF to that IP then turn your docker into a harvester? And point that at your VM to sync?

I'm also having troubles with sync in the docker. It's awfully slow and yes I'm plotting on the machine using the same docker.

So indeed it may worth trying plotting via docker and move the farmer to the dedicated VM... I originally thought to run 2 dockers - one solely for plotting and another for farming.

What do you think guys?

On 5/18/2021 at 4:34 AM, zer0ed said:

SYNC ISSUES?

For the fullnode sync issues many people are having with the docker, I've moved my farmer to a separate ubuntu server VM with dedicated resources 4 core, 2 GB RAM. Shortly after it started syncing like a dream and has been staying in sync while plotting on the docker and using it as a harvester.  Watching htop from within the vm, I have seen it use 100% of 3 cores at times while syncing and it's just being a fullnode, farmer, wallet (no plotting or harvesting).

The full node not only maintains a copy of the blockchain, but also validates it which I assume is fighting for resources when plotting from the same machine. I can't be sure, but I've seen a few people mention in the chia reddit suggest not to plot from the same machine as the full node when they were having sync issues.

After I moved my fullnode to the vm, changed the forwarded ports on the router to the new ip (don't forget about that).. it only took a couple hours to catch up the sync and has been holding steady.  More info about the different jobs (farmer, harvester, wallet, full node) can be found here: https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/wiki/Network-Architecture  Help on how to setup different machines to do different jobs: https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/wiki/Farming-on-many-machines.

After all this I like to use Chia Harvest Graph to keep an eye on challenge response times on my harvester.  You can check the logs with INFO level set but this is a lot easier on the eyes :)  Just follow the install instructions on the github, it should build fine in the docker without having to apt-get anything.

how did you get the cert into the harvester im trying to follow Farming on many machines · Chia-Network/chia-blockchain Wiki (github.com) and i cant work out Run chia init -c [directory] on your harvester, where [directory] is the copy of your main machine /ca directory that you put in a temp folder. This command creates a new certificate signed by your main machine's CA. all i get is  

image.png

On 5/15/2021 at 1:58 AM, Gnomuz said:

Without port 8444 forwarded to the full node, you'll have sync issues, as you will only have access to the peers which have their 8444 port accessible, and they are obviously a minority in the network....

Generally speaking, opening a port to a container is not such a big security risk, as any malicious code will only have access to the resources available to the container itself. But in the case of chia, the container must have access to your stored plots to harvest them. An attacker may thus be able to delete or alter your patiently created plots from within the container, which would be a disaster if you have hundreds or thousands of them ! And one of the ways to maximise one's netspace ownership could be the deletion of others' plots ...

That's one of the reasons why I decided to have a dedicated RPi to run the full-node, with the firewall allowing only the strictly required ports, both on the WAN and LAN sides. There's no zero risk architecture, but I think such a setup is much more robust than a fully centralised one where a single machine supports the full set of functions.

@Gnomuz good points. I'll eventually move my farming plots to a segregated VLAN. Question: what network type are you using for the Chia container? Host or Bridge?

Also, how do you like the Asrock Rack X470D4U2-2T ? I just picked up a 5900x yesterday and was looking at the PCIe Gen4 version of that board (X570D4U-2L2T). Do you feel like you have enough expansion for your use? Would love to hear your thoughts.

1. I've stopped plotting on my unraid server altogether and just moved the plotting aspect to a different machine. I don't want it to add to the variables of this syncing mess.

2. Seems like more of us are starting to notice syncing issues over the last few days. Some on this forum topic and I even see a bunch on reddit using both the linux and windows clients.

3. My VM started to lose sync periodically for about an 30+ mins at a time about a day after my post, how are we supposed to win anything if I can't stay in sync?  Since I was constantly losing sync anyways, I figured I would shut down my vm and fire up the docker again.  Why?  so I could try to see if there are any actual differences in sync speeds and if it's worth the hassle of running a vm for sure.  I have minimal plots finished so I figure I had nothing to lose to try and figure this out for my fellow unraid members.  Can't win if I'm out of sync anyways, and when I am in sync for a short period I had low amount of finished plots.

4. I think something could be going on with the actual chia network.  It's been said that many clients are running without contributing because their 8444 ports aren't reachable, effectively making them leechers instead of seeders (torrrent terminology).

5. There's just so many variables about this sync issue and honestly it's frustrating.  Is it the docker, lack of resources while plotting, the chia network itself, the quickly increasing netspace (beyond the developers expectations even)?  Is it a combination of some of these?  Ugh,  It's exhausting for all of us with these issues I'm sure. If it wasn't still early in this crypto's life I would have givin up by now.

6. Having sync issues and feeling lonely?  Search sync on /r/chia reddit and sort by new :P

EDIT:  Some additions,

• I've compared my vm and docker config.yaml files (diff), no significant differences.
  • vm chia version is 1.1.5  --  docker chia version is 1.1.6.dev0.  Is this a different branch?
  • I've just shut down both vm and docker and I am trying the Windows GUI client as the full node to check how it syncs.  I've done all the port forward stuff and removed upnp in the config.  Copied my blockchain db file over so I don't have to start at 0 height.
  • It's nice outside, going to do some yardwork and hope to see the damn win client to have synced up by then!!!
Edited by zer0ed

I've not only tried the introducers, I've even tried the 3 direct nodes and adding nodes from https://chia.keva.app/

I'm currently syncing on the docker trying to catch up to the full blockchain height.  In a tmux session I run.

watch -n 60 chia show -s -c

so I can keep an eye on it.

I have about 11 nodes connected, most I've had is 17.  Many are 0 up/0 down but if you watch long enough they seem to get pruned automatically.  More nodes automatically get added as well.

2 hours ago, zer0ed said:

I've not only tried the introducers, I've even tried the 3 direct nodes and adding nodes from https://chia.keva.app/

I'm currently syncing on the docker trying to catch up to the full blockchain height.  In a tmux session I run.

watch -n 60 chia show -s -c

so I can keep an eye on it.

I have about 11 nodes connected, most I've had is 17.  Many are 0 up/0 down but if you watch long enough they seem to get pruned automatically.  More nodes automatically get added as well.

Are you running the container with network type Host or Bridge?

After 200k blocks it goes awfully slow, may eventually never sync up:

root@chia-unraid:~# while true; do date +%x_%H:%M:%S:%N; docker exec -it chia venv/bin/chia show -s -c | grep 'to block'; sleep 300; done
05/19/2021_22:16:25:559310495
Current Blockchain Status: Full Node syncing to block 304564 
Currently synced to block: 234976
05/19/2021_22:21:26:192509311
Currently synced to block: 235402
05/19/2021_22:26:27:030711131
Currently synced to block: 236169
05/19/2021_22:31:27:893406981
Currently synced to block: 236561

Wierd thing my other two full nodes (win10 gui & another unraid server) are in the same local network and syncing perfectly fine. Only this new dedicated chia box that I'm having troubles with.

3 hours ago, adminmat said:

Are you running the container with network type Host or Bridge?

host (the default)

3 hours ago, zeus83 said:

After 200k blocks it goes awfully slow, may eventually never sync up:

root@chia-unraid:~# while true; do date +%x_%H:%M:%S:%N; docker exec -it chia venv/bin/chia show -s -c | grep 'to block'; sleep 300; done
05/19/2021_22:16:25:559310495
Currently synced to block: 234976
05/19/2021_22:21:26:192509311
Currently synced to block: 235402
05/19/2021_22:26:27:030711131
Currently synced to block: 236169
05/19/2021_22:31:27:893406981
Currently synced to block: 236561

Wierd thing my other two full nodes (win10 gui & another unraid server) are in the same local network and syncing perfectly fine. Only this new dedicated chia box that I'm having troubles with.

Chia devs recommend you only run 1 full node on your network!  I wouldn't change anything if it's working but if you run into issues later you know why. 

On 5/8/2021 at 7:20 PM, Partition Pixel said:

Your folder paths are wrong. You are writing inside of the docker itself this way, that is why you have a warning of 100% docker disk image utilisation !

What you need to do :

1. Setup your variables this way : image.thumb.png.d77485ad8207b2b07e6e5b3c23b26967.png
  2. When you create plots, use this command instead (note the paths I'm using) :

venv/bin/chia plots create -b 5000 -r 2 -n 1 -t /plotting -d /plots

Hey,

Found this as an answer for why the docker image size is at 100%. Copied what you entered, but to no avail. I created new shares with the following info:

/mnt/user/Chia-Plots

image.thumb.png.4ea0a0390722488f1755340f9652d332.png

/mnt/user/Chia-plotting

image.png.465adba819432dbdf427b965704d6b59.png

With the Chia docker configured like this:

image.thumb.png.5b11b6f9581b6f2ac1305511b334b898.png

Still getting 100% Docker usage. Docker vdisk size set to the default 20GB.

Having said this. It appears to be working. I've got a load of lines in the docker cli stating:

"Bucket 46 uniform sort. Ram: 11.652GiB, u_sort min: 0.563GiB, qs min: 0.281GiB."

etc. is that expected?

Edited by Skatman
9 hours ago, zer0ed said:

Chia devs recommend you only run 1 full node on your network!  I wouldn't change anything if it's working but if you run into issues later you know why. 

I tried stopping other two nodes and this wouldn't change anything. So I think there might be another reason for this particular machine to syncing slowly. However I can't figure out the root cause, because the setup looks similar to another unraid box,  except different hardware.

After 2 days I gave up and shut down this docker (it was the only node in the network). I've tried everything: port forwarding, UPnP, directly entering addresses etc. Nothing. I was always 200-800 blocks behind the peak.

Then I launched Chia GUI on my desktop (my previous node). It synced 15 000 blocks within an hour.

Looking at my experience and others from this forum, this docker is not stable enough to be leveraged as a farm, at least for now.

• Like 2
On 5/19/2021 at 5:51 PM, adminmat said:

@Gnomuz good points. I'll eventually move my farming plots to a segregated VLAN. Question: what network type are you using for the Chia container? Host or Bridge?

Also, how do you like the Asrock Rack X470D4U2-2T ? I just picked up a 5900x yesterday and was looking at the PCIe Gen4 version of that board (X570D4U-2L2T). Do you feel like you have enough expansion for your use? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Hi,

I used Host network type, as I didn't see any advantage in having a specific private IP address for the container.

So far, the X470D4U2-2T matches my needs. Let's say the BIOS support from Asrock Rack could be improved ... Support for Ryzen 5000 has been in beta for 3 months, and no sign of life for a stable release.

As for expansion, well, mATX is not the ideal form factor. If ever I were to add a second HBA, I would have to sacrifice the GPU, so no more hardware decoding for Plex. But it's more a form factor issue than something specific to the MB. In terms of reliability, not a single issue with the NAS running 24/7 for a bit more than a year now (fingers crossed), even if in summer the basement is too hot (I live in the south of France).

I had a look at the X570D4U-2L2T. For both MBs, I think their choice of two 10Gb RJ45 interfaces is questionable, I would really prefer to have one or two SFP+ cages, that would make the upgrade to 10Gb much more affordable with a DAC cable. And the X570 clearly privileges the M.2 slots in terms of PCIe lanes allocation if I got it well, that wouldn't be my first choice, but it highly depends on your target use ...

I hope that can help

Edited by Gnomuz