Bad Streaming

Hi everyone,

since some days for watching a film with Kodi, the quality of video seams to be worse quality, like low bitrate. I found the similar problem with plex, and with it the video stunning also
I’ve thought that the problem could be my lan connection. But how can check on it??

tks! 

Hi Squid

how do you mean “directly”? for your opinion is a source’s issue? Does it possible that the problem is my lan? Doesn’t give me this problem 10 days ago! 
I don’t know Unmanic…  i’m a beginner!
Sorry

maybe have i to restart my unraid?? It works since 25 days 

You said "low quality".  Forgetting Plex as there's a million reasons why quality degrades when you're transposing and streaming remotely.

Using Kodi you're on your own LAN, so no transposing is involved and it just plays the file as-is.

So, you're down to quality of the source, settings on the video card, settings on the TV, etc.  LAN problems with Kodi would usually be Buffering, or blockiness etc.

Infact, i’m afraid that my lan has a problem and is enought for 1080 or 4k buffer. 
is there a program to check on the lan quality.. ? i think that my lan hasn’t a regular quality and this make the buffering issue. 
i’ve got a gigabyte lan but Tp-link power lan 

23 minutes ago, Alcarimon said:

Infact, i’m afraid that my lan has a problem

A "normal" LAN has a bandwith of 1000MBit (or 1GBit).

A BluRay has a max. bitrate of 80MBit - normaly between 10Mbit and 40MBit (DVDs max. 10MBit).

So if there is something wrong, either your Movies are at low bitrate or you have set your Plex/Kodi to transcode to a very low bitrate...

At the Plex-client, there is direct play, direct stream and transcode with different bitrates - check your settings!

And if you use WLAN, you will see a lot of stuttering crap 🤣 (if its too slow).

Also possible: Your LAN is running at 100MBit (maybe)... check this first.

Edited by Zonediver
2 hours ago, Alcarimon said:

i’ve got a gigabyte lan but Tp-link power lan 

If you are using powerline modems to extend your network such as those from TP-Link, then the performance can be very dependent on the layout of the mains wiring.  In the UK, this method of connecting a network often works quite well for connections between sockets on one floor of a house since they usually share a ring-main circuit.  Performance between sockets on different floors is normally quite bad.    In mainland Europe and the US, it is common to feed each socket separately from the breaker panel, and this makes it much harder for powerline to give a good performance.

I am in the UK, and I use powerline for a couple of connections and 1080p rips from blu-ray are playing OK to Kodi.  But from upstairs to downstairs it is completely impossible and I use a 1Gbit wired connection instead.  

Edited by S80_UK