[Support] Partition Pixel - Chia

3 minutes ago, danktankk said:

log-path.png.3c555079b45608df3086364166ec782f.png

my config does havce the leading `/` in it.  Im not sure where you saw that it didnt?

Im not sure how to use /root/.chia for appdata or where it would be moved to.  I am not that great with unraid.

saw it here lol :

image.png.ecc529fb2776efb15a7861597ae96469.png

You don't really need to change anything on the unraid share side, your appdata is still going to be in /mnt/user/appdata/chia, it's just that the container will have it called '/root/.chia' for itself. Then you'll have to change other place where you used /config for /root/.chia (like for the mnemonic), After that I'm betting it will work if you change your log host folder for /mnt/user/appdata/chia/mainnet/log

25 minutes ago, Partition Pixel said:

saw it here lol :

image.png.ecc529fb2776efb15a7861597ae96469.png

You don't really need to change anything on the unraid share side, your appdata is still going to be in /mnt/user/appdata/chia, it's just that the container will have it called '/root/.chia' for itself. Then you'll have to change other place where you used /config for /root/.chia (like for the mnemonic), After that I'm betting it will work if you change your log host folder for /mnt/user/appdata/chia/mainnet/log

I did everything remotely from my phone. Changing it back to /root/.chia does make the logfile appear now.   I have no idea why and wish that wasn't the case, but it did work.  Thank you for the help!  

Is there anyway that /root/.chia can be altered in a  future update?  I prefer using /config...  Not a deal breaker obviously ☺️

Edited by danktankk
  • Like 1

Why is my /plots dir not working 
image.thumb.png.8d42e17d0221efcb7bfb435591a45a29.png

Getting ths in log: Plots directory appears to be empty and you have not specified another, try mounting a plot directory with the docker -v command
Added plot directory "/plots".

The chia_stor is a shared folder on the array set to not use the cache. And chia_plots is a folder in the folder. 

I quess I´m stuupid but can´t understand why its not moving plots from /plotting to /plots

If the node and harvester are on another machine besides unraid, what would the port need to be?  It doesnt appear that it is connecting properly.

root@baconator:~# tail -f /mnt/user/appdata/chia/mainnet/log/debug.log
2021-05-11T11:50:45.197 harvester harvester               : INFO     Reconnecting to peer {'host': '192.168.1.45', 'port': 8448}
2021-05-11T11:51:19.205 harvester harvester               : INFO     Reconnecting to peer {'host': '192.168.1.45', 'port': 8448}
2021-05-11T11:51:53.202 harvester harvester               : INFO     Reconnecting to peer {'host': '192.168.1.45', 'port': 8448}

Also, is there a plotting log somewhere?  Its useful to track plots while you are out with an app I use.  It doesnt use debug.log for that.   In windows, the folder for it is here:

C:\Users\<user>.\.chia\mainnet\plotter

Edited by danktankk

Hi,

Thanks for the template, I was waiting for it because my full node is on a Raspberry Pi4 and everything works fine, but harvesting from the Pi on an Unraid Samba share was just awful from a performance standpoint, especially while a new plot was being copied to the array (I saw response times beyond 30 seconds!).

Now I run only a harvester in the container, and response times are more in the milliseconds range ! By tweaking config.yaml it's easy to connect the container harvester to the full node, after having generated keys for the harvester with chia init -c /path/to/full/node/certs (see https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/wiki/Farming-on-many-machines for more details).

I just have a silly issue, the container seems to default to a generic "Europe" timezone, and timestamps are off by two hours with my local time in France. I added a "TZ" variable set to "Europe/Paris" to the template, but that changed nothing.

I installed tzdata inside the container and dkpg-reconfigure tzdata to Europe/Paris, it's fine now, but obviously it's not a persistent solution.

I would really prefer to have consistent timestamps in logs between the various machines (harvester container, full node, plotting machines).

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

PS : of course, my Unraid host is in my timezone 

Edited by Gnomuz
typo
  • Like 2

I have this up and running although I didn't use the CA template.  I have a few questions:

- How do I view logs? and how do I view progress of ongoing plotting?

- when i do a:

# docker exec -it chia venv/bin/chia show -s

I get:

Current Blockchain Status: Full Node syncing to block 261754
Currently synced to block: 248900
Current Blockchain Status: Not Synced. Peak height: 248900

Why is the Blockchain Status not synced? Do i have to open a port on my router or forward a port to this Docker container?

On 5/7/2021 at 8:59 PM, Jim007 said:

Thank you OP (PARTITION PIXEL) for setting this up.   I have a question.  How can you configure this Docker to only be a plotter?  I already have a full Chia Node setup in a windows 10 VM on another unRAID server.  It's not immediately obvious in the Chia documentation as to how to do this. 

Can you tell me what port you use to connect to your farmer? I see the setting for harverster only to be set to true but am unsure of the port to use to connect.

NOT TO BLAME PIXEL, Just super confusing directions for a novice, including from chia official sources.

I have had a lot of trouble with getting plots to actually show up, super frustrating! I am abandoning this template and just setting up a F'n VM and mining off that. The time-curve of production is working AGAINST anyone not able to get this working ASAP rather hard. I have completed at least 1 table 4 sort and then have that harvester just drop out. when I do a farm summary, I am greeted with 0 plots, but I think I need the gui to start with as I have no idea if things are still operating. I cant spend more time trying to figure out if its the docker, my config, or whatever when I should have just setup a dedicated VM and mined off that.

I think I leave this running, and just see what I can cobble together for a dedicated machine would be the best bet.

Edited by jollymonsa
23 minutes ago, jollymonsa said:

NOT TO BLAME PIXEL, Just super confusing directions for a novice, including from chia official sources.

I have had a lot of trouble with getting plots to actually show up, super frustrating! I am abandoning this template and just setting up a F'n VM and mining off that. The time-curve of production is working AGAINST anyone not able to get this working ASAP rather hard. I have completed at least 1 table 4 sort and yet when I do a farm summary, I am greeted with 0 plots. I cant spend more time trying to figure out if its the docker, my config, or whatever when I should have just setup a dedicated VM and mined off that.

Same here. Did manage it to plot to ssd (second cache) but I have not manage it to actually move the plots to the array. 

Plots directory appears to be empty and you have not specified another, try mounting a plot directory with the docker -v command
Added plot directory "/plots".

2 minutes ago, ropes said:

Are you guys are giving it enough time to complete the plotting process?

A k32 plot can be done by one expert we know in just under 4 hours, but most experts are creating plots in 5 hours and most folks average around 9-12 hours.

https://www.chia.net/2021/02/22/plotting-basics.html

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Im at 16+ hours, on 5 of the remaining active plottings (1 died?), and they are at:

"Starting phase 2/4: Backpropagation into tmp files... Tue May 11 16:19:22 2021"

I just have no insight into what is happening here, but I can relate this is how long phase 1 took:

"Time for phase 1 = 60548.690 seconds."

Something is wrong, but I have no idea what. The chia official gives pretty over the top ideas to look for that include things like restarting chia to change the log level, which would tank the existing plotting, from my understanding. 

Im at 16+ hours, on 5 of the remaining active plottings (1 died?), and they are at:

"Starting phase 2/4: Backpropagation into tmp files... Tue May 11 16:19:22 2021"

I just have no insight into what is happening here, but I can relate this is how long phase 1 took:

"Time for phase 1 = 60548.690 seconds."

Something is wrong, but I have no idea what. The chia official gives pretty over the top ideas to look for that include things like restarting chia to change the log level, which would tank the existing plotting, from my understanding. 
Yeah if you restart the container you will lose what you have currently done.

Phase 1 & phase 3 take the longest time, the others are quicker.

Nothing will be written to the array until the very end. Everything prior is reading/writing to the SSD.

Is your cpu doing anything else intensive? As that can really slow down the process.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ropes said:

Nothing will be written to the array until the very end. Everything prior is reading/writing to the SSD.

Is your cpu doing anything else intensive? As that can really slow down the process.

HOLY COW! Thanks for the super clear, concise message about everything getting written at the very end to the array! I am sure it has been written and I probably have even read it, but the way you said it finally registered :)

The CPU is also doing a docker for ZoneMinder and that can be intensive, but the real problem is I am running 2x 2630L v2 processors (to reduce heat) instead of the 2x 2650v2 processors I have here I think. Once these 5 remaining plots get written to the array, I will be adding 64gb ram and putting the faster processors back in also. Gonna have to move the sc486 back to the garage however, this room is like a sauna.

5 minutes ago, jollymonsa said:

HOLY COW! Thanks for the super clear, concise message about everything getting written at the very end to the array! I am sure it has been written and I probably have even read it, but the way you said it finally registered :)

The CPU is also doing a docker for ZoneMinder and that can be intensive, but the real problem is I am running 2x 2630L v2 processors (to reduce heat) instead of the 2x 2650v2 processors I have here I think. Once these 5 remaining plots get written to the array, I will be adding 64gb ram and putting the faster processors back in also. Gonna have to move the sc486 back to the garage however, this room is like a sauna.

If you are also running too many in parallel can slow down the plotting process.

A 1tb ssd can do about 3 in parallel (4 if you time it right) if you have the RAM to accompany it.

This is providing you are using the drive solely for plotting.

Has anyone got this Chia docker working alongside Chiadog? https://github.com/martomi/chiadog

I was able to properly install the Chiadog docker, and it is working and sending notifications, but for some reason it can't read my Chia log file. It keeps sending notifications saying Chia isn't running but the log shows that everything is working. I mapped the log directory and I can get to it from within the Chiadog console so I am not sure what is going on.

Edited by kroovy
33 minutes ago, ropes said:

If you are also running too many in parallel can slow down the plotting process.

A 1tb ssd can do about 3 in parallel (4 if you time it right) if you have the RAM to accompany it.

This is providing you are using the drive solely for plotting.

I am parallel mining (via terminal exec, not docker launched terminal) and started 6 with line:

docker exec -it chia venv/bin/chia plots create -b 4300 -r 2 -t /plotting/plot2 -d /plots

Have a 2TB ssd used only for mining.

32GB ram and the 2x 2630L v2 will be upgraded as soon as these 5 plots (hopefully) finish. Not sure why the 1 died, but will enable better log level once I move it all.

16 hours ago, Gnomuz said:

Hi,

Thanks for the template, I was waiting for it because my full node is on a Raspberry Pi4 and everything works fine, but harvesting from the Pi on an Unraid Samba share was just awful from a performance standpoint, especially while a new plot was being copied to the array (I saw response times beyond 30 seconds!).

Now I run only a harvester in the container, and response times are more in the milliseconds range ! By tweaking config.yaml it's easy to connect the container harvester to the full node, after having generated keys for the harvester with chia init -c /path/to/full/node/certs (see https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/wiki/Farming-on-many-machines for more details).

I just have a silly issue, the container seems to default to a generic "Europe" timezone, and timestamps are off by two hours with my local time in France. I added a "TZ" variable set to "Europe/Paris" to the template, but that changed nothing.

I installed tzdata inside the container and dkpg-reconfigure tzdata to Europe/Paris, it's fine now, but obviously it's not a persistent solution.

I would really prefer to have consistent timestamps in logs between the various machines (harvester container, full node, plotting machines).

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

PS : of course, my Unraid host is in my timezone 

Hi how did you manage to start the container in harvester only mode?

1 hour ago, gabiroli said:

Hi how did you manage to start the container in harvester only mode?

Hi,

Review the link I gave in my OP (https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/wiki/Farming-on-many-machines) to understand the underlying objectives.

Step by step :

- copy the mainnet/config/ssl/ca directory of your full node in a path accessible from the container, e.g. appdata/chia

- edit the container settings :

• farmer_address : IP address of your farmer/full node machine
  • farmer_port : 8447
  • harvester_only : true

- start the container

- enter the container console

- enter "top", you should have only two chia processes : "chia_daemon" and "chia_harvester"

- enter the venv : ". ./activate"

- stop the running processes : "chia stop -d all"

- check the processes stopped properly with "top"

- create the keys for the container harvester signed by the farmer node : "chia init -c /root/.chia/ca" (if you copied the famer's ca directory as suggested above, adjust if needed)

- restart the harvester : "chia start harvester"

- check both logs (container and farmer nodes), you will see successful connections between both nodes if your logs are set at INFO level

- if everything is fine, delete the adddata/chia/ca directory so that you don't have multiple copies of your keys around your network as a safety measure

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Phil85 said:

My Plan is......

Buy a 2TB NVME SSD

Buy a 12TB WD USB Plate

Make a Windows VM and passthrough the two plates for Plotting and plots.

Is this possible and a good idea or should i make in a other way ?

Thanks 

If you're willing to run a VM 24/7 that's totally fine.

When you finish plotting you can also reduce the amount of RAM allocated to that VM and just farm with it.

Thanks for your answer.

What is the perfekt filesystem for the SSD and the HDD to passthrough to the win10 VM.

Should i take NFS or something else, because windows dont know the XFS filesystem ?

And btrfs i dont know whether windows knows it ?