my recent Western Digital hard drives run hot

The last 2 WD HDDs I got run about 57°C when doing preclear. this is when my room is 72°F . 

One is a 8TB My_Book_25ED, still in the USB3 external enclosure.

One is a 8TB  WDC_WD80EDAZ shucked bare on SATA.

I think WD is saying up to 70C is OK, but that does not make me feel as good as when my Seagate drives only get to 38C during preclear.  

15 years ago, I started a bias to WD over Seagate.  But now  I am thinking of preferring Seagate.  What are you experiencing?

Edited by xrqp

The WD bare drive is in my main case with all the other unraid HDDs, with a fan and with proper airflow over every drive.

The WD external hard drive has the vent openings unrestricted for natural convection.  No fan in this WD My_Book.

They both run hot, and both were purchased in 2021.  I did not purhase any other WDs in the last 3 years.  I got 2 or 3 Seagate 8TB in the last 3 years, and they stayed under 40C.

Edited by xrqp
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, xrqp said:

I think WD is saying up to 70C is OK, but that does not make me feel as good as when my Seagate drives only get to 38C during preclear.  

WD has started putting air filled drives in the external enclosures instead of the helium filled.  Air filled drives run hotter. 

I have two 8TB EDAZ drives I shucked from external enclosures and they run about 5C hotter than the helium filled EMAZ drives when under constant heavy load and 2-3C hotter in normal operations.

However, even when preclearing, they never got hotter than 47C.  I remove them from the enclosures before preclearing so they have the case fans blowing on them.

Anything under 60C is OK even over a long period.  Lately, the concern about temperatures has been more about frequent swings in temperature from high temps to low temps and back to high, rather than a constant high temp.  It is the fluctuations that seems to be bad for the drives more than  highest temperature.

Edited by Hoopster

Maybe you have a lot of airflow on the drives, or got cooler WD drives than me.  I am beginning to feel that I will just get Seagate when on sale.  It tends to be lower price than anything else when on sale, and seems to run cooler than WD.  And I no longer have a feeling that WD is better and worth paying more for.