Motherboard Suggestions

So I got in on the Sempron 140 deal for $25 from Fry's yesterday and need a mobo to go with it.

Criteria:

MicroATX form factor

Support up to 10 SATA drives (Combination of onboard SATA ports + PCI-Ex1 SATA controllers)

unRaid supported NIC (unsure of Atheros NICs in future unRaid ver)

Costs less than $85

Potential:

Jetway JHZ03-GT-LF $79.99 (unsure of Jetway's reliability/doubt PCI-Ex16 slot can support x1 card)

ASUS M4A88T-M LE $84.99 (heard Asus mobos are picky)

MSI 760GM-P33 $54.99 (If next official unRaid release supports Atheros)

ECS A880GM-M6 $74.99 AR (ECS reliability?)

ECS Black Series A785GM-M $79.99 AR (ECS reliability?)

Obviously the MSI would be optimal, but the NIC is a huge problem.  Unless unRaid provides official support for it in the next release, it's really too bad.  An Intel nic would put the cost just about $85, unless someone knows of a cheap reliable Intel nic for less than $30.

Why 10 SATA HDDs?  I plan on using a LIAN LI A04B Case with a 3 in 2 drive cage for a nice compact NAS. ;D

Hmm, didn't know PCI-Ex16 slots work with x1 cards.  That's awesome, I'll look into that.

Also, I'd like to ask about any mobo that has 2x PCI-E x 16 slots with onboard video.  That'll be used for a 20+ drive machine.  The Jetway I listed falls under that category and relatively cheap too.

Obviously the MSI would be optimal, but the NIC is a huge problem.  Unless unRaid provides official support for it in the next release, it's really too bad.  An Intel nic would put the cost just about $85, unless someone knows of a cheap reliable Intel nic for less than $30.

I am not sure where you are located but the Fry's in the SF Bay Area are advertising that they match internet prices for in stock, ready to ship products from authorized dealers.  That means you can print out the price from Newegg for either Intel Pro 1000 desktop gigabit adapters (PCI and PCIe) and get them to match it.  They run about $30 at Newegg...

Regards,  Peter

I suggest the Biostar A760G M2+.  It could support 10 drives if you added a 2 port SIL3132 card (or similar) to each of the PCIe slots.  It is also one of the best and most reliable unRAID boards out there.

Thanks Rajahal.  I just bought that board from someone on ebay for $56 shipped.  Looks like a good deal to me.  I have DDR2 memory already so I can just take 1 stick and put it on this board.  2GB of memory should be enough for unRaid, right?

I suggest the Biostar A760G M2+.  It could support 10 drives if you added a 2 port SIL3132 card (or similar) to each of the PCIe slots.  It is also one of the best and most reliable unRAID boards out there.

Thanks Rajahal.  I just bought that board from someone on ebay for $56 shipped.  Looks like a good deal to me.  I have DDR2 memory already so I can just take 1 stick and put it on this board.  2GB of memory should be enough for unRaid, right?

Yes, 2 GBs is enough.  I didn't suggest the eBay vendor because there have been reports of that vendor's shipping of single mobos being sub-par.  I ordered three of those mobos from that vendor and they came in a box with airpack.  Others on this forum have said that single boards are shipping in just a padded envelope (around the retail box).  Hopefully yours arrives safely.

Yes, 2 GBs is enough.  I didn't suggest the eBay vendor because there have been reports of that vendor's shipping of single mobos being sub-par.  I ordered three of those mobos from that vendor and they came in a box with airpack.  Others on this forum have said that single boards are shipping in just a padded envelope (around the retail box).  Hopefully yours arrives safely.

Not really worried about circuit boards.  With no actual mechanical parts, I doubt anything could go wrong with the board as long as there isn't any actual physical damage.  HDDs or ODDs on the other hand are a different story.  I just hope the motherboard doesn't get tossed around too badly though.  I'd hate to receive a mangled box that contains what used to be a motherboard.

i'm using that jetway board with two supermicro sas cards, onboard video working and network, been 100% rock solid for the last two months, running 23 drives at the moment

You can check out my build at

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10085.0

Wow, that is a sweet setup.  I like your server rack.  How much did it cost to build that?  I was actually thinking of eventually getting one of those Norco cases, but that will probably a while from now.  I might actually have a source for an iCute A11-01 (Sharkoon 18) which would most likely come first.  Using 4 x Scythe Hard Disk Stabalizers, I actually end up with a case that holds 22 HDDs and save quite a bit of money over the Norco albeit it wouldn't look nearly as clean as your setup.