I am an Idiot

Well, the Title says what my Main Problem is at the moment

Ive Installed Unraid on an USB and Installed all my Containers and VMs on an 256gb ssd that i just added as Disk 1 in the Main Tab.
Now, about a month after my Unraid Installation i know much more about Unraid, and now, that wasn't Great. 

Is there Any easy way to migrate all paths and move the SSD to the SSD in an Cache-Pool?

I just want to add my 2 Mirrored 8tb HDDs in the Unraid-System, and i don't know if theres a better solution then doing it all manually.

Because i am not looking into using the HDDs often (I just have them for Jellyfin Files and Family Stuff) i wonder if theres any way to mount them sperate with their own SMB share.

If someone knows a solution just let me know

Best,
Kippenhof

Hi there,

What you'll need to do is stop both the Docker and VM Manager services (located on the Settings Docker and settings VM Manager) pages.  With those services disabled, you should manually move all the data off your SSD in the array to your HDDs in the array.  Then when that completes, you can stop the array and perform a "New Config" operation from the Tools page.  Set it to preserve disk assignments and when done, go back to the main tab.  Now your SSD will still be assigned to the array, but the box to the left will be Blue instead of Green, indicating that you can DEASSIGN the device.  Then you can reassign that SSD to the cache pool and start the array.  Once the array is started, you can then bulk copy all of the data back from the array disk(s) to the cache.  Last step will be to ensure that all of the paths for your containers/VMs are still pointed correctly but after that, you should be good to go!

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, jonp said:

Hi there,

What you'll need to do is stop both the Docker and VM Manager services (located on the Settings Docker and settings VM Manager) pages.  With those services disabled, you should manually move all the data off your SSD in the array to your HDDs in the array.  Then when that completes, you can stop the array and perform a "New Config" operation from the Tools page.  Set it to preserve disk assignments and when done, go back to the main tab.  Now your SSD will still be assigned to the array, but the box to the left will be Blue instead of Green, indicating that you can DEASSIGN the device.  Then you can reassign that SSD to the cache pool and start the array.  Once the array is started, you can then bulk copy all of the data back from the array disk(s) to the cache.  Last step will be to ensure that all of the paths for your containers/VMs are still pointed correctly but after that, you should be good to go!

Thank you for that long and detailed answer. I think I'll be able to fix it, and I will do that tomorrow after my Exam.

Best,

Kippenhof

• Like 1

So, to End that all:

I had some Problems because my Trial was Expired so i tried to get these 14 Days Extension, but there was some Server Error, so i Bought an Licence-Key for the OS.

I followed your Instructions @jonp and moved many Files from here to there .I was migrating two Running 8tb Raid 1 OMV Drives into this System. (Basically i installed one as Drive in the Array and Copied the Files via Windows SMB Drag and Drop [Raspberry PI -> Windows -> "Chantal"] ).

Then i copied my Old disk 1 on an other, same sized btrfs Drive in an Cache pool, formated the old cache drive and added it to the pool. Now i have an great redundancy for my Cache and my Normal 2 Drives

Scr of Current Setup :
image.thumb.png.4e9943456e1a1ac39e6a6979fa1d8813.png

Thx for all the Help, and have a nice Day :)

Edited by Kippenhof
Formating

You could of done what I did. 

I installed another SSD of a smaller size for backing up my appdata and other small things and have been using an Rysnc script to back it up. I had an issue and instead of formatting my backup drive I erased my Cache/appdata drive. 

Needless to say some head scratching, complaining from the Family I restored it, but felt like an idiot for not double checking. Its not like I didn't have to unassign the drive, go into unassigned devices and click format. The size difference of 250GB vs 1TB or the fact that my 1TB isn't a Samsung. I WAS BLIND. Lol

We all do dumb things, but I'm just glad unraid gives us a way out.