(Solved) Cache filled up, System halted, Advise needed

Hi,

i need to manage a download larger than my cache drive. I vaguely remember having set a max usage limit to 80% of the cache drive but can't seem to find it anymore. I thought the cache would fill up and overflow to the diskshare after it reached this limit, thus the huge download wouldn't be a problem.

In reality the cache drive filled up to 100% all dockers crashed and i had to reboot the whole system :/

How can i resolve this? I want to keep using the cache drive for downloads, offloading per mover at night.

Thanks!

diagnostics-20210510-1825.zip

Edited by likesboc

Check your cache-prefer and cache only shares, make sure they are not taking up to much space.  Also set "Minimum free space:" on your cache to twice the size of the largest file to be put on it.

FYI, cache-prefer moves files from array to cache when mover runs and is a common issue with cache filling up.

I have various shares using the cache drive. How can i achieve that they don't fill it up completely? The "minimum free space" setting doesn't make sense to me as it only applies to single files? I'd like all the shares on my cache drive to use up 80% of my cache so that i never run the risk of having dockers or other system shares halt.

8 minutes ago, likesboc said:

I have various shares using the cache drive. How can i achieve that they don't fill it up completely? The "minimum free space" setting doesn't make sense to me as it only applies to single files? I'd like all the shares on my cache drive to use up 80% of my cache so that i never run the risk of having dockers or other system shares halt.

What version of Unraid are you running?   For UnRaid 6.8.3 there is a Minimum Free Space setting for the cache under Settings -> Global Share Settings.   For the current UnRaid release (where you can have multiple pools) you set Minimum Free Space for a particular pool by clicking on it on the Main tab.

10 minutes ago, itimpi said:

What version of Unraid are you running?   For UnRaid 6.8.3 there is a Minimum Free Space setting for the cache under Settings -> Global Share Settings.   For the current UnRaid release (where you can have multiple pools) you set Minimum Free Space for a particular pool by clicking on it on the Main tab.

I'm running 6.9.2, that global pool setting is what i was looking for. I could swear i had this set already. What put me using it off before was the "not enought space error" that is mentioned in the description. I set it to 100GB and i hope this means it will overflow when it only has this amount left. Thank you very much for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 8:15 PM, itimpi said:

sadly it happened again, that setting did not prevent the cache from filling up. am i doing something wrong?

min1.PNG.8c360df58a068228909f39c5ce187797.PNGmin2.PNG.c95679bfcc3c870a9b30d0131ec1c3be.PNG

4 hours ago, likesboc said:

sadly it happened again, that setting did not prevent the cache from filling up. am i doing something wrong?

min1.PNG.8c360df58a068228909f39c5ce187797.PNGmin2.PNG.c95679bfcc3c870a9b30d0131ec1c3be.PNG

Not at all clear.    Have you checked what is actually taking up the space?    For instance do you have any dockers configured to use the cache/pool directly as this would bypass that setting?

And of course, any share set to cache-only will not overflow. Besides the usual appdata, domains, system, which shouldn't grow unless you have misconfigured something, you have a few other shares that are set to cache prefer or only. What is the purpose of these? How large are they?

You can see how much of each disk is being used by each user share by clicking Compute... for the share (or the Compute All button) on the User Shares page

21 hours ago, itimpi said:

Not at all clear.    Have you checked what is actually taking up the space?    For instance do you have any dockers configured to use the cache/pool directly as this would bypass that setting?

20 hours ago, trurl said:

And of course, any share set to cache-only will not overflow. Besides the usual appdata, domains, system, which shouldn't grow unless you have misconfigured something, you have a few other shares that are set to cache prefer or only. What is the purpose of these? How large are they?

You can see how much of each disk is being used by each user share by clicking Compute... for the share (or the Compute All button) on the User Shares page

I'm trying to manage a download that is larger than my cache drive. It is being downloaded into a share that uses the "Yes : Cache" Setting. Thus i thought it would use up all available space (900/1000gb see the setting from above) and then overflow into the array. It didn't though. For the transfer i'm targeting my share located at "/mnt/user/downloads/" - if i understand it right this shouldn't bypass the set limit of keeping 100gb free.

2 minutes ago, likesboc said:

I'm trying to manage a download that is larger than my cache drive. It is being downloaded into a share that uses the "Yes : Cache" Setting. Thus i thought it would use up all available space (900/1000gb see the setting from above) and then overflow into the array. It didn't though. For the transfer i'm targeting my share located at "/mnt/user/downloads/" - if i understand it right this shouldn't bypass the set limit of keeping 100gb free.

Are you trying to download lots of files or a single large on?  Files cannot be split across drives so if it is a single large file that is larger than the Minimum Free Space setting you would have to download it directly to a drive that has sufficient space.  The drive selection logic never takes into account the size of the file when selecting a drive.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

Are you trying to download lots of files or a single large on?

And if these are torrents, it could be that lots of files are getting created at the same time on cache, and then as they download, the total size becomes too large for cache.

6 hours ago, trurl said:

And if these are torrents, it could be that lots of files are getting created at the same time on cache, and then as they download, the total size becomes too large for cache.

i see, this could be it, it was multiple files. circumventing the cache drive appears the only valid option in this case. thanks for the guidance!

• likesboc changed the title to (Solved) Cache filled up, System halted, Advise needed