Missing Key File on new USB Drive

A few months back, I updated to a new USB boot drive and would randomly run into issues where the server would run fine for a few days, then all of a sudden the registration status would show "Missing Key File" and all dockers and vm's are not accessible via GUI. However, they all still work fine and are running in the background. Checking the system logs i grabbed the screen shot attached which cycles through those errors in the logs whenever the "Missing Key File" is present.

Things go back to normal with a server reboot however it'll throw the "Missing Key File" every few days. I originally thought my new USB was corrupted so I reformatted the USB drive and flashed a backup. Things were fine for a longer period but then still resorted back to the same issue.  I then thought it was the USB drive itself so i got a new one and flashed the backup to that. A few days in and the same issue.

Now I don't think it's a USB drive issue and wonder if it's the actual Unraid install that got borked somewhere. I have no clue where to even begin looking and would hate to resort to doing a fresh install. I've attached diagnostics for info and any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

System Log.png

afterdark-diagnostics-20210511-0804.zip

Log shows flash drive issues, it dropped offline:

May 10 23:39:12 afterdark kernel: usb 2-1.6: USB disconnect, device number 4
May 10 23:39:12 afterdark rc.diskinfo[11534]: SIGHUP received, forcing refresh of disks info.
May 10 23:39:12 afterdark emhttpd: Unregistered - flash device error (ENOFLASH3)

If using a USB 3.0 port try USB 2.0 instead.

It's definitely on a USB 2.0 port. My mobo is the Gigabyte GA-7PESH2 and it's using one of the back panel ports. I could try the other USB port on the back panel to see if that would fix it or not and hope that it's only a bad port. 

If still an issue, then my guess would be to try the case ports from the USB header as a last resort and hope that it'll work.

Thanks for the responses.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I woke up today to a similar error on the dashboard saying no USB Drive again. I had tried a different USB 2.0 slot and it was working since the last failure at the initial post. 

I've attached the diagnostic files again after I rebooted but I'm not sure if it lost anything important from that or not. If I need to grab the diagnostics before reboot then I'll try to if it does it again. 

If it is the USB drop, then it looks like I'll need to look into a new mobo all together. 

Appreciate any help again. 

afterdark-diagnostics-20210531-1036.zip

Diags are after rebooting so can't see anything about the flash drive but there are some strange repeating SATA link down warnings:

May 31 10:37:03 afterdark kernel: ata4: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
May 31 10:37:03 afterdark kernel: ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
May 31 10:37:04 afterdark kernel: ata5: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
May 31 10:37:04 afterdark kernel: ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
May 31 10:37:04 afterdark kernel: ata4: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
May 31 10:37:04 afterdark kernel: ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
May 31 10:37:04 afterdark kernel: ata5: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
May 31 10:37:04 afterdark kernel: ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)