Hello old friends

marlin

Hello old friends,

It’s been years since I have been on the forum or done much with UnRAID, since 4.7 actually when I was left behind due to the move to 64 bit CPU’s.

The time to upgrade is now. I have been wildly reading the forum to try to catch up but feel a bit like the drowning man with a lot I am unfamiliar with nor need (I think?). Basically just looking to refresh a local media jukebox perhaps with some computer backup capabilities.

I’ve read through a lot of “my rig” signatures and have signed up to the ‘discord server’ for some needed hand holding. I know I don’t need cutting edge components but suggestions of a CPU, RAM and MB would be very helpful. I plan on reusing my Cooler Master (Centurion)/Icy Dock (2) box, PSU (500w), AOC-SASLP-MV8 and 8 x 2TB drives. I need an ATX MB. I don’t think I need a cache drive but correct me if I’m wrong. I have 2x PRO license USB but have only put 1 into service.

My biggest question has to do with system communications. I do not have Ethernet internet, I phone hot-spot my internet. I do have an old router I can use if needed and/or have a Gigabit switch box which hopefully I can use to add the “head” to UnRAID plus the WD TV Live Plus to feed the 1080 TV screen. I know I need a monitor and keyboard to telnet in for initial startup.

From my reading I need to do a “clean” install and perhaps do not need to upgrade the file system at this time but future drives should be XFS. Would it be preferred to start with a new parity and data disk or just go forward once the BIOS and software is loaded and load in my old parity and data disks?

Looking forward to getting access again to all the old media I have which is just collecting dust at this point. I need ‘small steps’ but any help is appreciated.

Long live UnRAID

39 minutes ago, marlin said:

AOC-SASLP-MV8

Marvell based controllers are no longer recommended, so you may need to replace that if you need more SATA connections than the motherboard has.

42 minutes ago, marlin said:

My biggest question has to do with system communications. I do not have Ethernet internet, I phone hot-spot my internet. I do have an old router I can use if needed

Can the router be programmed as a wifi extender that can pick up your phone wifi and translate it to ethernet?

44 minutes ago, marlin said:

Would it be preferred to start with a new parity and data disk

That would probably be better, keep the old disks intact as backups and load the files to new disks. By my calculations you should be able to easily fit all your data on 2 8TB disks. So, you could have all your current stuff with 1 parity 2 data.

However, if you don't want to spend $500 on new drives right now, you can just use your current drives.

jonathanm - thank you for the reply.

1) I had a suspicion or vague memory the Marvell controller was also past its prime and why I listed it. Will also upgrade/date it if needed depending on the MB I choose.

2) Right now I hardwire/usb port the iPhone into the computer and I do not think the old router has capability to Wi-Fi in and out. Probably will need a new something there too. Not to put the 'cart before the horse' but couldn't the computer assign an IP address from the switch/unraid/WD tv box? Something to discuss once I have my new server up and running. When I built my old server I was on satellite internet. Cell reception was a big step forward here living in the sticks. 

3) 2 of the 8 drives (all 2TB) are unassigned according to my notes. May just pull those and re-preclear them to XFS to get to a working box then decide what to do from there as far as reloading media into the new server.

4) seems like a touchy subject to ask for MB & CPU suggestions which is understandable because everyone's box is unique to their circumstances'. Old forum build sections seem to be way outdated. any hints to point me where to look?

trurl - thank you also for replying. Dockers have peaked my interest so will build a cache in per your suggestion and expand if I find the thrill in it. Sounds better to be over prepared than under. I thought the cache could be added later but sounds like it is not the case.

Thanks again for all assistance.

15 minutes ago, marlin said:

I thought the cache could be added later but sounds like it is not the case.

It can be, but the process to get the files moved after the fact is more work than simply setting them up there in the first place. Not a huge deal, but it feels like we have to walk someone through the process at least once a week and it gets old. It really is no more complex than disabling the docker and vm services then changing the settings and running the mover, but it seems like people have a hard time following explicit directions for some reason.

The biggest reason to have a SSD cache is to keep all the random accesses for containers and VM's fast, and allow the parity and data drives to spin down periodically. No cache means parity and at least one data drive spun up whenever the server is running.

20 minutes ago, marlin said:

couldn't the computer assign an IP address from the switch/unraid/WD tv box?

Which computer? Unraid has to be ethernet hard wired into something that has an internet gateway, maybe describe your device topology a little more clearly?

22 minutes ago, marlin said:

2 of the 8 drives (all 2TB) are unassigned according to my notes.

So, you have 5 2TB drives with data currently? How long has it been since they have been health checked? I stand by my original suggestion to start with new drives, but it sounds like you could get away with a pair of 8TB, one parity, one data, and your 2 spare 2TB all formatted XFS, and copy the data from the ReiserFS drives leaving them for backup.

26 minutes ago, marlin said:

seems like a touchy subject to ask for MB & CPU suggestions which is understandable because everyone's box is unique to their circumstances

Not touchy, just complex. Too many variables in technology and world markets at the moment.

If you like to tinker and dig around for solutions and stuff, AMD seems to have a better performance for the price, but you may be chasing gremlins. Intel seems safer and more stable but cost more.

There is no such thing as being over prepared for VM's and containers, it's just a matter of capacity. It's "easy" to set up a single VM with hardware passthrough and a dozen or so docker containers, it's a whole 'nother thing to set one up with 3 simultaneous VM workstations all with their own monitor keyboard and mouse and 30+ docker containers. If you are shooting for the latter, better find someone who has already done it and copy their build, because it's going to require a specific recipe of server grade board and video cards.

12 hours ago, marlin said:

seems like a touchy subject to ask for MB & CPU suggestions which is understandable because everyone's box is unique to their circumstances'. Old forum build sections seem to be way outdated. any hints to point me where to look?

Many of us put our hardware specs in our sigs, but the forum doesn't display these for you by default. Click the dropdown by your username at the top right of the forum and go to Account Settings to enable sig display and edit your own sig.

Probably the best way to get specific recommendations is to make suggestions of your own and see if anyone sees any potential problems.

jonathanm - thank you again for the reply. The explanation for the cache drive usefulness was helpful, especially the fact that the drives can spin down.

Regarding the IP addressing issue, the computer I was referring to is my computer/browser computer that I plug (USB) my phone into for internet. Can the computer/browser computer be the internet gateway to assign IP address. Then I'd hooked into the switch (via the ethernet port) to address the server and WDTV? Again this is a cart/horse issue and can be put off till after I get my new server up.

Yes, 5 data drives. The last health check was years ago but no power has been fed to the server either. None of the drives were loaded over 90% of capacity per suggestions years ago. Not sure the 'fullness' of the last couple of drives that were placed in service? I took screen shots of all the pages of ver 4.7 software years ago and have not powered it up since. Will need assistance or pointing to forum threads for the copying of the ReiserFS media, but again after everything is up and running. I like the idea of setting up XFS drives and copying over.

Will definitely be targeting a low level server. Will probably go Intel mostly for the simple reason that I don't need a graphics card added that way, if I understand correctly. Love tinkering but stability and reliability is more important for the server. This will mostly be just a jukebox for local media streaming but would like to play with dockers some. VM I think is above my pay level. Will come back with more questions once I take a stab at some potential hardware possibilities. Thanks again for your time.

trurl - Thanks to you also for your input. Have sig display on. Shows on desktop but not on phone display. Guessing just a format issue on mobile optimization. Will gather some hardware possibilities, search the hardware page for any issues, and come back for verification of Okay-dokey-ness. 

Thanks again all.

@jonathanm @trurl I'm reading and learning all the time.

Also found the sticky thread on copying files so 1 more worry resolved.

I can now easily see why no one likes to suggest parts. The choices are excessive to say the least. I used 'pcpartpicker' as a crutch and starting point. Not sure what SMT is or if I need to worry about it since I used the "compatibility button" on the site. Also was not able to locate where 'sata expansion cards' are on the site? Perhaps they don't offer them or I do not know what to call them? Anyway 2 separate day stabs at builds came up with similar components. Input welcome.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ddw3Dc

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($22.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 STEEL LEGEND ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($145.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2800 CL17 Memory  ($92.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Green 240 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($43.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $620.94

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mFqdQD

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($259.98 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Intel E97379-001 CPU Cooler  ($8.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($83.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($93.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $601.93

Thanks in advance

• 5 months later...

HI again,

ver 4.7 box coming out of mothballs and would like some help and guidance. Received updated MB, CPU, RAM and placing in old box since I need 64 bit hardware, plus 2 -3TB HD, and 1 SSD cache to get system going again. Have 6 -2TB drives in old system, 1 parity which all have old file system. Will leave update to xfs till end.

Have tons of questions since I've forgotten more than I ever knew, but have been wildly reading threads / guides also. Have old screen shots of 'UnMenu' stuff before box was put away. Have 2 PRO flash drives registered keys, 1 flash with 4.7, other never used, in reserve.

1) Do I use the 'USB creator' to get the 6.9.x version on flash via my WIN 10 machine? If using the 'creator' will I loose the reg. key on the flash?

2) I need to set up static IP now since my internet is via UBS tethered hotspot with my phone. i.e. no router for IP assignment. Will be direct ethernet between desktop and Unraid. (Another potential stumbling block)

3) once I get hardware and unraid happy will come back with more questions I'm sure.  Goal is a basic media server mostly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

On 10/25/2021 at 6:40 PM, marlin said:

2) I need to set up static IP now since my internet is via UBS tethered hotspot with my phone. i.e. no router for IP assignment. Will be direct ethernet between desktop and Unraid. (Another potential stumbling block)

You still could use a router, that offers to use a metered connection as WAN, either via WiFi (access to the WiFi-Hotspot of your phone) or USB-Tethering (Internet LTE Stick - this will depend on the Plan you purchase from your provider...either a second SIM, like with a "family plan" or a separate data-only contract/plan).

Typical Routers that can do this are ones you use for traveling (like accessing a Hotel/Guest WiFi when on the road).

This is the one I use: https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar750s/ for example

Other options are dedicated LTE Routers, with a SIM slot and 4G/5G Modem....there are tons of models out there.

Often your SIM/Contract provider offers them for free or little money with the purchase of a Data-Plan. I am using a 30GB/month Plan for a so called Home-Spot (via 4G) as Backup for my wired/cable-Box.

As I live n a rural area, with bad reception, this is the router I am using: https://mikrotik.com/product/lhgg_lte6_kit ...mounted to a pole/stand in my attic.

Thank you both for your help and suggestions. 
@trurl will review wiki link, had not looked in the legacy area. 

@Ford Prefect thanks for the suggestions. Hoping Starlink gets here sooner than later. Will be borrowing a usb router to try and make due since viasat router is no longer viable. 
Will update with progress

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Well finally returning with a good progress update :)

Server is built and running, clean install. Ended up with a Asrock Z590, i5-11400, 2×8 GB ram, WD500GB SSD drive, and updated disc controller from Art of Server. Had a major headache with internet access till I finally bought the router AR-750S as suggested above. Which if I had been paying attention is what I should have done from the start instead of fighting with ‘sharing’, ‘bridging’, etc. of the cellphone on the computers ethernets, which was way above my knowledge level. Plugged the new router in and was merrily downloading plugins, which I needed, in minutes. Needed a “SureCall” booster for the phone signal too. Drawback of living on the outer edge of civilization.

Is there anyway to get plugins without internet? Seems like it would be nice to download plugins on 1 computer and flash drive them over to another computer, but I really don’t know if it would be possible. I couldn’t find any recent threads on how to do it. Can Unraid be run without internet once the OS is purchased? (I have 2 Pro licenses) No plugins seem almost impossible. I also plan on writing a thread about using cellphones for internet since most people think it is not possible. Of course an appropriate router makes all the difference in the world. But most threads seem to say it can’t be done.

Still have some tinkering with the BIOS to get all the fans running and the RGB LED’s turned off. Next hurdle is disc assignment, integrating old ReiserFS data discs into new OS version. I’ve seen threads on ‘how to’ but need to find them again. Was given 2- 3TB and 1- 4TB drives by a friend which I plan on pre-clearing to test. Then use the 4TB as parity. If I format the 4TB to XFS will it still interface with the ReiserFS data discs? Then can I reformat the old 2TB parity? Also can I reformat 2 empty, unassigned 2TB ReiserFS discs without worry? At this time plan on using the old ReiserFS data discs, low usage hours. All future formats will be XFS.

Still have more plugins to download and learn about, then onto the wonderful world Dockers. Not sure if I will ever make it to VM’s. Another question is whether my old WDTV Live Plus box (for TV) will still work with this new system?

Forward Ho! Thanks for all the help past and present. And for all the work people have put into the Unraid universe.

48 minutes ago, marlin said:

1- 4TB drives by a friend which I plan on pre-clearing to test. Then use the 4TB as parity. If I format the 4TB to XFS will it still interface with the ReiserFS data discs? Then can I reformat the old 2TB parity? Also can I reformat 2 empty, unassigned 2TB ReiserFS discs without worry? At this time plan on using the old ReiserFS data discs, low usage hours. All future formats will be XFS.

If I understand you, the only 4TB disk is parity. Parity doesn't have a filesystem so it isn't formatted. You can have different filesystems in the same array. If you format a disk in the array parity is updated just like for any other write operation.

Just to check that I’m doing things in the proper order after pre-clearing new 4 & 3 TB drives drives.

1. Assign discs, 1 -4TB drive to Parity, 5 -2TB old ReiserFS data discs

2. Run Parity

3. Run “New Permissions”

4. Set up Shares

5. Run “Fix Common Problems”

6. Run “App Backup”, backup Flash drive

7. Assign new 2- 3TB and 2- 2TB drives

I assume it will ask to FORMAT drives at this point (disc settings set to XFS) and not at step 1. And it will not format the ReiserFS data drives.

Just to get into good habits and proper etiquette attached is my diagnostic file. Thank you as always.

tower-diagnostics-20211214-0830.zip

2 minutes ago, marlin said:

Noticed under “shares” tab there are a lot of my movies(data) listed besides the standard shares.

User shares are simply the top level folders on array or pools (cache). Even if you don't create them as user shares in the webUI, any folders at the top level of array or pools (cache) are user shares (and always have been as far as I know) and will have default settings until you make settings for them.

Haven't looked at all those shares, but many of them are only on disk5.

I suspect you had excluded disk5 from Global Share Settings in your old configuration. Or more likely you had included disks 1,2,3,4 in Global Share Settings, and later added disk5 without including it in Global Share Settings. So disk5 wasn't included in user shares and you never saw those folders in user shares.

Unless you want to exclude that disk again they will continue to be user shares unless you  move those to other user shares.

Thanks, 10 years ago was last time I touched Unraid so will not bet on anything.

I will let parity finish and then come back for guidance. Will probably move them to 'Movies' share eventually. Disk5 was last drive I placed movies to and have many more to do now after ten years.  Will add end of parity 'diagnostics' when done.

Thanks again for your help. 

OK, parity complete and successful, diagnostic attached. Luckily I got preclears and parity done before the power went out due to a winter storm. APC not connected in yet but on the list of ‘To-do’. Will probably not depend on it anyway due to the 3rd world power grid system here. Power backup will hopefully give me the time to do a clean shutdown if I’m in the middle of using it. UPS is not big enough for long term unraid running survival.

Anyway, next step is to clean up the ‘user share’ of all the movies present. I see the structure difference of disk 5 compared to the others disks but do not remember what I was doing back then. Guessing I copied movies directly to each disk and did not let ‘shares’ do its job. Will correct the error of my ways in the future. Can I just add a “Movies” folder to disk 5 and move all the movies into that? Will that clean up the user shares? I’m sure you have a more eloquent way. :)

You mentioned perhaps I used a global include/exclude command? Did that carry over on the drive from ver 4.7? Not clear on how that would have happened. Been reading up on RFS to XFS conversion. Will take a stab at it once the system is set up in good order. Can you point me to information on how to read 'diagnostic' files? Have some other questions but will go 1 step at a time. Thanks for the assistance. Greatly appreciated.

tower-diagnostics-20211214-1520.zip