Correct USB Controller setting for Ubuntu VM?

Hi All,

The USB 3.0 ports on my SuperMicro motherboard are dead within my Ubuntu VM.  If I plug in a USB stick my Ubuntu VM does not detect it.  However, within my UnRaid OS my Unassigned Devices app detects any USB stick when plugged in.  The screen shot below shows how I have the USB controller configured in my Ubuntu VM.  Can somebody in the community please confirm to me if correctly setting up an Ubuntu VM requires I use the "3.0 Qemu XHCI" option  or the "2.0 EHCI" option or the "3.0 NEC XHCI" option?  Changing it from Qemu to EHCI killed my Nvidia 1030 passthrough. It no longer works.  Lastly, my VFIO list in System Devices has both USB Controller ID numbers checked marked and with GREEN dots displaying.  So, why is the UnRaid OS not passing through the USB ports to my Ubuntu VM?  I hope somebody can advise me what is the best USB controller option I should use for an Ubuntu VM?Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

image.png.25d614eada3526328908395a635275f3.png

29 minutes ago, slipstream said:

Hi All,

The USB 3.0 ports on my SuperMicro motherboard are dead within my Ubuntu VM.  If I plug in a USB stick my Ubuntu VM does not detect it.  However, within my UnRaid OS my Unassigned Devices app detects any USB stick when plugged in.  The screen shot below shows how I have the USB controller configured in my Ubuntu VM.  Can somebody in the community please confirm to me if correctly setting up an Ubuntu VM requires I use the "3.0 Qemu XHCI" option  or the "2.0 EHCI" option or the "3.0 NEC XHCI" option?  Changing it from Qemu to EHCI killed my Nvidia 1030 passthrough. It no longer works.  Lastly, my VFIO list in System Devices has both USB Controller ID numbers checked marked and with GREEN dots displaying.  So, why is the UnRaid OS not passing through the USB ports to my Ubuntu VM?  I hope somebody can advise me what is the best USB controller option I should use for an Ubuntu VM?Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

image.png.25d614eada3526328908395a635275f3.png

Sorry just reread your post do they show in lspci in the vm? The controller value is only for the passthru.

Suggest you post diags.

Have you mapped the devices to the VM? USB devices do not auto connect to the VM. They only get connected at VM Start ifyou specify in the template.

You can you the Libvirt hotplug plugin or my plugin to hotput when VM is running. 

image.png.93097e0943aef373fe01b3c4b30f6177.png

VM mappings on template

image.png.9305268cea6d558b8d9ac67660897296.png

Either 2.0 or 3.0 Qemu are fine for the controller.

Or have you passed through usb controllers to VM?

Edited by SimonF

SimonF,

Thank you for your post.  I have decided to follow the path of least resistance and buy a USB 3.0 PCI-E Adapter Card. It's much more easier to buy such an adapter card and then just pass it through using the VFIO Bind System Devices feature.   Thanks for your help.