[Solved] Billion parity errors after power outage


15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello.

 

I'm on 6.9.2. There has been an power outage, I did two parity checks after it and the same number of errors show up. Parity was full and correct before. Write corrections was enabled both times. Don't know about the first time, but during the second time I saw "Writing corrections to parity".

 

2021-05-11_10-10-46_firefox.png.b06a7ce1d7429d1f4102bc0ca30d91cf.png

2021-05-11_10-16-15_firefox.thumb.png.4cf7e4d8897cd86e35bfda854fb70e94.png

 

After the first parity check I tested all docker containers and they all started up correctly and seemed like no data loss. But I have 17.8TB of data so I can't manually check all of it. Smart data doesn't show any errors.

isuserver-diagnostics-20210511-0953.zip

Edited by Isus
Link to post
May  7 10:23:26 Isuserver kernel: mdcmd (36): check nocorrect

 

Auto parity check after an unclean shutdown is always non correct, 2nd one was correct so it's corrected now.

 

 

Link to post
10 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

May  7 10:23:26 Isuserver kernel: mdcmd (36): check nocorrect

 

Auto parity check after an unclean shutdown is always non correct, 2nd one was correct so it's corrected now.

 

 

 

Ok, I will start another parity check and will post result.

Thank you for your reply.

 

Kind regards.

Link to post

That many parity errors doesn't seem likely to be due only to unclean shutdown. 

 

Be sure to follow up with the results of the next check 

Link to post
9 hours ago, Isus said:

It finished this time with 0 errors.

That's good, though like trurl mentioned that's a lot of errors for an unclean shutdown, did you by chance do a parity swap recently?

Link to post
3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

That's good, though like trurl mentioned that's a lot of errors for an unclean shutdown, did you by chance do a parity swap recently?

 

Yes, I did parity check after. Thats the one on 31.3. on the first screenshot.

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Isus said:

I did parity check after. Thats the one on 31.3. on the first screenshot.

It can't be, it's an impossible speed, it can only be from a rebuild (or clear) of a smaller disk than parity (it's an old bug).

 

The billions of errors are likely the result of the parity swap, it's another bug, and as long as next checks find 0 errors you're fine.

Link to post
2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

It can't be, it's an impossible speed, it can only be from a rebuild (or clear) of a smaller disk than parity (it's an old bug).

 

The billions of errors are likely the result of the parity swap, it's another bug, and as long as next checks find 0 errors you're fine.

 

Why would it be impossible?  219MB/s for parity check after the parity swap?image.png.8760199cd5aae87212962d6f2be5f03b.png

Link to post
5 minutes ago, Isus said:

Why would it be impossible?  219MB/s for parity check after the parity swap?

Because your disks (and most if not all) can't read that fast over the entire surface, what's reported is the average speed, 153MB/s for the last check seems about right.

Link to post
1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Because your disks (and most if not all) can't read that fast over the entire surface, what's reported is the average speed, 153MB/s for the last check seems about right.

 

My parity is Seagate Exo and other are Iron Wolf Pros. So the speed didn't seem fishy to me.

 

 

Link to post

It is, because all disks are much slower on the inner tracks, so while the check can start at 200MB/s+ it will finish close to 120MB/s or so, so average can't be over 200MB/s.

Link to post
11 hours ago, rallos_hoo said:

finished, not over 200MB/s

If you want help with something you should start your own thread with a complete description and your diagnostics.

 

Hint: you need to get to exactly zero parity errors, so you aren't finished.

Link to post
  • Isus changed the title to [Solved] Billion parity errors after power outage

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.