powerdown hangs on VMs, results in parity check

Greetings,

I have 3 VMs on my server: 1) Ubuntu (cache), 2) Win10 with GPU passthrough (unassigned device), 3) Win10 with GPU passthrough (unassigned device).

If these VMs are active, shutting down/rebooting from the GUI results in a parity check at boot time. The same holds true for the powerdown command. The three VMs close gracefully within seconds if I use the virsh shutdown command manually.

I'm trying to wrap my head on how unRAID  powerdown sequence works and have the following questions:

1) Is the GUI power/reboot buttons shutting down VMs prior to shutting down the array? If so, what command does it use?
2) Can the shutdown/reboot sequence by customized?
3) Can my issue be related to the unassigned device usage?

I'm on Version 6.8.3 (V6.9 killed my server, I had to revert back)

Thanks

JF

Go to Setting > VM Manager > Vm shutdown time-out. Set the timeout to what you feel is reasonable, depending on how long you want to wait for a VM to power down.

Same for Settings > Disk Settings > Shutdown time-out. This should be longer than the VM option so all the virtual machines can be shut down properly or killed before powering down.

In my Xubuntu VM I had to create a file that makes the OS shut down when the power button is pressed. Otherwise it would just wake the 'screen' and never shut off, resulting in a forced shutdown. This worked for me and might work for regular Ubuntu too: https://askubuntu.com/questions/71312/pressing-the-power-button-does-not-turn-off-the-computer-in-xubuntu

Another option is that Windows also has a nasty habit of wanting to install updates during shutdowns.  Since these will always tend to take more than whatever timeout you specify, you can also in Settings - VM Settings tell the VM to hibernate instead of shutting down (You also need to install the QEMU Guest Agent -> it's on the virtio ISO on the VM to support this.)